Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dream to own a Ducati has come true!!! Tonight I purchased a mint 01 S4 Senna Edition Monster from a collector. It's going to be a long three weeks till I go get it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that it has less than 500 actually miles on it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Congrats, that's an awesome deal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ducatis don't like to sit. Change the timing belts and the oil. May want to get the rockers checked also.

Welcome to the flock, the Grey and red is very striking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guy's...

Mizike77 - Yes this is the same bike. He has sent me dozens of hi res pics and I can say the bike is NEW! - mis-type, the mileage is 246.

Oconner - You are correct (true for most bikes I'd say). This collector had the bike taken to the dealership ever two years for a complete going thru to include fluid changes. I have all the receipts.

Can anyone tell me how many actually Senna were produced and what years? I know a lot of people call any grey/red or silver red Monsters "Senna's" as opposed to those that are badged as such. Ducati states just over 1000 S4's were shipped to North America in 01 but no further breakdown of that number.

Ray

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's a pic

·
Registered
100 Posts
Actually of the half dozen '01 S4s I've seen, they were all grey and red. I guess I thought they were all that color the first year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I know is that the following models; 400/600/750/900 were each offered in color palette categories of Dark/Standard/Metallic. A variety of colors and combinations offered for these models.

The new for 01 S4 was also offered in similar categories but with a much more limited color range;

Dark - Chrome (tank and seat cover), Grey frame and Black Wheels
Standard - Red, Yellow, or Black - Grey frame and wheels
Metallic - Grey - Grey frame and Fluorescent Red wheels

A Carl Fogarty edition was also offered in the S4 line up. Less than 300 were made worldwide. The Senna badged bikes were in the Metallic offering (Grey with Red wheels) with the addition of the badges.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks OConner for continuing the conversation, by Superbike do you mean the 1996/97/98, 916 I, II, & III's? I am not aware of the 01 996 Superbike being offered in Senna trim.

I'm trying to confirm number of the Senna badged Monster S4's - I have confirmed from the original dealer this is a factory Senna badged S4 but they don't know how many were made.

Looks like this might be tougher than I thought to determine...doesn't matter to much as I plan to ride it a lot...just curious.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks OConner for continuing the conversation, by Superbike do you mean the 1996/97/98, 916 I, II, & III's? I am not aware of the 01 996 Superbike being offered in Senna trim.

I'm trying to confirm number of the Senna badged Monster S4's - I have confirmed from the original dealer this is a factory Senna badged S4 but they don't know how many were made.

Looks like this might be tougher than I thought to determine...doesn't matter to much as I plan to ride it a lot...just curious.
Correct, I guess I consider all of the 916 iterations to be "Superbikes". The 96-98 916 was the only production Senna Edition Ducati I believe. The Monsters and Super Sports mimicked the paint jobs but were never tagged as SE bikes that I am aware of, though I myself call them Sennas at times.

One of the Ducati lists had a chart floating around with the build date and color for the US for every year monster. If I can track it down I will post.

Here is the Senna listing for the 916...

916 SENNA Brasile 1995 31
916 SENNA Europa 1995 150
916 SENNA Svizzera 1995 10
916 SENNA Giappone 1995 35
916 SENNA Germania 1995 30
916 SENNA Inghilterra 1995 15
916 SENNA Francia 1995 30
916 SENNA Europa 1997 151
916 SENNA Svizzera 1997 20
916 SENNA Giappone 1997 70
916 SENNA Germania 1997 30
916 SENNA Inghilterra 1997 30
916 SENNA Europa 1998 91
916 SENNA Australia 1998 34
916 SENNA Giappone 1998 41
916 SENNA Germania 1998 50
916 SENNA Inghilterra 1998 84

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here was a recall notice with 351 units built from 1/1/01 to 12/31/01 split between four models.

Vehicle Details
Reference : RM/2001/012
Manufacturer Ref : 554
Make: DUCATI
Model : Monster S4, M900ie SS750 and SS900
Launch Date : 7/1/2001
Numbers Involved : 351
Build Start Date : 1/1/2001
Build End Date : 12/31/2001
Recall Details
Concern : DETERIORATION OF FUEL LINES
Description : Flexible fuel line connecting the fuel tank flange to the pressure regulator may be liable to premature degradation and subsequently leak.
Remedial Action : Recall affected motorcycles and fit a quality assured replacement fuel line.
Vehicle Id : Various

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live within a few miles of the town that the bike was in. I swear I saw him riding it down the highway last week! How many S4s could there be in my immidiate area? It was on craigs for a while for a few hundred more than you paid. Sweet bike!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oconner - Thanks again. Yes, please post the list if you find it. What confuses me is that my Senna colored bike is "badged" as a Senna. it came from Ducati or at least Easter Cycle that way.

Mizike77 - That was most likely his buddy on the bike. I believe he did take to the dealer for a quick check over. The owner can no longer ride due to an ongoing inner ear issue (causes loss of balance). He has a collection of very low mile ducs that he will be selling on eBay. He has an ST listed currently.

·
Registered
100 Posts
From the website of Sigma Performance:

Senna's were made in three series, just under a 1000 in all. A charity fund-raising project for the Senna foundation they were standard 916 Biposto's with a higher spec of accessories. Carbon bits replaces plastic in a few highly visible areas like the chainguard and the mudguard and an aluminium subframe, it also had the most distinctive paintjob of the 916 series with dark grey metallic paint and red wheels.

Other than that I don't know. I've seen several S4s in those colors but none badged. Perhaps the PO had the decals added?
The 916 Sennas had a plaque on the triple...
http://www.ps-pt.com/UploadImages/Ducati-916-Senna-PSPT-09.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Once again...thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'll do some more questioning of the dealer. I'll also post pics of the trip home...one week from tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts