Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have done 2 searches about Champion Spark Plugs and pretty much came up empty handed:

S4 Spark Plugs: I was replacing my leaking GS battery yesterday and decided to replace my spark plugs. I went down to the local Autozone and they didn't carry that certain model, (Champion RA59GC) never even heard of it. So off I went to Pro-Italia with my used plug and to my suprise they had the plugs............ for $18.95 EACH......They told me that they were exclusive Ducati plugs and said if I could find them cheaper to let them know so they could buy them cheaper.....(I'll come back to that one)

So I paid $41 for 2 spark plugs. When I got home I went to install them and the top will not unscrew off the new electrode. Same part # on the used plug and the new plug, but two different tops. The new ones won't work unless the cap unscrews. The cap it turned out was one piece, as I found out by accidentally unscrewing it from the ceramic.

By this time Pro-Italia was closed, so I got on the internet. I did a Google search on this particular plug and Fast by Ferraci came up......$10 for each....(Same Plug). So I guess now I can tell Pro-Italia where they can get the plugs cheaper....GIVE ME A F**KING BREAK......An $8.95 difference between dealers on the same spark plug...

So then I went to Champions website, they don't even have a plug with that part # listed. It says it doesn't exist.

So now on I am trying to find anyone with similiar experience or suggestions on other plugs and where to get them...I have checked 2 other auto parts places for NGK cross referenced plug to no avail.

I think what burns me up the most is that for years I have bought my plugs at the local auto parts store. Dirt bikes and Ducs included. All for a couple $ max. Why put more money in the dealers pocket with his markup.

Until this one?

What Ducati and these local dealers get away with is criminal.

Thanks for listening to my RANT....
Rob

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
My bike was at GP Motorcycles in San Diego for 3 months. I was given excuse after excuse until finally they said I could pick it up. They charged me over $2100 for 13 hours of labor. All I needed was new rings and a coil. The list of complaints goes on, but the bottom line is that I wasn't going to take the bike back and complain just so they could keep it for another 3 months. So I chalk it up as a loss and vow never to take my bike to a dealer again. Now I do all repairs myself. Oh yeah... they put about 500 miles on it in that time and left it filthy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The same thing happened to me when Honda came out with the 2002 CRF450. The thing took some plug you could only get from Honda for $15.00 or $20.00. Then the next year you could get an NGK for the regular price, $4.00 or $5.00. The little stuff is the most irritating. Having the newest bike out there often cost more than the price of the machine.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
My experience with the service from Ducati shops has been very poor as well. My first 6k service took over a month and when I got the bike back I noticed that they didn't change the plugs or check/top off fluids. I also had them jet the carbs at this 6k service and found out later that they didn't even do that professionally...felt like I pissed 1k$ away for that visit. So with that being said I will not take by bike back to a Duc shop unless the repair/service is beyond my scope.

H

·
0 Posts
I have to say, the main reason I bought a Duc, wasn't just because it's a Duc, but because of the one man owner/opperator/mechanic/salesman/general good guy at Williamsville Competition, in Holland NY. People all over the north east buy and have service done there for the same reason.
Looks like some of you need to find a little hole in the wall, sh!t hole to deal with. Sometimes it's not the fancy window dressing, but the people inside that make all the difference.
Sorry to hear about the numerous screw jobs out there, but there are some who are reputable.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Somewhere I found a cross reference on Champions for the M900 ('95) the Champion 8809 was the new listing. Available at one of my local Walmarts for about $3, I think.

Right now I'm back on NGKs, but I can't tell much difference between them or the Champ 8809s.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Chris at California Cycleworks has NGK DCPR9EVX as the plug (I think) for $18 a pair.
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/elec.html

Found an x-ref to a Denso IXU27. Dunno if these are available on this side of the pacific........

Did a Google for 'NGK DCPR9EVX spark plug', and the 6th result referred to the S4R manual at ducati.com. :eek:
I'm gonna follow that link to see what the [email protected]<k is going on......

