Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, this'll be the first time I get my bike (99 monster 750) serviced and I'm not sure about what the guy who owned it before me did with it. The shop (in Long Island, NY) is asking me close to 1200 for a carb cleaning/"6500 mile checkup." I would do the carb cleaning myself if i had a garage. Pretty sure the bike needs the checkup but am i getting ripped off here?

Appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
sounds way high to me
what should be done-
valve check
belts
clean carbs
change oil/fluids (prob clutch/brake)
check tires,chain/sprocket, brakes

are the carbs gummed and running poorly?

jeff h
monsteparts.com

·
Registered
139 Posts
what a f***** rib off, learn to do the servicing yourself it's not hard
I have a 98 750 monster that has done 137,000 Klms and still going strong, with regard to how much servicing they need is just over servicing bullshit.

Firstly the belts you don't have to get them from ducati they are just standard automotive belts and you don't have to change them as often as the manual say's, it is more a question of how old they are, the belts on my bike have done 50,000 I check them every 10,000 klms.
Second, the valve clearances hardly change at all "again over servicing"
learn to check them, I am a toolmaker and I have made a couple of shims they are still in the bike after 60,000 klm at the last 10k service the clearances are all good.
Thirdly how many miles has it done, the carbs probably do need looking at they can over time get richer, so I would suggest you find a good dyno tuner it should cost about 200- 250 dollars.

Cheers Jack

·
Registered
105 Posts
~Clayboy,

I live in Brooklyn and you're welcome to hit me up off list if you need your Monster looked at or need a second opinion. I have a few Ducs.

Also, working on these bike is not that difficult and can be done in a parking lot or the side walk.

You can email me at [email protected]

Which Ducati shop in LI?

Reet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts