Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, long story short, I found a 2000 monster 750 w/ 20,000 mi. on the clock. Owner says he has proof of a recent service with belts, etc. replaced...problem is, it is about 1,600 miles from me. I am getting a one way ticket & plan on riding it home (making a little vacation out of it, stop a few times at motels, and see some touristy things on the way home)..I have a friend near where I'm picking it up that says I can use his garage to give it a good once over before I leave.

...it was a good deal, I think as far as price, and I am bringing tools, bailing wire & duct tape just in case & i'm a fairly mechanical person....and for the price of shipping, I can pay for a plane ticket & most of my motel bills...

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
make a list of hotels with bars along the way home

stop at every one, get drunk, pass out on the doorstep of your room, wake up, ride more

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vonkeswick said:
make a list of hotels with bars along the way home

stop at every one, get drunk, pass out on the doorstep of your room, wake up, ride more
...haha, funny you mention that, I was reading reviews on one motel, and I actually chose one because a few people complained that the bar attracted locals that drank too much! ...great minds think alike [clap]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
c_rex said:
Pray that your new bike doesn't get jacked somewhere along the way. :eek:
...that's a big concern, too. I have requested rooms on the ground floor w/ parking near the door, hoping I can just roll her in the room, haha...

what can I do other than a wheel lock (and maybe fishing line & a little bell, and a baseball bat) can I do...and remember, I need to be able to carry it w/ me.

G

·
If there is one thing that youtube.com has taught me it is this: knowing that your idea is stupid is no excuse for not following through.

Have a nice ride. Take pictures.

:angel: duc

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where are you picking it up?

Where are you riding it to?

You'll prolly find a couple DMLers along your route to assist as needed (especially if you break down and need a garage). Besides, someone's house/couch is cheaper than a hotel. Usually safer too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
picking her up in Beaumont, TX...Taking the 10 (for the most part) until I need to head north a bit to get to lake Havasu to meet some friends for the next weekend.

..i'll be stopping in Carlsbad, NM and will be touring the caves there for a bit in the morning before I blast off.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Ride safe and keep in mind that as soon you'll take it home, you'll need to have your oil replaced..

[thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
if you do it, get pictures [thumbsup]

·
Registered
474 Posts
Road trip! [thumbsup]

sounds awesome. Do it!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gordazo posted
Shoot. I wouldn't do it. At least not with a 20k mile used bike. But if you are daring enough (and mechanically inclined) go for it duc. And let us all know how it went.
Hey, I think it sounds fun. I just got back from a trip - Los Angeles to Alpine TX (Big Bend riding area) back to LA, 4-1/2 days, just under 3,000 miles (800 miles on Fri & Sat cruising twisties & high speed runs around Big Bend). Have some fun, checkout the Iron Butt Association, if you do a documented 1,000 miles in 24 hours, you get a funky sticker for your new bike (I did the return leg in one mother long ride, 1,060 miles in 19 hours). I think it would be twisted to have an Iron Butt sticker on a Duc.

My bike had 21,000 miles on it to start, never really gave it much thought that was too high to start a trip. Of course it is a BMW [laugh]

You might want to seriously check the tires, a rear can look good & just evaporate, especially on high speed runs across TX. Speed limit in TX on I-10 is 80mph. Little farm roads are 75. I would consider a radar detector for those long flat sections, would have saved me a ticket, lucky in TX its pretty much only a fine & no points or so I am told. Also, I got rained on in Arizona, and the deserts can be cold this time of year. Monsters feel pretty damn comfortable to me, I don't see a problem with 500 mile days. Heres hoping I have a Monster to take to Big Bend next year (a fantastik riding area, not really yet discovered or over run). The Ramada Inn in Alpine is very bike friendly, we had about 25 bikes there. They cordened off a big section of their parking lot for us.

BTW, I really love travelling solo, bike, Ipod, no worries. I'm getting the itch already & I've only been home 4 days.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
gordazo said:
Shoot. I wouldn't do it. At least not with a 20k mile used bike. But if you are daring enough (and mechanically inclined) go for it duc. And let us all know how it went. 8)
I would think a 20K bike is ideal for a long ride.
What is the concern?

·
Registered
783 Posts
NODNARB said:
...that's a big concern, too. I have requested rooms on the ground floor w/ parking near the door, hoping I can just roll her in the room, haha...

what can I do other than a wheel lock (and maybe fishing line & a little bell, and a baseball bat) can I do...and remember, I need to be able to carry it w/ me.
We do it all the time. I've slept in a room with four drunk guys and all the bikes and gear. :eek: Wait that came out wrong! :-\ Anyway you know what I mean. ;D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts