Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a intermittent problem with my fuel light. It comes on when it is not supposed to ???
Not all the time just every now and then, sometimes even after I have just filled up. I haven't noticed anything that seems to trigger it, but it only happens when it gets hot, like in peak hour traffic, and it is more prominent if the bike doesn't start first go after it has warmed up.

Anyone had anything similar :(

·
Registered
474 Posts
yeah, my fuel light does weird things too.
i don't rely on it anymore.
i always reset my trip meter and use that as a more accurate indication as to when i need to fill up.

its just one of those ducati 'idiosyncrasies'
thats why we love them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had some trouble with the brake light on my bike. After much p1ssing around, I found a dodgy connector which I cleaned, tightened and waterproofed and that seems to have done the trick. The standard wire connectors used by Ducati (on my bike, at least) are prone to problems - at least that's what I got out of the Tech section...

Electrickery isn't my strong suit, but perhaps you could follow the wires out dash panel and try reseating them all...

HTH

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I experienced such an idiosyncrasy with the fuel indicator light on my (near new) monster on saturday.

It was bloody hot (about 3pm in the afternoon), I stopped in Broke (lower hunter valley), filled up, and about four minutes after i pulled out of the servo, the fuel light came on (and stayed on). Was OK the next day. I guess using the trip meter is a better idea :) With my bike (13l tank), once i am out of town, i stop to fill at every opportunity.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could let it go but it stares right at me when I am riding :mad:

I dont rely on it, preferring to use the trip metre to judge when I have to add more juice.

I found a dodgy connector which I cleaned, tightened and waterproofed and that seems to have done the trick
Will give that a try [thumbsup]

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah, me too!
My fuel light comes on but I notice that I always have to put fuel in it ::)

Trip meters are much more reliable. [thumbsup]

Mmick

·
Registered
285 Posts
monstermick58 said:
Yeah, me too!
My fuel light comes on but I notice that I always have to put fuel in it ::)

Mmick

Trip meters are much more reliable. [thumbsup]
I'll have to agree there Trip Meters are the GO [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

always use my trip Meter

Egas ;D

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
OK my 2 bobs worth.

Every fuel level indicator has only a couple of basic parts, namely the sensor, some wires, a light and power. With the light on it obviously indicates you have power. Most fault finding for fuel indications generally suggest that you disonnect the sensor and see what that does. If the light is still on then you may have a "short" to ground. Generally somewhere where the wiring rubs. If the light went off, the next step is to ground the sensor wire and see that the light comes on (normally short to ground is empty). If that all worked, well you've just eliminated everything from the sensor back so the only thing left it is the sensor!

I'd also check all connectors between the light and sensor, wiggle and pull apart and spray with WD40 just to be sure.

If you have a faulty sensor and you hate the thought of taking out a 2nd mortgage for a new one you can always disconnect it (anywhere along the path) to keep the light off and use your trip meter.

If all of this sounds too hard bring a six pack over my place and we can work on it together.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey mate...I've found Bevan at euro twins is always happy to have a chat on the phone with existing customers about possible issues with their bikes. He even did that for me about some small concerns I had about my Honda! [thumbsup] I think he just likes talking about bikes really!

Give him a quick call (on a weekday) and he might be able to give you some direction on what to look for.

If it annoys you too much and you can't fix it, bevan could probably look at it himself and not have to charge you too many $$ to fix it.

Good luck!

Greg

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a problem with mine as well, It doesn't work. I just look for fuel @ anywhere between 180 - 200 clicks - i dont wanna run out again :-\

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If all of this sounds too hard bring a six pack over my place and we can work on it together.
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Will keep it in mind. Thanks Monster_dorf.

Thanks Greg. It's due for a service soon so I might ask the boys at Euro Twins to check it out [thumbsup]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts