Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy.

Well, due to a bunch of issues, I didn't pull the trigger on the 04 M1000 last week. One of those issues was money. It just occurred to me that there's about a $2.5k difference between an M800 and an M1000. So, here's the question: Is there a significant power (especially torque) difference between the two? I can't tell from the numbers on the ducati site so thought I'd ask.

Here's what I'm thinking: I know I love the M1000--demo'd it. I haven't demo'd an M800 (and not sure I could tell if I did). But the 04 M1000 was about $3k more than what I could deal on an 03 M800.... I think I could swing that...BUT, only if peeps on here can tell me about the differences.

Torque? Fittings? Parts? Anything else?

Thanks

Wannabe Duc

G

·
Re: Another comparison:

Wheelies.

Actually, there is quite a performance differance between the two. Tire size is different, and if you're thinking an 800 dark, there are differences in suspension, master cylinders, brake levers, and some other bits.

Too bad you're not looking later this year, you could buy mine with 3K worth of mods, all ready done.

BTW, what kind of price did you get on the 04 m1000?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If the choice comes down to getting an 800...>

or nothing, I'd say get the 800. No question.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks so far....

No, it won't be the M800 or nothing. If I get the M1000, it will just take me a month or so to get everything $-wise in shape, then get it. I was mainly wondering if the performance difference is that great....

Yeah, I did notice tire size...4.50 v 3.50 wasn't it? And no, not considering a Dark at all....

Ima keep diggin'...any comparisons appreciated.

--Digger--

·
Premium Member
496 Posts

Too bad you're not looking later this year, you could buy mine with 3K worth of mods, all ready done.
Herb,
Why are you thinking about selling your M1000?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts

The 1000 has the 5.5 rear wheel and the 800 has the 4.5 and the 160 tire. Not sure what the 1000 tire is. 1000 also has around 10 more HP. Definately enough more power to notice but for 3k more you have to ask yourself. If you put 3k into the 800 you could really have a sweet bike that was more personalized and probably pretty close to the same amount of power by then. I also think the 1000 comes stock with some carbon bits here and there. Both really nice bikes though.... if the money is no problem id probably get the 1000.

Thanks so far....

No, it won't be the M800 or nothing.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

I have to agree. My philosophy is that on discretionary purchases, you CANNOT compromise. It just sux to be kickin' yourself in the a$$ later because of the compromise; ruins the whole experience.

And lets face it, the Monster is a discretionary purchase. You can wait the month or two and swing the bigger bike. Do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Chicks dig dry clutches. If it's really a matter of only a month or so, why don't you wait? I mean, it's not like this is premo riding weather, even for us lucky Californians. Go for the 1k.

G

·

I had the same contemplation when I bought my 1000 (except being canadian, the price difference was almost $5K).

Anyways - differences between the 800 and 1000:

11HP
11 ft-lb Torque
22lbs
Fully adjustable fork
Dry Clutch
~1/2" seat height
Aluminum Swingarm

If you can get an 03 800S, you'll get the aluminum swingarm. As of 04, there is only an 800ie or dark - no S.

As far as I'm concerned, the 1000 is the bike to buy, and worth the money, which is why I bought it, and I've never regretted it. The 1000 definately has noticeably more power and better handling (via adjustable forks), but it is a bit heavier.

It seems to me like you're trying to talk yourself into the 800 even though you want the 1000 because of the money. If you really can't afford the 1000, then buy the 800. But if you're just wanting the 800 so you can get it now instead of a month from now, you're makin a mistake. Wait for the bike you want, and you'll be happier in the end.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

Buy the one you REALLY want, otherwise you'll be 2nd guessing yourself later on. The upgrades on the 1000 are pretty significant AND the 1000 is pretty much the state-of-the-art in air cooled motors.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts

Unless Ducati is offering major financing incentives, there are a couple of S4s around (discussed on this board and appearing on Ebay) with very low miles and expensive mods for well under the price of the M1000. I got a steal myself on an S4 locally with only 1200 miles.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Unless Ducati is offering major financing incentives, there are a couple of S4s around (discussed on this board and appearing on Ebay) with very low miles and expensive mods for well under the price of the M1000. I got a steal myself on an S4 locally with only 1200 miles.
I was going to bring that up. Brand new 02 (and 03?) S4s are out there priced lower than a new M1000. Adding another twist to your search!

·
Registered
668 Posts

M1000S in my opinion.

True that 3k$ on M800 you can be close, but then it is already modified and more challenges in hand with warranties and etc.

M1000 is Double Spark beauty. 180 rear and the biggest Monster excluding performance wise, S4 S4R.

2V dry clutch, all adjustablel suspension, ready for the track etc.

M800 all well also but there are differencies. It they matter, go for 1000, if not, 800 is a great bike also.

Skier

G

·

personally I think when you get up that high in price you may as well get a s4r.

I have a m800, now have sil hi's and s4 wheels.

G

·

I have to ask... Are u buying the bike to race, to cruise on, to tour on, to ride to work? Ask your self what u need it for or what u will be using it for...
If u are racing which I doubt yeah get the 1000 with more power.... But You're just gonna ride it here and there and later kick your self for spenig the extra $$ on 1000... I have no regret... I bought and love my 800 for what I used it for and how often I ride it and where I ride it its perfect and think the 1000 would have been just a waste of extra money for me... U could be different...

G

·

its all about hte sound too. definately the clutch sound is appealing !!!! that makes a ducati as well

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Ahoy Mateys.

I wanted to follow-up and close this out. Yep, I pulled the trigger on an 04 M1000. She's sitting outside my work at the moment singing her siren song: "Ride me! Ride me!" The work day has never been this long....

Thanks for all the advice and replies,

--Tom--

1 - 20 of 26 Posts