Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in colorado is awesome, the backroads are perfect for the '00 900 monster. But the bike isn't all that fond of the 5-10K altitudes associated with all those great rides. I always run a little rich even with a recent CO trim adjustment, and the bike stumbles a little more the higher I go.

Is it true that the weber 1.5 ecu doesn't compensate for altitude/barometric pressure? If so, then it seems that a pcIII w/ a custom tune is the only thing that would really help.

Or would an open airbox w/my slip-ons work w/o the pcIII?

Im also thinking about getting the ecu upgraded with a stock ultimap flashload (no ultimap tuners around here). Any chance that the open airbox would open things up enough that this would work w/o the pcIII?

As you can tell I'm trying to dodge the $600 pcIII + dynotune bullet. Thanks for the help.

R

·
0 Posts
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/weber.html
I understand it costs money and I am not so sure you running rich.
Once you change the A/F mix and the result is a poorly running throttle you need a way to check your work. That means a dyno.
you could also send the 1.5 to someone like Doug Lofgren, and have him flashload it to my map....I am running k&n and slip ons on a 2000 M900 and he tuned mine......I am sure it would be better then what you have now......but it would be better still
on a dyno with a good tuner.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
There's a real easy way to find out if opening up the airbox will help alleviate the rich condition. Lift up the tank and take the lid off then take the bike for a ride. You can do it in about 60 seconds.

I recommend taking the bike for a ride until it's good and warmed up, then stop, take the lid off, and ride it to see the difference. Stop and put the lid back on, then ride again to see if it gets worse. Repeat two or three times until you're sure of what a difference it makes.

If you're concerned about the air filter sitting loose on there, use some duct tape on the edges to make sure it can't fall out while you're experimenting.

I don't know about you, but I would much rather go through the "expense" of opening the airbox, than have to buy a PC III.

R

·
0 Posts
As I said I am not sure you are running rich, unless you have confirmed that somehow. I do however, like Scott's idea of trying to take the lid off and see what you get. Then let us know what happens.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
mtn_mstr,

Yes, unfortunately, the 1.5 does not compensate for air pressure (altitude), only air temperature.

It's definitely worth a try to run with and without the airbox cover like Scott suggested, it's cheap and easy. It will help you decide if you really are running too rich or not.

You can do the PC III without a dyno-tune, and fiddle with the map. My concern is that running too lean is far more dangerous to your engine than running too rich. You don't have to do the dyno-tune, but it will run better with a dyno-tune, and you will have the peace of mind knowing it's set up right.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/weber.html
I understand it costs money and I am not so sure you running rich.
Once you change the A/F mix and the result is a poorly running throttle you need a way to check your work. That means a dyno.
you could also send the 1.5 to someone like Doug Lofgren, and have him flashload it to my map....I am running k&n and slip ons on a 2000 M900 and he tuned mine......I am sure it would be better then what you have now......but it would be better still
on a dyno with a good tuner.
Very cool of you to offer your map, who is Doug Lofgren and how do I get in touch?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i sent doug an email and he replied the next day, AMAZING!!!

since he doesn't do monster ecu remaps off the bike, and I can't talk him into moving to colorado, i won't be remapping the ecu. he recommends going the pcIII/dynotune route, and that's what i'll be doing one of these days.

in the meantime i'll be checking out the open airbox as soon as the snow melts.

thanks all.

R

·
0 Posts
Good glad to hear it....Doug is very helpful and knowledgeable.
I am not surprised he would not want to do a map without the bike
on the dyno too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts