Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Almost $1k for 2nd service?!

3K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  goldenchild 
#1 ·
There was a thread not too long ago about DNA sending letters out to their dealers concerning service prices for the '07 bikes. Apparently dealers were charging way too much, so much so that DNA felt that they had to send out a letter. I wish I could find that thread but I've come up empty.

According to Ducati NYC (my local dealer), my second service (7500 mile) is going to cost me close to $1000, F*CK!! I just dropped almost $500 on my 1st service not that long ago and here am I about to drop another grand?!

Part of the reason I got a 695 was for it "Extended AND cheaper" service interval. WTF? Don't get me wrong, I love the guys over there but should I be shopping around?

#6 ·
That Nice Guy Beck said:
Golden thats really f8cking insane man.... even for the first service I paid $475 thats crazy, and now your telling me they want around $1000 for the second?!?!?!?!?! that sounds off to me.
Yup, that's what "they" told me, in person and everything!! I'm really p!ssed off right now.

Can anyone suggest an alternative place to get service done in the Tri-state area?

#7 ·
goldenchild said:
Yup, that's what "they" told me, in person and everything!! I'm really p!ssed off right now.

Can anyone suggest an alternative place to get service done in the Tri-state area?
well considering someone in that 600 service thread recieved a credit because they were only suppposed to be charged $135 for the first service I am writing an email to Ducati NA - If it was supposed to be $135 and I was charged $475 I'm sorry but that is just shady in every way.

#8 ·
you can't really compare nyc or the metroplitan area to anywhere else. If you really want to compare, ask for how many hours it will take them, parts are going to cost the same no matter when in nyc.

If your concerned about how much it costs, than you shouldn't even be considering ducati soho. If your going to be shopping around than I can guarantee you that it will be cheaper at anyother shop other than new york soho. They charge the most per hour. There like a hundred 110 or something an hour. Where as gold coast and rockwell are both 80 / 85.

The service on my s4r was about 1000 and thats around average (i've had friends pay 800 and 900), mine was a little more because I wanted them to tweak my power commander map a little and check out other things that weren't part of service. But either way, the actual work took 7.5 hours at 637.00 and the parts were 370 (but thats a four value). So the way I look at it, 7.5 for check/adjusting valuves, replacing all fluids, break pads, tps adjusting, syncing throttle boddies, plus some extra odds and ends stuff i asked for, is decent.

When ppl tell you how much they pay'd you should ask what the hourly rates are where they are and how many hours it took them, then you can get a good idea if your badly getting ripped.

that being said, the 07s should be a lot cheaper for servicing so maybe the guy didn't have his facts straight.

#9 ·
baz said:
When ppl tell you how much they pay'd you should ask what the hourly rates are where they are and how many hours it took them, then you can get a good idea if your badly getting ripped.
Thanks for the suggestion Baz. I was told that the 2nd service takes roughly 6 hours. At $110 per...

that being said, the 07s should be a lot cheaper for servicing so maybe the guy didn't have his facts straight.
I was under the same impression and seeing as how I trust the guys over there I assumed that he was correct.

#10 ·
goldenchild said:

rockwell cycles is where i get all my work done, they've done amazing things to all my bikes, i've had a 600 and a 6000 done there and the bike runnes better than ever. gold coast is my runner up, i've had a 600 with one of my old bikes there, they were decent and have great faclities there. i've had a couple things done at ducati soho, but when it comes to analysis, problem solving, fixing, tunning, i pretty much don't take my bike anywhere were I don't know all the mechanics capabilities (ie how long they've been working on ducati's specifically) and what their past history is like.

#12 ·
goldenchild said:
Thanks for the suggestion Baz. I was told that the 2nd service takes roughly 6 hours. At $110 per...

I was under the same impression and seeing as how I trust the guys over there I assumed that he was correct.
6 hours..hmm, i would check with others with how long their 6000s took for a 2 value, im not sure how off/on that estimate is. my 4v took 7.5 hours, but i also had them take my power commander off, check the terminals, check all my sensors with the mathis... so mine probably took as long as yours with 4vs...

ask around who else has gotten a 6000 done there and if they are happy with it. I am not familiar with their mechanics so I can't comment. But I do know the guys there are super nice and helpful: fabian, bill, evil steve ;)

if you trust them, like the convience of dropping off in the city, and have the cash.. go with them.

personally, i just keep going where i've been going and am familiar with + im not against (ie lazy) going up long island or fort montgomery. rockwell is at bear mountain so i pretty much go for a ride up hit the twisties there drop off and ride the twisties again when i pick up, so for me its actually better to bring it there. oh and rockwell guys will actually pick u up and drop you off at the metro north station...so its city dweller friendly. goldcoast is walking distance from the LIRR

#15 ·
When comparison shopping for service keep in mind you need all the information. Shop A may include brake fluid change etc in the service, shop B may charge extra. Some shops charge a basic price, then add for each valve that needs adjustment, some just charge a fixed rate. Also keep in mind you are getting an estimate. Some shops estimate conservatively , others don't. When my wife's car was new I let the dealer do the first service. Estimate $90ish, bill 40 something.

You also need to consider the convenience factor. If you live in the upper west side and work downtown you ride down, walk to work, walk back, ride home.

#17 ·
Wait a minute here. Ducati issued a letter to their dealers (I have seen it) laying out the cost for the first 4 services on the following bikes: 2007 Monster 695, 2007 Monster S4Rs, and the 2007 1000 Sport (not sure if that's the correct name). It spells out what the dealer should charge and what is to be done. It does NOT include the cost of fluids or wear items (oil, belts, etc.). I do not know of any other Ducati's that are covered under this. Ducati apparently feels, based (I'm assuming) on repair data, that many of the items that were adjusted or replaced in the past now only need to be checked.

YOUR DEALER KNOWS THIS. Insist on seeing the communication. Some dealers don't want you to be informed. OK...then DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. Contact DNA, let them know your issues. Find out exactly what was done to your bike, and what you were charged for consumables/wear items.

ASK QUESTIONS...keep asking until you get a satisfactory answer. Nothing will change until you do.

#18 ·
i would address the shop with ur concerns, they are good guys and have always done a great job of breaking things down for me after.

maybe because its an 07 model, they havent done that many and are over estimating so that you dont get pissed off in the end. i would ask them to please:angel: go through an itemized list with me. although that may be a hassle for the shop, let's face it we're not all made of money and one of the worst feelings is that of being shafted. besides that may will give you the exact idea of what to look for when you compare prices.

#20 ·
my 12K service on the bike i just bought used is costing me a HEAP, but at least it's less than what a stealership would charge:

8 rockers @ $45 per
1 cam at $499
8 hours for service @ $80 per
4 hours for cam/rocker install at $80 per
1 set pilot powers at $289 per
1 new a* stage jacket (just because) at $290 per
===================
$2,398

the work is being done at my buddy's shop, so i trust him. i'll hopefully get a bit of a discount, but ouch!

#21 ·
That price for a service on a 695 is ridiculous and should not be entertained. What do they charge to service an S4R- $1700?

I would try and find a dealer in Connecticut or even further if I had to and save myself $500. When I was shopping for a 620 Monster a year ago a local dealer near me in Boston said "under $400" for a 6k mi service and that seemed reasonable to me.

Additionally I would write a letter to Ducati NA and explain what you have experienced and how it had soured your interest in the brand. I'm getting tired of hearing about people getting ripped off for services on these bikes when there's nothing particularly difficult about them. The newest models need a fluid change and a once over for problems and a quick valve check-that's it. Any shop charging more than $450 to to do a 7.5k mi on a 695 is out to abuse their customers.

#24 ·
simonster said:
my 12K service on the bike i just bought used is costing me a HEAP, but at least it's less than what a stealership would charge:

8 rockers @ $45 per
1 cam at $499
8 hours for service @ $80 per
4 hours for cam/rocker install at $80 per
1 set pilot powers at $289 per
1 new a* stage jacket (just because) at $290 per
===================
$2,398

the work is being done at my buddy's shop, so i trust him. i'll hopefully get a bit of a discount, but ouch!
you're joking right? sounds like youre getting ripped off, no discount there. You can find those tires cheaper for one thing.

#25 ·
Howdy ya'll,
I just had my 6K service on my S4R done at Advanced Motorsports in Dallas. I paid for 6 hrs of labor @ $100 per plus parts (new belts, filters, fluids) for a total around $940. That also included a $20 environmental fee for disposing of my old oil and brake fluid. My bike was getting out of tune and felt much better after I got it back.
JP

#26 ·
sozo said:
Howdy ya'll,
I just had my 6K service on my S4R done at Advanced Motorsports in Dallas. I paid for 6 hrs of labor @ $100 per plus parts (new belts, filters, fluids) for a total around $940. That also included a $20 environmental fee for disposing of my old oil and brake fluid. My bike was getting out of tune and felt much better after I got it back.
JP
They charged you 20 bux to dispose of your fluids? That seems a bit high to me, plus, why did they replace your belts at 6k? Were they already worn? they are due for replacement until the 12k service...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.