Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

All You That Have Chopped Your S4R Tail

5K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  cdc 
G
#1 ·
Ok guys, I am sitting here and that tail section is getting old. I know that ElPatatoe mounted his to the seat but what did everyone else do. I picked up some brackets, aluminum plate, heatshrink and nibblers yesterday but before I start ripping here butt apart I wanted to see what the going way panned out to be. I know that the new monsters don't have the angled plate holes anymore and you have to fabricate a new holder for the rear lights.....

Just trying to get a feel here before I do something that can't be undone.....

Thanx

Liter

#3 ·
I did the pro Italia kit that required a hacksaw bob job. Looks Maaavelous!

BTW, literleaner: are there curvey roads in Tampa? I don't remember any. My helmet is off to you, riding in the face of spaced out geriatrics and crazed suicidal highway critters when you hit the boonies! (armadillos, snakes,dogs and such). If you ever get to SoCAl, you may wish to rent a sportbike!!! ;D

Rideon

G
#4 ·
Thanx for the replies. Where would I find this Pro-Italia kit anyways?

As for twisties in Tampa, you have to hunt, listen to others and hunt some more. I actually have a section of road that is sweet about 10 mins from my house.

This place is crazy as hell and I am 6 miles from SunCity Center. In case you don't remember that name, it is our local city that was created just for 55+ people :eek:

They are everywhere and you have to be sharp on a bike to survive around here.

G
#5 ·
Is this the kit?

If so, all I need is something like those brackets to make everything work? I have a license plate kit by evo so I don't need that part.....Looks like all I would need are some simple angle parts??

#6 ·
That looks like the kit!

The reason I stopped riding in Florida was that the geri's would stop at an intersection, LOOK IN YOUR EYES, then proceed to cut you off/run you over/force you off the road (pick one) as though you weren't there. In a high percentage of cars, the man drives but is legally blind, the wife navagates. Whew!

On the other hand, one can lay on the beach at the Don Ceasar, oogle exquisite female types and generally have a great time. I think Florida, at least Tampa/south Florida is the best place in the country for non-monster grins! ;D

Have fun and wear a helmet!
Rideon

G
#9 ·
I did a quick and easy chop that was free. I basically unbolted the license plate holder from the rear section, took off all the reflectors and doo-dads...drilled some new holes on the holder and rebolted the license back up.

I'll take a picture of it this weekend and post it....it looks good and it took only a 1/2 hour to do.

#11 ·
liter-

Laura has a template for a license plate + turn signal bracket. You may want to check it out.

-Mic

#16 ·
Looks good LL. I'm in the same boat as you - sick of the stock plastic rear end and sick of waiting for the DP C/F tail kit. I'm almost ready to do the same mod, but I'd like the tag to provide a little more protection against road debris. Here in New England there is always an over abundance of sand and stones on the road that will beat up your bike if left unprotected.....

G
#18 ·
Dunno, today is the 22nd day on my order. I ordered on the 9th of April, send Stuart 3 emails asking for a tracking nubmer and on the 3rd email I get one back saying he hurt his back so the orders haven't gone out? Anyways, he finally sends my order out on the 19th of April :'( and I am still in waiting......

My first order when without a hitch and I "assumed" that SpareShack was a large company with may employee's.....

I just hate waiting and this sucks :(

G
#19 ·
Looks good LL. I'm in the same boat as you - sick of the stock plastic rear end and sick of waiting for the DP C/F tail kit. I'm almost ready to do the same mod, but I'd like the tag to provide a little more protection against road debris. Here in New England there is always an over abundance of sand and stones on the road that will beat up your bike if left unprotected.....

Thank You Moe, once you get everything out and ready it wasn't bad. It took me about 5 hours with making my own brackets and painting them flat black to "fade" into the body. All the wiring was soldered and heatshrunk so I won't have any issues. I just wanted to make sure it was done the right way and nothing would come back to haunt me.

I am really pleased in the look and I am glad I did it......

#20 ·
What did you cut with. I have been sitting on a hacksaw and dremel for 2 months not waiting for my testi's to grow in. But still have yet to chop. I even got my blinkers. Its just a matter of time now.
I understand your Spareshack issue. But Stuart is a good guy doing the best he can. I am sure things will work out. What did you order anyway?

G
#21 ·
Wow that looks lovely!

I've got an '02 900 and bought a DP carbon bug eye rear fender only to find it doesnt fit! :mad:

So done a little bit of a mod on the tea tray to accommodate my smaller plate and tidy the back end up a bit but having seen yours I think full chop is the way to go!! ;D

#25 ·
literleaner,

I'm ready to chop my tail, where did you get those signals? are they mounted to your brake light??

-Jon

G
#26 ·
Jon,

Gimme your email addy and I will send you the same pictures and instructions I just sent another member. The signals are LockhartPhillips and they were about $20

The other items you will need is Mountainbike barend plugs 2 for $5.00 and Corner Brace Brackets $3.50. The only thing else I used was some flat black paint and masking tape.

LiterLeaner@yahoo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.