Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was suggested I post this thread over here as well as the general forum...

OK, I've been lurking for a few months, (yes, I read the FAQ's and the kiddie boards!) and I am close to pulling the trigger on my first bike, and I thought I'd run some of my thoughts up the flagpole here - and see what the experts think.

So I'm 36, about to be divorced, living in NYC, and I at least did the right thing a few weeks ago and attended (and passed) the MSF Rider-Ed class. I've wanted a bike forever, and now that I'm (almost) single, I get to live the dream.

I have my heart set on a Monster 695 - in red - but I have a few questions that may lead someone here to think - no, you should not get a Monster.

1 - I live and work in New York City. I see Monsters all the time, but I'm still a relative Newbie and know exactly what this city is like on the roads.
2 - My goal is to take trips out of the city to the Princeton area (abt 65 miles) to see my kids, to the Jersey Shore (abt 90 miles) to see my parents and then just anywhere else I want to ride. The problem is those two routes are easily done on the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway - two roads I don't imagine are the best roads for motorcyclists. I may be wrong, but that's why I'm asking.
3 - I'm 5'10", and over 200lbs - I don't need a super-fast bike, I just want to have fun and be in control. There's no modest way to ask this, but should I be thinking of an entirely different kind of bike than a naked streetfighter for someone my size?
4 - I'm used to rough rides. My "daily driver" cage is a '97 Jeep Wrangler (120k+ miles), and my fun car is a restored '67 Mustang. I know what noise, wind and the feeling that EVERYONE wants to hit me is like.

I've liked Harleys and cruisers for a long time, but they're not for me at this stage in my life. I also just can't see myself buying a Japanese bike. I can't see myself walking into a Honda or Suzuki dealer. I don't like being a dime a dozen, sorry.

I checked out the 695 in the dealer before my Rider-Ed class, and since then I've checked out a few other bikes, but I keep coming back to the red Monster. I know you all know this, but they're just so cool...!

Anyway, there's a lot of crap here, and I appreciate your thoughts and experience as I get closer to pulling out the wallet for this. I can walk to Ducati NY from my place, so now it's a matter of time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally, I think that the 695 is the PERFECT bike for someone in your situation.

1) You live in NYC. The 695 is a GREAT way to handle the Manhattan traffic. Just make sure you have a garage that you TRUST. Do NOT park it out on the sidewalk, especially during the winter. If you can afford a private garage, do it.

2) As a new rider, the 695 is well within the "you're not insane" range, yet it should be enough "grow with you" as your experience level rises.

3) Travelling the NJTP or the GSP is no big deal, as long as you don't mind the monotony of the super-slab, and as long as you have E-Z Pass.

4) I like all kinds of bikes, European, Japanese, American. But I have to agree with you, the "unique" factor of the Ducati is appealing.

If you do get the bike, there's a LOT of riders on this forum and others that are in the NYC area. And most of us are pretty receptive to newcomers.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The only suggestion about the bike I'd have is that your interest in rough cars may not translate to bikes. If it did, you could consider the Multistrada 620. Not that the MTS is really an offroad bike but the extra travel in the suspension will handle the crappy roads in the city (and other places) better. You might also want to consider the S2R 800, it's got a little more power and more torque.

Riding down the shore is hell on wheels. It's mindnumbingly boring and once you're there, there's nowhere to ride. Obviously you'll see your folks but still, I hate riding down the shore. I ride about as far upstate quite frequently on my S2R 800 on 87 and while that's less than fun, it's way better than going down the shore on the bike.

Whatever you decide to ride, make sure you get gear, and good stuff too.

Good luck, and welcome. [thumbsup]

Oh, btw, if you're going to go to Ducati NYC, talk to Gus, he's freaking awesome. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
+ 1 for Gus...
+ 1 for a S2R

good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
tommys67 said:
I've liked Harleys and cruisers for a long time, but they're not for me at this stage in my life. I also just can't see myself buying a Japanese bike. I can't see myself walking into a Honda or Suzuki dealer. I don't like being a dime a dozen, sorry.
As far as a dime a dozen. I live in manhattan and see more monsters and BM'rs than ANYTHING else, (except scooters)! seriously! I think this summer the monster became the new "harley".

I suggest that if you want one, buy one used, especially if you're going to buy it now and not wait until next spring. Everyone is trying to sell their bikes now so not to deal with winter storage, so great deals can be found. Check craigslist.

here's a M800, stock canvas to start with, maybe you can talk down the price
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/232370283.html

as far as being wrong for wanting a Monster... GET WHAT'S GOING TO MAKE YOU HAPPY!! otherwise you are wrong! [thumbsup]
I would not have been happy if I hadn't got mine, and got somethign else at the time, I know I would have been disappointed otherwise.

Currently I'm looking to sell my dirtbike and get a motard(maybe a drz) to lower so I can get one foot down to ride around the city. [laugh]

my $.02

best of luck [thumbsup]

-michelle

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skdmrks said:
+ 1 for Gus...
+ 1 for a S2R
I already met with Mark (I think) the GM there. Great guy. Just having a brain freeze on his name - his card is at home. Maybe it's Brian... Anyway...

I thought about the S2R, but I'm planning on paying cash for this. $7,500 is a bit more palatable that $9,000, especially since I have to buy gear. Let's see, helmet, 400, jacket 400, boots, 250......there's the difference between the 695 and the S2R.

Oh yeah,

Let's not forget about the mods....... 8)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Industrial_Grrrl said:
As far as a dime a dozen. I live in manhattan and see more monsters and BM'rs than ANYTHING else, (except scooters)! seriously! I think this summer the monster became the new "harley".

I suggest that if you want one, buy one used, especially if you're going to buy it now and not wait until next spring. Everyone is trying to sell their bikes now so not to deal with winter storage, so great deals can be found.

my $.02

best of luck [thumbsup]

-michelle
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm probably going to wait until at least late January to do this. I have to wait until I'm actually divorced to make any major financial decisions. As someone noted, she could claim half, and these things don't run so well with just one wheel ;D

Last night around 10, a HUGE pack of liter bikes went past my apartment. At least 40 bikes. The sound was incredible. I dunno if any Ducati's were in the pack, it's tough to tell from just a top-down view.

I've been jones-ing to drive my Mustang through the city, but NOW I can't WAIT to be able to ride through the city!

Thanks!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Bill is the GM's name, I'd go to Gus myself but whoever you're comfortable with. ;)

Here's how you tell if there are Ducatis in the group:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa (Ducati)

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EvilSteve said:
Here's how you tell if there are Ducatis in the group:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa (Ducati)

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

[Borat voice] Very Niiiiice [/Borat Voice]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i think youll like the moster, if your looking for something a bit more rough you can consider the motard [thumbsup]

good luck ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
tommys67 said:
It was suggested I post this thread over here as well as the general forum...

OK, I've been lurking for a few months, (yes, I read the FAQ's and the kiddie boards!) and I am close to pulling the trigger on my first bike, and I thought I'd run some of my thoughts up the flagpole here - and see what the experts think.

So I'm 36, about to be divorced, living in NYC, and I at least did the right thing a few weeks ago and attended (and passed) the MSF Rider-Ed class. I've wanted a bike forever, and now that I'm (almost) single, I get to live the dream.

I have my heart set on a Monster 695 - in red - but I have a few questions that may lead someone here to think - no, you should not get a Monster.

1 - I live and work in New York City. I see Monsters all the time, but I'm still a relative Newbie and know exactly what this city is like on the roads.
2 - My goal is to take trips out of the city to the Princeton area (abt 65 miles) to see my kids, to the Jersey Shore (abt 90 miles) to see my parents and then just anywhere else I want to ride. The problem is those two routes are easily done on the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway - two roads I don't imagine are the best roads for motorcyclists. I may be wrong, but that's why I'm asking.
3 - I'm 5'10", and over 200lbs - I don't need a super-fast bike, I just want to have fun and be in control. There's no modest way to ask this, but should I be thinking of an entirely different kind of bike than a naked streetfighter for someone my size?
4 - I'm used to rough rides. My "daily driver" cage is a '97 Jeep Wrangler (120k+ miles), and my fun car is a restored '67 Mustang. I know what noise, wind and the feeling that EVERYONE wants to hit me is like.

I checked out the 695 in the dealer before my Rider-Ed class, and since then I've checked out a few other bikes, but I keep coming back to the red Monster. I know you all know this, but they're just so cool...!

Anyway, there's a lot of crap here, and I appreciate your thoughts and experience as I get closer to pulling out the wallet for this. I can walk to Ducati NY from my place, so now it's a matter of time.
private message sent [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
That Nice Guy Beck said:
private message sent [thumbsup]
There goes Beck trying to sell his bike again...

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I'm 37, a divorcee and relatively new to riding myself. My first real bike was an '05 M620. You'll LOVE your Monster. They're sheik, fast as hell (for a first-timer) and to the uninformed they're a two-wheel Ferrari. I suggest buying new b/c you'll have to come up with less upfront cash. As far as riding in NYC, it seems crazy from here. I might change my mind when I move to NYC myself.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
If you live downtown... I live not to far from where you are it seems... and want a ducati... buy one used now... spend less cash... winter is coming... end of January it will be the same. Bikes are let go cheap when people don't want to pay storage and insurance and what not through the winter. If its your first bike you can get a used 695 or earlier model year 600 pretty cheap. Check the NADA book value and then compare with what things sell for on EBay or craigslist and you get a general idea for street values and what is or is not a good buy. Might want to also make sure the ergos on the Ducati work for you if you are a big guy. Im 6'2 and find that even on my 900 sometimes Im a bit crunched up. You just decide whats liveable for you and what the trade off is. If I want comfort I take my VFR if I want the ride I take the Ducati... I also used to ride an SV650 and that was an amazing first bike... loads of torque... a great ride in the city also due to the fac that potential for damage is minimal in knock overs... and they are not all that run of the mill at all. Monster's seem way more common than SV's at this point.
Good Luck.... and any questions email... Im in the neighborhood...
John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts