Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Speedymoto open clutch cover off my Monster yesterday and replaced it with the stock cover. It's really nice being able to hear the engine and Termi's instead of the clutch for a change. You still get a faint clatter, but it's muted instead of loud.

Does that make me a bad Ducatista? :) Seems like I'm meant to like the clutch clatter? (and having to explain to people that my bike isn't in fact self destructing).

I liked the look of the open clutch, but think I'll leave it covered for a while. It's a 10 minute job to open it up, and the DP pressure plate is hidden under there waiting to be revealed if I want a change of pace. Anyone else reverse an open clutch?

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Bad, bad, bad. Don't you know that loud clutches save lives? ;D

I still have the stock cover on my clutch, after 17 years of ownership. It works just fine.

PhilB

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was just saying this today. I'm putting the stock cover back on.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
If you don't mind spending some $$$ I put a Barnnette basket & Speedymoto pressure plate with Barnnette carbon/kevlar discs & corse half cover on my M900. Thinking I may go the same route with my 900SS now. You still get that beautiful sound but it's not nearly as loud & clangy. Down side.........it'll cost you about 800 clams.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the open covers look very cool but I just can't say I like the sound. I prefer the engine and exhaust tones plus I'm still getting used to the sounds of my m1100 anyway (not to first service yet) which is noisier than I am used to. Maybe after I get more used to it I will think about that change but not in any hurry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to get tired of it on my 748 from time to time and would bounce between the stocker and a half carbon fiber one. Now that I have the wet clutch M750 I miss having the option.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Clutch chatter is the most over rated sound on a duc imo. I really did not like it on my 996 and could not be happier to not have to hear it anymore on my 696. I believe most duc riders really dont like the sound we just embrace it cause its different and it makes us feel special :)

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
I think it sounds festive, like sleighbells. ;)

I've always wanted to get a bunch of Ducatis into a Christmas Parade, and stop and play "Jingle Bells" on the clutches now and then.

PhilB

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's done, the stock cover is back on. I like it.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Pure love-hate: love look, hate racket. I don't even ride to the corner store without ear plugs. Obnoxious at a stop light, but once I get on the gas it's back to the symphony of the Termis and open air box of which I never tire.

Can't bring myself to cover up the jewell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought it was me being old codger with the clutch noise. I'm going the same route you did..I may paint the stock cover to match something on the Pearl..gold on the shocks, red on the frame, not white...we'll see. Glad to see others feel the same way..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts