Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered the clip-ons for a '03 monster 800 from motowheels? I purchased the standard billet for $125. All that came was the clips themselves. Is there any hardware needed?? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I got mine direct from Redline before MotoWheels was even carrying them.

I got two clamps and two bars. No bolts. I called Mark and he told me he'd send out bolts. He didn't. That's right when whatever happened to Mark happened. Redline is no more.

I also got a sheet of directions. The required bolt sizes were clearly noted (the sheet actually said they were included. I may be able to find that sheet in my roll-away if I look.

I got stainless steel bolts from a vendor I found by Googling stainless steel fasteners. I believe I bookmarked the shop on my home PC.

If nobody else gets you the info, I should be able to get you the sizes and the link when I get home tonight.

You can also call or email MotoWheels. They really are quite helpful :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I received was the bars, clamps and hex bolts to attatch the two, no directions or anything else.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Oh well you got the bolts. That's more than I got!

Directions? Put a clamp over a fork tube. Bolt a bar on with one short bolt and one long bolt. Repeat. That's about all my instructions said.

With luck, your fork tubes are set up so that you have at least 20 mm of fork showing. If not, you'll have to raise the fork legs up to give the bar clamps full purchase on the tubes.

There are a few people who have posted how-to's on thier personal web sites with tips for rerouting the hydraulic lines and such. It's all fairly intuitive but if you're not too mechanically inclined, it's worth reading them.

If someone else would be so good as to post links......
I don't have any bookmarked and don't care to find them right now.

Also SAINT, if you search on clip-ons on this board, you'll bring up a number of threads, most of which link to the pages I've mentioned.

Good luck.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate your help! It sounds like I would have to loosen the triple clamp and slide it down so to expose the forks. All that is visible is the two bolts.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You're on the right track.

You have to support the bike when you do this. An auto floor jack under the front cylinder does a good job. Others have used straps to suspend the top tripple from the ceiling.

You have to make sure both forks are protruding the same amount. Keeping the front wheel in should take care of that.

Be aware that this change will affect your front-end geometry. You will end up with a steeper head angle which will make the bike more resposive to steering inputs, but also twitchier when you hit road irregularities.

Your '03 has a completely different rear geometry from my '99 so I can't tell if this will be a problem. I have found that the older bikes tended to be delivered with 20 mm of fork showing, while I noticed later bikes in the showroom with the forks flush with the tripple like yours.

Perhaps an owner of a new-style bike can comment on the geometry issues.

Note too, that I have raised the rear on my bike which (except for improved cornering clearance) has much the same effect as dropping the front on yours. I'm very happy with the change. So your bike could probably benefit from a somewhat more aggressive set-up anyway. OTOH, others prefer the slower steering nature of the stock setup. YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts