Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about a getting a monster but i have worries that i am to tall (6,6) Anyone had a proublem with this or any ideas?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hey,
I'm 6'2 and look a lil tall on my Mdark750.
I know that you can modify the height on certain Monsters. The question is how much can you modify it. If i were you, I'd contact a Ducati dealership.
good luck

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm 6'2" and my M900 is as good a fit (with clipons) as any other bike I've owned/ridden. You are pretty tall. I guess you just need to do some test fitting and/or as much demo riding as you can.
Dion

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Im 6'3" and I am tall for the bike. Numerous people have commented on how small the bike looks. Theres no doubt. Monsters are small bikes. My response to people who mention it is that just because im tall doesnt mean I have to have a big ol' bike. I like things that are fast and light and manuverable..... and guess what... those things are generally small. And the monster being a "naked" bike makes it look even smaller compared to other sport bikes. All the plastic makes the other bikes look bigger when in reality if you took all the plastic off they are quite small just like a Monster. Im comfortable on my bike and that should be all that matters.

·
Registered
206 Posts
6'4" - a little tall for the bike, but it still fits well. i have to make sure to use good form and not hang my feet off the pegs when i turn.

make sure to sit on one and remember that seats can be raised, bars can be raised...

cheers!
steve

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm also 6'4", and initially I thought it felt a bit cramped, but now I feel fine on it. Nobody has mentioned yet that it looks small for me. My knees do go right to the edge of the cutouts on the tank. I find that the fit forces me to ride with the balls of my feet/toes on the pegs (rather than my midsole), as this puts my feet further back - this is definitely a good thing. Out of vain curiousity, I have given myself a couple of sideways glances at my reflection in large storefront windows (not in traffic of course!), and I don't think it looks all that small under me - of course the fact that I'm a skinny mofo at only 170lbs probably helps.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Marty is 6'2 and rides the Buell and Monster with no problems.
Mike, I thought you looked fine on your bike. :)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Side by side, the S4 series is noticeably taller and more massive than the air-cooled Monsters to begin with. You might find it a better fit.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm 6'3" and the Monster is definitely on the small side for me. Now that I have a custom Corbin seat it's at least bearable, but still definitely a bit cramped. I've gotten used to the size and love the bike overall, but at 6'6" I wouldn't even be looking at a Ducati, let a lone a Monster. The Triumph's are much more suited for larger riders if you want another naked bike...

-Jordan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seats and bars can be raised but at 6'6" you would probably feel a bit cramped in the knees. I'm sure it'd be fine but I wouldn't bet on doing very many 300+ mile days .. :eek:

I've met guys that are taller than me (6'3") and ride the likes of GSXR and R6/1 with no problem, and they have a tighter riding position than the monster.

Take one for a ride .. that's all you can really do.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are you going to use it as a fashion accessory or are you going to ride it? If you are going to ride it, go test drive one or at least sit on one. How does it feel?

At 6 2 - 230 I love my M620. The little beast is extremely fun to ride. Granted I don't do marathon sessions on it...

If you just want to look cool, buy a MV Agusta Brutal.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I am also 6'4" and I am a bit large for my bike. My knees don't fit in the cutouts and as has been mentioned, I need to be REAL careful of where my feet are in tight turns, especially starting out and turning left with my boot under the shifter ( I will tear my boot off someday ). This is mostly a secondary play bike that I do not take on long trips (though my wife does and has taken it to the mountains and to Daytona) and I have a ball when I ride it.

FWIW, I do not fit on any of the Harleys well either. But a seat, bar, & peg change allows me to do 700 mile days. If the Monster were my only bike, I could make it fit better. A seat that moved me back a little and raising the ride height would make a huge difference. As for the look, well Ducs are supposed to be small and light. That is not really an issue.

Doc

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
How do I raise my seat? ...get a new one?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I need to be REAL careful of where my feet are in tight turns, especially starting out and turning left with my boot under the shifter ( I will tear my boot off someday )
Letting the foot hang below the shifter is a common rider error, regardless of height. Make a mental note to yourself to simply stop doing it altogether. This can easily lead to a crash.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Gotta agree with that one syvan. As I mentioned in my previous post, I find it more comfortable to have the balls of my feet on the pegs anyway, but everyone's body is different - my experience may differ from the next 6'4"+ guy. Like others said, sit on the bike - it may look a little weird, but spend a few minutes in your riding position, as most discomfort won't be immediately apparent. A test ride would be even better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
At 6'3" (and 250 lbs.) I'm a little big for the Monster, for sure. Friends have commented about the mis-match (They're just jealous that I have a sleek, small, Italian model beneath me.)

Think VFR or GS-- I have friends at 6'5" and 6'6" respectively that own these models and are pleased with their ergonomics.

I have also worn the tips off the soles of my boots but I keep them well greased ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts