Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the FAQ here on wheelies. I have been trying them a little bit lately. However, I have this image that keeps popping into my head. Basically it is me with the 900 Monster on top of me. I guess I am afraid that I will hit the over the top point before I know it and bang...me lying on the ground.

The other problem that freaks me out a bit is this...It seems that when the front wheel goes up the tendancy is for the rider to go back which turns the throttle in the "more gas" direction. Further increasing my fears.

How does one learn to ride a gradual wheelie? I assume a certain amount of throttle over 3000 rpm and she will come right up? My bike is stock in terms of the engine.

G

·
Baby Steps.... the way that I learned was to pop up the front a little at a time until your comfort level is high enough that you can pull off close to a 45 degree wheelie.
I would suggest playing around with the throttle while slowly rolloing in first gear. Make sure you don't get the rpm's too high. Depending on your bike, 3-4K should be enough to get the front wheel slightly off the ground.
Keep the bike rolling at a steady rpm (1st gear) and give it some gas. Once you feel the front come up, let off the gas and the front wheel should safely come down.
Gradually increase the rpm's until you are comfortable.
Trust me, you'll be addicted in no time!

G

·
IF YOU CAN GET SOMEBODY TO VIDEO TAPE YOU IT WILL REALLY HELP. YOU WILL SEE THAT WHAT FEELS LIKE A 4 FOOT WHEELIE IS REALLY LIKE 18 INCHES.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Seems like an ideal opening for something like this http://www.stuntwheelieschool.com/.

Several of the guys (and me) from The London Bikers went a couple of years back....It was MAJOR fun, but we learned a lot. Certainly helped when I was on a loaner M900!! Bit more power than my 600 ;)

Monsters are great for wheelies... This years World Stunt Champion uses one.....

;D

G

·
I must confess that wheelies are tough for me also. i have raced bikes for 10 years, and i am comfortable ridding my race bike onto the edge of the tires, yet I don't spend much time on 1 wheel. i have other friends that are just 'natural' on bikes and they are wheelie maniacs.

for me, the best wheelies are the power wheelies - the ones that the front end just kisses the ground. those are the ones that i can carry. i don't really like to have the bike vertical (like in those awesome pictures). i have had bikes vertical enough where i was sure that i was going over (tank in the face) and it scared the heck outa me.

maybe the guys who ride the serious wheelies just have a greater threshold than me. that said, a huge wheelie does not guarantee a better rider (even though the better riders that i know can do awesome wheelies). it's the same mentality that guys who go and 'hang it out' on the street' might not be that fast on the track.

i remember when i was living in Mexico that Larry Locklear (cmra racer of 80-90's era) came out to a new track in Juarez and did a couple laps of a new track for the local TV crew. he damn near did a whole lap of the track on one wheel. it was 1991 and i don't think that there were stunt riders. i remember him coming down the front straight with the bike vertical and banging though all of the gears (100mph?) with the bike completely vertical. he was standing up and off the side of the bike and just pointing at us and the camera.

it was amazing to watch someone so completely in control of a bike. the guy who built the bike was with me and he was pissed off that Larry was doing that to the rx7. he said that the engine wasn't picking up any oil because the oil pickup was dry at that point.

that's a wheelie.

G

·
There are many schools of thought to wheelies. The extreme guys tend to ride them semi full throttle and balancing with the rear brake. I could never do that myself. I always depended on HP to hold be up below the balancing piont. I too have the fall over backwards fear. After doing it on my V Max.

G

·
I'm also one of those crap wheelyers. I've just never been able to nail the really long ones, except once in a while on my dirt bikes. Some of us definitely "have it" and some don't, but it can be learned. I don't know where you live, but there are several riding schools out there that now also teach the fine art of the wheelie. It would definitely be cool to practice wheelies in a track environment on somebody else's bike. Oh yeah, one tip: If it's getting a little too vert, just tap the rear brake.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Keep 2 things in mind : if you are afraid you 'll never learn how to wheelie and if you don't fall...you'll never learn how to wheelie!That's the reason i've never pushed it too hard ;)

G

·
No worries my man, no worries.

Life on one wheel is like life with one woman,
not for every man... ;)

Seriously though, this "kiss-da-tank" idea presented some major limitations when I first dabbled with the single wheel. But, you will come to realize, as I did, the monster has plenty of engine brake to bring the front end back down if you reach the o'sh!t point.

Good Luck
Chris

G

·
Horsepower does'nt matter as much as throttle control. If you dont get scared sometimes you're not trying hard enough.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
To the original poster:

You haven't clearly stated how far up you've gotten the bike or how far you've ridden it with the front wheel up. I prefer wheelies where the front wheel is no more than 18 inches off the ground and it comes down for a smooth landing. Usually, that means starting at about 3-4000 rpms and coming down somewhere past 8000 when the power drops off. If you're not trying to get to the balance point and you're using power rather than the clutch to get the front end up, there is almost no chance of looping the bike. At least not with the M900 powerband.

I started fooling around with second gear wheelies last year, when I found out my M900 had enough power to do them on cold days. It required a little bit of weight shifting on flat ground, or I could go over the slight rise at an intersection where the road is slightly crowned and the front wheel would come up on the far side.

I would recommend that you go out and do about 100 18-inch wheelies in first gear so that you really have the feel for it. Then start working on the next step. 8)

By the way, now that the Monster is gone and I'm riding an ST2, I'm having to start all over again to get the feel for wheelies. I haven't gotten the front wheel more than six inches off the ground so far, but I haven't really tried seriously yet either.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I don't know what I'm doing wrong either, but WOT in 1st or 2nd doesn't yield anything for me (except for some scary fast acceleration). Maybe some people can wheelie, and some simply can't. I was an avid BMX racer, and I'm insane on a mt. bike, but for the love of god, I could never wheelie a bicycle...so the M900 seems hopeless.
I guess I don't have a problem with it :-/ .
Good luck to you though-and if you figure it out, let us know.
Tarik

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i wouldn't worry about being a wheely wimp. i personally like the idea of having the wheel that steers and stops on the ground.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have trouble getting it up, unless i chop the throttle, and then open it wide again at 3-4k rpms, then the front easily comes up.

my friend who is 6'4" can get the front of my bike up easy, i think it has to do with longer arms and just being situated farther back on the bike (i'm 5'9")

i think new gearing should make it cake for me to lift the front without having to manipulate the throttle too much.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I get up to about 4000 rpm and then chop the throttle back 75+% of the way. That gets a nice quick lift, and once I'm just above the balance point I let off for just a second for the wheel to just stay stationary or just barely drop, and then get back on it full throttle. By doing that I'm able to hold a bit above the balance point all the way through first, I don't have enough power to do a "sun", and I don't come back down until at least 8500 rpm.

Being able to watch a friend hit BIG wheelies, like almost vertical, has definitely helped my confidence. I can't ride them as long as he can on his Daytona, but I can get up just as much now. Then again the Daytona also has like 75% more horse power than the Monster, so just being able to hang through first gear is a good accomplishment IMO.

The only problem with this method is that about once a month I pop up a bit too quick and have to let the front end come down real fast, enough to bounce me out of the seat a bit, so that is a definite no-no...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blood,

That Daytona is a nice machine. I was tempted, until the Ducati soul thing bit me. I also liked the TT600 a lot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts