Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take the Monster out despite the cold weather (55F). Did a little trek around town and then decided it was time for some low cost mods. Stopped in at a bicycle shop and picked up the Third Eye bar end mirror. First off- it was only $15, but it doesnt fit too well in the stock bar ends of a Monster. Wound up using some cardboard to get it to fit. Then I too off the fork reflectors, that plastic chain cover/ tire hugger deal- I dont know the technical term, so lighten up Francis. Also monleyed around with the license plate holder. Here in TX they make you put this ugly inspection sticker plate below the license plate so it makes the butt look even bigger. So I rigged it up now where the screws mount the plate at the bottom, instead of the top. Started taking the frame stickers off, but those are a pain in the rump. Then it was time to do a test run.
About 10 miles from my pad is Limecreek Road. This is always in the top ten for "best roads in TX. On the way out there, there are two road signs. The first being Twisty Road next 25 miles, and right after that is a 14% grade sign. I proceed to tear it up. Its not hard to drag your pegs on these roads, as there are alot of decreasing radius turns accompanied with the elevation changes. Funny thing is there are always the bone head cagers that think I like following them. I guess this is stupid because I dont have pics to go along with it. But... I will get them some day.
Well, for now this is the only picture I have found. If you get bored and want to dig around, do a Google for Lime Creek Road or FM222. Heres what I got though, just an idea of what the road is about:
http://www.miatadrives.com/miatatrips/txlrc3d.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
i would try WD40. if that doesnt work, you can always try acetone (AKA nail polish remover). dont hold me responsible if the acetone messes up the finish on the fork though ;)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
That would be Goo Gone, and that is Goddess to you ;)
Out of curiousity, did yours say Ducati under the reflector? Mine did in the old font :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fair warning: you may find that you dull the finish with Goo Gone, Soft Scrub or even Elbow Grease alone. :-[ I know I did-- those reflectors were on there. As for the 20-odd other stickers, you probably have heard of the hair-dryer warm-up for quick removal, yes?

That said, it's worth it. It looks WAY cleaner afterward.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
After removing the back fender-chain guard "thing"( was that the technical term you were trying to come up with ;)), now you have NO chain gaurd, correct?? you don't add a (new and improved) chain gaurd do you?? and just eliminate the fender?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, Mr./Miss/Mrs. Davis (its not specified in your profile), PM me your info if you wanna go for a ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just wanted to make a few points. Today is another day of below zero temps here in Indiana. Thanks for rubbing in the fact that you can ride and I can't. Actually, I've NEVER been able to ride my m900s. I bought it this winter.

I've also removed the fork reflectors. Use a hair dryer to warm it up first. Then use a label and sticker removal spray. You can get this at any auto parts store. Don't get in a hurry. (If it is below zero outside you don't rush since you can't ride anyway.) Remember, when you are removing stickers from any painted surface, even fingernails can scratch. Often you won't see those types of scratches until your solvent dries and you look at it in the sunlight. The fork reflectors can be removed with less care because you will not scratch the forks with fingernails.

Anyway, enjoy the nice weather. I'll be staring at my bike and waiting for a nice warm day. (I think I'd ride if it got up to 30)

Dirk

S

·
0 Posts
Oh, Mr./Miss/Mrs. Davis (its not specified in your profile), PM me your info if you wanna go for a ride.
i'm jealous!
i was down in austin on business a bit over a year ago and i met up with jonathan for a blast through the hills. you guys have some great roads around there. might have to pack up with the mrs & baby and move on down there ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Hey Dirk, I lived most of my life in Minneapolis, so I feel your pain. Tell ya what, you can rub it in when it is 80 in Indy, and 110 here!

I little sweat will do that fat @ss of yours some good!! ;)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I little sweat will do that fat @ss of yours some good!! ;)
thats the second time I have heard that in two days. One of my boys back home said the same thing last night. I do have my inspiration now. Did you see Average Joe last night when they showed the chubby dude that got kicked off? He started working out and drinking milk I guess. Maybe I should do that too.

H

·
0 Posts
Yeah, but you'd have to stay away from doobage and twinkies... That would be the hard part.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have yet to score a bag down here. With my short hair and dashing good looks, people have always thought I looked like a cop. I am trying to find the bad neighborhoods right now. Someone is bound to come through and save the day. Oh, and by the way, its not Twinkies- even though they are dee-lish, I have been eating those Little Debbies, namely the star crunch, mmmmmm chocolate..... :p

A

·
0 Posts
I took the fork reflectors off my bike and my friends. Both sets came off clean. The frame stickers on the other hand..those come off in little pieces and it's a pain!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts