Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again;

I swear I searched many times, but I couldn't find the info. I'd like to know which exhausts work better than others re: performance. Has anyone done Monster pipe dyno comparisons? I reeally think the Ex-Box is ultra-cool, but I have a feeling they're not high on the HP list, just because of the relatively small volume. They might be good on a 620, but I need a pipe for an 800 S2R race bike.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
sent you a pm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sure, but why a PM? Is dyno info on pipes secret info? :) Hey, anyone who might have dyno numbers, I'd love to know what you had w. stock pipes v. whatever aftermarket ones you used, especially if you also mapped for the pipes.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Also curious about pipes, esp w different i/d.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'm sure I'll get some flak for this, and I've never done the dyno comparisons you're looking for, but I've tried a lot of different exhaust systems as well as built a lot myself, and I find that the 2V motors don't seem to care as much as other motors. I doubt if any of the systems out there would vary more than 2-3 HP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This isn't too much of a surprise actually (your theory of the small variance). I know that a fw folks who race 800SS's have stuck with OEM headpipes and only changed the cans, as they made more power that way than they did with full systems.

I was hoping not so much to find the very top pipes, but more to avoid any that are bad. For example, if they make the same power as OEM's with cans, I'll buy the Ex-Box fo sho...I thionk it would be ultra cool in conjunction with a full fairing and exhaust outlets in the lower (this is a racebike...will have full 'glass regardless).

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I think Norm is spot-on, and I seriously doubt that different systems will vary by more than a few HP. I would include cored stock pipes in that assumption.

I had my 2004 M800 dyno tuned last winter at a local shop. With an open airbox, OEM headpipes, shortened+cored pipes, and a Power Commander, the bike gained about 7hp over stock for a total of 85hp. I think anyone using these common (and relatively inexpensive) mods on an 803cc 2v could achieve similar results. I seriously doubt that the performance would be better if I installed a set of Arrows/Termis/Spark/etc.

Here's the before and after dyno results from my Monster:

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Also think Norm is right, just interested if someone could present some
hard Dyno facts comparison.
Anyone have that of OEM/ 42 & 45 mm i/d?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Recently redynoed my bike after I got the Quat-D hi-mounts put on. That was the only mod I did and didnt change any ECU settings for the dyno (I couldnt, its a stock ECU). While I didnt necessarily get a change in peak HP or TQ, I did get more over the range. See in the graph the blue is the new run, red is the stock run.

I can definitely feel it in the midrange where I gained the hp and tq.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
if there's no big diff in dyno numbers, is there some intangible then that makes one exhaust system better/more desireable than the others? i'm partial to Termis, but only because of aesthetic reasons and the cool logo, plus the motto "nice cans" on the t-shirt. lol.

seriously though, since i don't have the chance to do a side-by-side comparo test, i'd love to hear from anyone who might have seen and heard them side by side in some group ride, etc. and i expect some "well i have Arrows and therefore they're the best...", but i think most on here are fairly objective and honest. so thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Honestly, it comes down to look and sound. That goes the same for most car exhausts also. What you pay for is the fit and finish of the product you feel aesthetically matches your taste on your bike along with the sound you want to get from it. You can wish all you want but exhaust is never a true major HP gain.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
"Honestly, it comes down to look and sound" - HyperM3, I asked Martin Eurosports where I could hear the sounds. I'm used to looking a product over, and if the sound counts, I want to listen to it before I buy (obviously new to the motorcycle scene!!). Where do you hear the sound? Martin's told me to listen to other's bikes and note which ones I liked, otherwise I'm picking them out of a catalogue. How'd you figure out which ones you wanted?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
lauramonster said:
How'd you figure out which ones you wanted?
Lots of group rides [thumbsup]. Thats basically it. You cant tell much from soundbytes online unfortunately. Not all audio recording equipment is the same and it all becomes digitized in the process. The only way you can is in person. Look up the local clubs forum and start a thread on finding people with exhaust in your area. Then try to meet up and ride with them or just give it a listen. Youll start to hear the differences in the many pipes out there and basically decide on looks from there. There was a site that had a lot of soundclips on it with all different model monsters which I keep losing. It didnt have that many different styles, just most of the popular ones. Either way, it took me a while to decide what I wanted, and that was just low or hi mounts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts