Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys for another oil thread, but I have not been able to find an answer while searching. :-[ Did my first oil change today with the help of the info. on this board and a buddy of mine to check the oil level while I kept the bike straight/level. When the oil level is checked a few minutes after the bike has been on for a few minutes and the oil settled the level is at its full mark. After a couple of hours the level is slightly above the full mark. Is this normal? Should I drain some out? I added 3 US qts after draining it. 2000 M750 Please advice.

Carlos

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
How slightly? The width of the marker line? 2 marker lines? If you're at one marker I wouldn't worry. More than that I'd drain a little. If you've got some sort of suction tool you could pull some right out of the fill hole. Either that or get your hand a bit oily.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Ducatis have a way of automatically adjusting their oil level when it is too high, either by burning it, or spitting it out the breather.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott R. Nelson said:
Ducatis have a way of automatically adjusting their oil level when it is too high, either by burning it, or spitting it out the breather.
;D

Thank you guys for all the advice and info. On a side note, I noticed this morning that while the bike is on its stand you see some oil through the sight glass. (Way lower than the low mark) Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
me said:
+1

and don't be so anal...
ha ha ha, yeah relax.

You're probably okay. If you let the bike circulate the oil for a few minutes and then let it settle for a few minutes and it was in between the full and low lines, then that's perfect. The longer the bike sits, the more oil will drain from the walls of the internal metal parts and settle at the bottom. This will make the oil level appear high.

If I have the dealer do it, they actually put more oil in it than I do. In fact, when I get it from the factory, the window is completely full of oil when I let the bike sit overnight. It has been that way with the last 10 new bikes I've purchased.

There is a very very very very small difference in oil amount between the upper indicator and the top of the window. This minor difference isn't going to harm a thing because I've made several complaints about my new bikes being like this and this is what all the mechanics told me.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Carlos,

No worries mate. Enjoy your bike and beat the heck out of it :) Don't concern yourself to much with oil level as it really doesn't matter that much. Sure, there are guys on this site that will argue all day long about 1/4 inch oil level height. But they don't have much true experience.

The only time you'd have a problem is if your oil level was REALLY to full. I mean, way way way over the window. But, if leaving your bike sit for a few minutes brings the oil level up to the top of the window.....................don't freakin' sweat it man. That's only a few drops of oil difference and wont hurt a thing.

Ride your bike and have a great time.

The weather here is perfect. Tonight, I had an excellent ride back from the northern county. Very nice. Beautiful 60 degree night.

Enjoy.

Tom

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thumper said:
Carlos,

No worries mate. Enjoy your bike and beat the heck out of it :) Don't concern yourself to much with oil level as it really doesn't matter that much. Sure, there are guys on this site that will argue all day long about 1/4 inch oil level height. But they don't have much true experience.

The only time you'd have a problem is if your oil level was REALLY to full. I mean, way way way over the window. But, if leaving your bike sit for a few minutes brings the oil level up to the top of the window.....................don't freakin' sweat it man. That's only a few drops of oil difference and wont hurt a thing.

Ride your bike and have a great time.

The weather here is perfect. Tonight, I had an excellent ride back from the northern county. Very nice. Beautiful 60 degree night.

Enjoy.

Tom
Thumper....thanks for the post man. People like you and many, many other here make this forum so much fun and informative. Enjoy!

Carlos Pi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts