Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2V flaking rockers!

yup, pongo, my poor, salvaged 1997 m900, has flaking rockers. the opening rocker arms are toast! whole chunks missing. this engine seems to have been assembled late in 1995 based on all the casting marks. all the closers have patches where the chrome is wearing through, too.

yippee...
:) chris

G

·
aaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh....say it ain't so :eek:

no no no no no no.....take it back......that's a 4 valve issue, mebbe you got a bike with a test batch of rockers from the 4 valve parts contractor, please not the 2V's too

thanks Chris you know what I'll be doing this weekend, eyeing those damn rocker covers with great distrust and suspicion as if they were the very gateways to hell....Ducati hell, the 7th level

last time I changed the oil I found a few shiny flakes of metal on the mesh screen.....pretended they were from the tranny when I rode home with a dying clutch slave banging gears a little

maybe its just the 1997 small valve motors.....

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I had a chat with BCM's warranty guy when I was up for my 12k a couple of weeks ago.

He told me that he has indeed processed some warranty claims for flaked rockers on 2V bikes. He's rammed 'em through even on bikes past warranty. He said Ducati knows thay had a problem and have been working with him on the claims.

I too saw shiny flakes in the oil screen when changing my oil at 9k. so I was disturbed by this new revelation. He said not to worry it's still more likely to be transmission wear. The service revealed no rocker flaking problem.... this time.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Thanks Chris! Who'd have thought we were vulneralbe too?

Anyway, now that we have a potential problem - who' got the best fix? I read in a post somewhere that MBP did some of the best rocker reconditioning. Anyone know for sure, or have other proven vendors?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theonly way to catch the wear is to remove the rocker arms. this is only done when rebuilding the head or to change cams. no one will ever know until then if their bike is affected. :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Really?

An in situ inspection won't reveal the flaking?
Is it that localized; just on the contact surfaces, or what?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm with Don on his question. I was visualizing how to pull the closers off and drop the valve as far as possible with out losing it. Then using a dental mirror and inspection light to try and look at the wear surface on the rocker.

I'll definitely play around at it when I do my valve checks in a couple of weeks or so.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really? An in situ inspection won't reveal the flaking? Is it that localized; just on the contact surfaces, or what?
yes, really. on the 2Vers, the contact surfaces are immediately above or below the cam, which is located in the center (or centre) of the head. it is totally unlike the 4V setup, where the cams are easy to remove and inspect the rocker arms.

honestly, this is probably NOT a big deal at all. my `92 had bunches of hard miles and his rockers were fine. i've seen the rockers from a handful of relatively high mile 2Vers and they were all good, too.

heheh, i kinda played it up a little as a poke at the 4V situation (which did affect me, too) and as a reality check for the rest of us 2V owners.

:) chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts