Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering clip-ons for purely aestheic reasons.
are there any performance enhancements to be gained by the mod?
any downsides? what about vibration.
I do like to do semi-long (200-300 mile) rides. any issues with that regarding riding position comfort?
Any little bits of info will be appreciated.
thanks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Completely different bike with clip-ons in a great way. I never had any vibe problems before but I'd imagine thi would help it so no vibe with clip-ons. Feels great into corners. On my long rides I jut tuck and lay on the tank....Back would hurt like that for those long highway stretches. It's a more aggressive riding position than my r6 was. I do love it though. I've got vortex's and 02' 620

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Performance wise, many Monster owners feel that more weight over the front wheel gives the bike a more "sporting" edge. Specially in turns. Hence so many of us have fitted clip-ons and raised the rear of the bike to gain that slight weight forward movement.

Down sides is probably more weight on your wrists, and probably not as out-right comfortable as the standard bars. This will vary from person to person. I have friends who both complain or like their clip-ons on long rides, but you could look for very adjustable ones (like the CycleCats etc) and try different positions and see what you like.
Just watch for tank clearance.
I'm sure a search will reveal more info to. [thumbsup] - Chris

·
Registered
799 Posts
Try a search. This is one of those issues that has been discussed a lot.

But to answer your questions:
"are there any performance enhancements to be gained by the mod?"
--Most people will tell you that it puts you in a more agressive stance (more leaned over the tank and towards the front) which will allow you to feel more natural when riding agressively.

"any downsides? what about vibration."
--Sure there are downsides. Comfort being number one. This very much depends on your size, but for shorter people like me, I just have to lean way too much so it ends up hurting my wrists after 30mins on the bike. Vibration is no more an issue with clip-ons than standard bars.

My general feelings on clip-ons are that some people like them and some don't like them as much. I'd say if you like to ride semi-agressively, you don't frequently go on 300+ mile rides, and you are taller than 5'10" then clip-ons very well may be the right thing for you. I like them on some bikes, but the monster feels too much like a city racer and less like a track bike to me.... so I vote for the standard bars. There is a reason Ducati chose to put standard bars on the bike.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
I have clipons on mine. I'm 6'2" 190lbs.

I instantly felt more connected to the bike in corners and under hard acceleration.

at first my wrists would hurt after 100 miles or so, but that went away when my back muscles got used to holding me in the crouched position. 300+ miles a day are no problem.

I think they give the bike a much meaner look. i like the lower profile on the front end, and when i look at it from the front it always reminds me of a bull.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've added clipons to 2 monsters and loved the feel for the road and track, BUT when I had a passenger, it was terribly uncomfortable.

We are still missing a REALLY adjustable solution.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
+1 For clip ons. Ever since I installed Cyclecats I fell in love with my all over again. It's much more aggressive now, and I have more control while in the twisties as they lowered my handlebar height roughly 6 inches from the stock postion.
Comfort for me isn't an issue (did a 300+ mile ride last weekend), I came for a competitive cycling background where my bikes were set up properly, meaning the drop from the seat to the bars was always at least 6 inches. On the motorcycle, even with the new position, the bars are level with the seat and can stand to go even lower but I'll wait to do that.
As far as the wrist discomfort, if you support yourself with your abs and also by holding the tank with your knees, your wrists should then be relaxed and loose. That makes a big difference comfort wise and also technique wise.
The only negative issue I've had thus far is riding in the city; since I'm short and leaning more forward on the bike, I have to really crane my neck up to watch traffic lights if I'm waiting for one to turn green. A small price to pay for what is essentially a new bike IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts