Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a pair of SMX+ boots for christmas. :) Although they look pretty cool and are damn comfortable...are they overkill? Should I take them back and get some less expensive ones and spend the money on something else, say the termi fund?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
No pipes? Find the recipt! - I don't have a clue what these boots cost, not to be rude, but if you don't mind, how much would you be adding to the termi fund?

Safety is important though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
No amount of gear is overkill, ever. The SMX is one of the best reasonably-priced boots out there. I have a pair myself, and the only reason why I'm not wearing them is because my Sidis fit me better.

Now that you have them, never ride your bike without them again.

-R.

PS: If you want to save a hundred bucks you can have mine. Size 10 1/2, worn twice, $150 shipped within continental US. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Like Terrible V said - now that you got them, wear them. I injured a foot and an ankle once a long time ago with just regular boots on. They helped a lot. Something like the SMXs would have probably kept me off crutches for six weeks.

They definitely aren't overkill.

I don't get on the bike now without the Alpinestars GPS on my feet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no pipes indeed, switch...i know, i know. :-[

the boot's are about were on sale for $220. I figure I could get a decent pair for about $100 so maybe $120 into the termi fund which, sadly enough, only has about $200 in it right now, so....I guess I'll keep them. Thanks for the responses. Maybe I need to lower my sights away from termis anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Burninator,

I know how important the pipes can be, too.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Like Mark said, just watch ebay - somebody posted on this board not too long ago that they got low mount carbon fiber termis for $500 or $525 - NEW! The fund will be there before you know it - but from reading the other posts - I think proper footwear is more important than I thought. Let us know when you get those pipes - you'll be in the club ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
im sorry if im dampening ur dreams...but what if you get the termis and ur bike gets stolen.......i cant really imagine putting anything expensive on a bike cuz it can get stolen so easily

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
im sorry if im dampening ur dreams...but what if you get the termis and ur bike gets stolen.......i cant really imagine putting anything expensive on a bike cuz it can get stolen so easily
Where do you live that crime controls your life?

anyway...insurance.

M

·
0 Posts
Those are great boots. You may have them longer than your bike. There is a big difference between $200 boots and $100 boots. There is not that big of a difference when it comes to slip-on exhaust systems though.

The Termis are nice but you can find systems just as good for less. You can have great pipes and great boots. Heck, we sell and stock Termignoni systems--but we run Sil Motor exhausts on our monsters...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hello Ryan,
Those boots don't happen to be the SMX-Plus do they? I am looking for a pair, but I think I need a Euro 44. I think thats a 9 1/2 US.

Let me know
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hey Rob,

They're the SMX+ in Euro 44. I thought I was a 10 1/2 in US?? They're red and black, would go well with the Foggy 8)

-R.

PS: These are the Supertechs, but they're similar to what mine look like - without the white on the sides and the red shifter protector ;D

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
My SMX boots have survived 2 crashes. One on the track and one on the street. Aside from a few minor scuffs they are perfect. Keep the boots and ride with piece of mind. You can't really put a price tag safety items.

N

·
0 Posts
should be a poll but, how many people ride with actual riding boots as opposed to steel toes etc. nice pic by the way, those are one nice set of boots ;D

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
should be a poll but, how many people ride with actual riding boots as opposed to steel toes etc. nice pic by the way, those are one nice set of boots ;D
If going for a ride, my Alpine Stars go with me. I have gotten so use to them that it actually felt odd the few times I didn't wear them.
GT

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've worn my SMX's everyday since I got them. The only thing is...in the rain on friday, i could barely keep my feet on the pegs. The boots (with what seems to be GREAT traction when dry) barely hold at all on wet pegs.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I haven't been caught in the rain on the street in a while, but I have raced in the rain. I did not notice any traction problems. Then again I have aftermarket rearsets on the race monster and the knurling on them is very different from stock.
GT

1 - 19 of 19 Posts