Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lazing away the morning on the computer, I finally went to the garage to do some more prep on my recently acquired lower half of a motor. I had already cleaned the outside thoroughly and planned to check the oil filter screen and through-flush the crankcase with a good kerosene washdown. After that it would (I thought) be ready to start swapping flywheel/alternator, clutch, etc., from the current track bike motor, installing APE studs and swapping the cylinders onto it.

Anyone still remember the older motors tendency to back out the large aluminum oil galley plug from the left side of the crank? Sure enough I found aluminum shavings in the screen. So I rolled the crank around to visually inspect the galley plug. Bingo! it was backed out and contacting the crankcase - but luckily still in place.

So my once simple plan to get two motors running out of three by only splitting two cases has now bogged down and I will have to split the cases on all three motors.

On the bright side it will open the door for more in-depth inspection of everything before final assembly. And make it easier to justify balancing the track bike crank while everything is apart.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Perhaps one of your lower ends has a close ratio tranny you could swap into the SS?

Just looking for some kind of silver lining... :-\

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably not lucky on the close ratio gears, although it would be a nice bonus. The two motors not from the Monster are both SS motors. One supposedly a 92 and the other a 93. Since the track bike motor has been modded before, I'll double check the tranny while digging into it. Who knows? It may have been swapped over already.

If I understand Ducati bits and pieces correctly, the close ratio tranny will always be paired with the 1.84:1 primary gears and because of that the oil pump drive gear is also different to match the primary gear. The Monsters and SSs should be all 2:1 primaries if I've remembered it all correctly.

Just as an aside, I weighed the track bike this morning for the first time and got 392lbs with a nearly full tank of gas. My track partner and I knew the bike was light from loading and unloading it, and he had guessed it might go under 400 lbs. I'm confident the weight is accurate to within + or - 5 lbs either way. And thats with stock wheels and stock battery :eek:

But, yeah there always is a bright side to every problem. Because I will now have to go through every motor more thoroughly instead of just throwing one together and keeping my fingers crossed, I will end up with a more reliable motor and less stress worrying about it for only a little more effort and a little more money.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Per my understanding of Brad's Moto One info:
All 900 carbies are 2:1 primaries with the wide ratio trannies.
900SSie are 1.84:1 primaries with wide ratio trannies.
M900ie are 1.84:1 primaries with close ratio trannies.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Speeddog said:
Per my understanding of Brad's Moto One info:
All 900 carbies are 2:1 primaries with the wide ratio trannies.
900SSie are 1.84:1 primaries with wide ratio trannies.
M900ie are 1.84:1 primaries with close ratio trannies.
Wasn't sure about the M***ie
I know of at least one SS FE carby with 1.84:1 and wide ratio, so I'm not sure.

·
Banned
897 Posts
My owners manual says the 900's are 32/59, or 1/1.84. Doesn't differentiate between 900 and 900Sie.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew that some of the 900s have the 1.84:1 with the wide ratio gears as well as the 2:1s having wide ratio gears.

But I had read somewhere - I think in one of bruntr's threads on Speedzilla about his 966 buildup - that when he went to change to a close ratio tranny he discovered that they apparently only come paired with the 1.84:1 gears. I think I have it straight.

I'll definitely look at all three motors now to see what each primary set is.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
the 1.84 primary drive ratio came out with the 916sps and st2 in '97, then went intot eh big engines with the 3 phase alt except 748. the close ratio gearbox came out with the 851 tricolour kit in '88. all 851/888sp, 748, 916/996sps, '01 euro 996s, 900m ie, 998, 749 and 999 except s4rs come with the close ratio box. no relation at all between primary drive ratio and gearbox.

all the 900ss fe i've seen are '97 spec - two phase alt, etc. but i think i have seen photos of 3 phase alt fe. we didn't sell many. maybe 1 i think.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Just to add the little bit I know for sure:

S4 is close ratio box (one of the few things about my bike that still annoys the crap out of me).
S4R is wide ratio box.

AFAIK, ST4 and ST4S are wide ratio boxes.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Couldn't find specifics on the M1000 ('04 - pre-S*R) Monster on Brad's site.

Based on what's been said here, it's close-ratio, too?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
OT said:
Couldn't find specifics on the M1000 ('04 - pre-S*R) Monster on Brad's site.

Based on what's been said here, it's close-ratio, too?
M1000,1000SS, and MTS1000 are wide ratio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.