Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, after drooling over Ducati's for the last decade, I was finally able to take the plunge and buy one for myself. Got a 2016 Ducati Monster 1200 with 4,500 miles.

My concern is maintenance. It seems like there isn't much I need to be doing, if anything at all, other than taking it to the Ducati dealer for servicing, but I can't believe that to be true. Even my Toyota Tundra needs tire rotations, oil changes, shock rebuilding, and if I hadn't known to change the timing belt soon the engine could have been screwed. As for the bike, it doesn't seem that easy to find what kind of regular maintenance I should be putting into the bike - everything from simple stuff like chain lube and oil changes, to the bigger jobs and ultimately servicing the bike. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

And sorry in advance, I know this is probably asked ALL THE TIME. I checked this site for a good while and was not able to find a good source. To whom should know - every time I clicked on links in the maintenance section, it just circled me back to the original page.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Back of the owners manual has the intervals. or just ask Google. if the question is framed right the answer will just pop up.
Right now, if you do not have any service history I would ask a dealer and a reputable other mechanic.
The Duc Shop here near me set me straight as to what was really needed and wasn't. Some things are really tied to age... others just to miles, but the dealer will do it all if you let them. Your bike has a similar self destruct via the belts as your truck, like many imports that caught people by surprise when they moved from timing chains (American) to belts (Imports) that have a specific life.

If you know nothing of it's past. think, Belts, clutch, and brake fluid, and an oil change. Ask them for a once over...
How old are your tires? Mine came with Super corsa SP's... 5 years old. plenty of tread... I swapped them for new Rosso III's plus everything above and I know I have a decent starting point. they gave it a once over and now I go out and beat it like a rented mule (as best as "I" can) with confidence.

As in all things, maintenance is cheaper than repairs.

Rex

·
Registered
881 Posts
Unless you’re rich you’re going to want to do as much of the maintenance yourself as you are capable of. If you’re a decent mechanic there are YouTube videos of most of the maintenance procedures. Setting the valve clearances is the most complex, but many owners do their own.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts