Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I wanna do something to my swing arm. And now that the wife wants a new 695 I'm looking at my plain sliver swing arm and thinking something needs to be done. I have a place to get it powder coated but I'm thinking about anodizing it black instead. Anyone done this before? Any idea what a Hard anodizing protects like and what kind of cost? I know the welds and stuff will come out looking different than the main arm but I think that might be a good thing. Give it a unique look. Any thoughts?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
It depends on your version of "unique", if you like it then it's fine. I'd paint or powdercoat it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,007 Posts
i had mine re anodized black which looks great and is quite tough, but i had to replace the nutserts as the acid ate them away.
cheers,
paul
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
loony888 said:
i had mine re anodized black which looks great and is quite tough, but i had to replace the nutserts as the acid ate them away.
cheers,
paul
Do you have an pics?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
In my experience black anodising seems to look kinda washed out, sorta purple. Maybe it was just poor quality.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was under the impression that Hard Anodizing would give it a better black. But it would still look different than painting/powdercoating
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
howley said:
In my experience black anodising seems to look kinda washed out, sorta purple. Maybe it was just poor quality.
I tend to agree. Most anodized parts I've seen also have this appearance. It is as though anodizing is somewhat transparent, which is why you see parts that get polished then anodized.

Powder coat is a thick layer of baked on powder, and can usually be any shade of black(or any other color) that you'd want.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Hard anodizing doesn't tend to fade like regular anodizing does, although I think the only colors you can get it in is black & a grey/green. There is only one shade of black on the planet, but after enough exposure to UV, regular black anodizing gets a purple look to it. Even worse, red starts to look pinkish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
I've actually seen hard anodizing in black, red, green, blue, and purple.

The real hard anodizing (I mean when its done with the right equipment and additives) is as durable, if not much more durable than powdercoating. The problem is finding an anodizer that knows what they're doing, has good equipment, and does a quality job. I think it's much easier to find someone who does good powdercoat work than it is to find a good anodizer. But if you really want hard anodizing PM me and I'll reccommend a few places.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
duc996 said:
I've actually seen hard anodizing in black, red, green, blue, and purple.

The real hard anodizing (I mean when its done with the right equipment and additives) is as durable, if not much more durable than powdercoating. The problem is finding an anodizer that knows what they're doing, has good equipment, and does a quality job. I think it's much easier to find someone who does good powdercoat work than it is to find a good anodizer. But if you really want hard anodizing PM me and I'll reccommend a few places.
Another process I had to look up on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodize
Can you PM me info on Hard anodizing so I have for future reference?

Thank you, I learn so much on this forum!
[thumbsup]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Another thing to consider is that paint and powder coating can be easily touched up, I don't know anyway to touch up anodizing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it penetrates the surface of the metal how bad of a scratch would it have to be in order for it to show?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Narflar said:
If it penetrates the surface of the metal how bad of a scratch would it have to be in order for it to show?
I'm sure the depth of the penetration is related to the metal in question, but most anodized parts I've dealt with(aluminum) actually shows scratches easily. The scratches might not always show clean metal underneath, but can be seen none-the-less.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top