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M

·
0 Posts
It is a wonder some of these guys stay in business. When I got my 620 back from its 600 mi. service the service light hadn't been shut off (we've all heard that one), the timing belt covers were filthy with greasy finger prints, and the wire for the oil temp sender hadn't been clipped on properly. You better believe I did a thorough check to be sure they put oil in it! This was Ducati of Marin. They also kept my roommate's S4 for a month to do a base gasket under warranty, and we got it back with someone else's seat on it and the left silencer mounted wrong so it was loose as a goose! He's vowed never to let them have his bike again. I may be in the same frame of mind. Can't wait to see what happens when I get my free 6k service.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Not long before this thread started I was just pondering (due partly to my paranioa at finding some aluminum swarf on my filter screen - but that's another thread) how much I could really handle myself without turning to a dealer or other shop. I've always had an innate distrust of shops. The sentiments in this thread and numerous others like it reinforce my feelings.

I specifically wondered about splitting the cases, figuring that would be the most difficult and intimidating task for me to attempt. After looking through the trusty Haynes manual I discovered that splitting the cases and reassembly was only a 3-wrench difficulty item. Same as fork overhaul, valve adjustment, and a lot of other stuff that I can handle. In fact the only item that jumped out as a 4-wrencher on their difficulty scale was overhauling cylinder heads. No problem there, because when that day comes the heads win an all expense paid trip to MBP ;D Crankshaft work, if needed, likewise would be farmed out to one of the reputable shops around the country.

So having thought it through at length, I'm confident that with the Haynes manual, the collective wisdom of this great group at DML, and maybe a few exotic specialty tools for the growing collection - I hopefully will never have to pay a shop's ransom to get the Monster going again.

Of course, at the rate I complete work on some things, I would have to buy a beater bike just to keep riding while I did any really major repairs ;D

My point in all of this is not "Hey, I can handle this!", but rather that since we are blessed with a marque engineered to be worked on, many of us can do almost anything needing to be done on these bikes. No small credit to the DML and all you members for providing a lot of the informational resources needed.

S

·
0 Posts
I am kind of troubled by finger's post. You know finger this is what small claims court is for. It seems many people are scared to take places to court, which is a shame. They instead pay the bill and then reinforce the problem they should be trying to stop.

Kind of off topic but I had a bill from a apartment complex when I moved out. They charged me 2500 to refurbish it. I took them to court and they ended up paying me 500. The main reason I took them to court was I didn't want them to think they can do stuff like this and get away with it.

travis

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure if NGK Plugs are the same number Globally,
But from PNG I get that stuff from Australia & I've got the following info from my sources:

NGK Equivalent to the Std Duc Plug (well for my 900M anyway)
is a DPR8EA-9

in the NGK Iridium Range (Great Plugs)
DPR8EA-9 std = DPR8EIX Iridium
One hotter is DPR7EIX Iridium
& one Colder is DPR9EIX

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey. I've got a good dealer story to lighten things up a bit. [thumbsup]

I moved to Los angeles about a year ago and my bike got hit a couple days after i got here. some pretty good damage. I gave to Beverly Hills Ducati and they did a great job on fixing everything. They did the 6K mile service and i was having some other problems that they worked on and pretty much did it all for the insurance claim on the accident. [clap] [clap] [clap] ;D They got it back to me in a reasonable amount of time and it was so clean i felt ashamed at the state i gave it to them in.

I am taking it back today for the 12K mile service and some other issues (leaking oil and missing shifts and maybe a mod or two). Lets hope they do a good job and i can post another GOOD DEALER story up when i get back from the east coast.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ducseven said:
I cannot believe that nobody has had this issue
Oh, I have definitely had this issue. I changed the plugs right off with some Autolites, but didn't want to keep them since they are pretty cheap plugs. So I tried getting the right NGK's at Advanced Auto. Yeah, after 4 times of ordering the "right" plugs, I gave up. Still dont have the right ones. I guess I'll order from Chris at CA-cycle...

·
Banned
897 Posts
620mblack/Ti avenger said:
psstt... guys... this thread was three years dead [laugh]

you're so....... diplomatic. This is a sign of the new, kinder, gentler DML. ;D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts