Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the way that gold gas cap looks on my dark monster. I would like to get it anodized black so that way its still lockable and looks better. Where would I get something like this done and how much do you think it would cost? I'm in L.A.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My cap looks like it's painted.
You could paint it black, or get it painted.

Look in the yellow pages under plating for anodizers.
You'll likely get hit with a minimum/lot charge. You could probably get all of your removable aluminum parts anodized black for the same $.

Whereabouts in LA are you at? I'm out near Riverside.
Come join us at the SCMHA for a ride if you like:
SCMHA Forum

G

·
Anodizing runs about 55-65 lot charge and you can get alot for that amount. Be sure what you are sending- depending on the grade of aluminum it is the color can vary (even in black)

Where do you live,

G

·
i'm a big fan of powdercoating, but if the part can be anodized, i think it's the better route. (just adding a counterpoint to this thread). although more durable than regular paint, powdercoating does chip easier than anodizing and it also adds (very very very little) weight while anodizing is just oxidizing the aluminum surface with a dye in the tub (no weight added to my knowledge).
that said, for a part to look good anodized, it's gotta be VERY smooth. this is why billet parts look nice anodized and cast parts usually look like kakka. a cast part will have a much more porous surface (result of being released from the mold) which will have to be sanded smooth prior to anodizing for a nice finish.
soooooooooooooooo... in the end powdercoating _may_ be the better option as suggested by mostrack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts