Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I've been reading about this Alisyn chain lube and how awsome it's supposed to be:
http://tinyurl.com/ybuj3g

Heard about a guy on an r1 that supposedly got 68k out of his chain and sprokets using this stuff...

I contacted the manufacturer and asked if they sold the stuff locally and here's his response:

Steve
Thanks for the inquiry!
I'm Afraid Not
Your local Lowe's store has Genie universal lubricant in the garage door section of their stores.
We rebrand our Chain lube for them.
Genie purchases about 50K cans per year from us with their lable on it.
you may buy a can there with our garantty that it is our chain lube with a different lable..
They sell it for $6.38 a can with no shipping cost to you.
Scott

Sure enough, Lowes has it so I picked a can up...Stuff comes out like snot (for lack of a better term), but I guess thats how it's supposed to be. Anyone else have any experience with this stuff?

Steve
05 st3
00 sv6fity

·
Registered
121 Posts
Use it sparingly as the stuff flings off onto wheels. I now use Dupont Teflon Dry lube - works great, doesn't fling off no matter how much you use and highly recommended by MCN [thumbsup] and you can get it at Lowe's too for like $5.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
desmo7 said:
Use it sparingly as the stuff flings off onto wheels. I now use Dupont Teflon Dry lube - works great, doesn't fling off no matter how much you use and highly recommended by MCN [thumbsup] and you can get it at Lowe's too for like $5.
Is the DuPont product recommended because of the lack of fling, or for it's lubricating properties?

Or both?

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iv'e been using the honda red label stuff and so far I loves it because it dries dry. But I picked up a can of this Alisyn stuff..it definitely doesen't dry. It comes out of the can like snot (for lack of a better term)..I wiped off the excess but it looks like it's going to sling crap all over the place.

I may try to pick up some of the dupont stuff or just stick with the honda stuff..The honda stuff sounds a lot like the dupont stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dupont makes it for honda.

Steve
05 st3
00 sv6fity

·
Registered
121 Posts
desmoface said:
Iv'e been using the honda red label stuff and so far I loves it because it dries dry. But I picked up a can of this Alisyn stuff..it definitely doesen't dry. It comes out of the can like snot (for lack of a better term)..I wiped off the excess but it looks like it's going to sling crap all over the place.

I may try to pick up some of the dupont stuff or just stick with the honda stuff..The honda stuff sounds a lot like the dupont stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dupont makes it for honda.
I wouldn't doubt it either. It would then come down to the price. I think the Dupont will be a bit less than the Honda name ;)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
desmo7 said:
I wouldn't doubt it either. It would then come down to the price. I think the Dupont will be a bit less than the Honda name ;)
and there are a lot more places you can find the dupont stuff

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Read the same review in MCN and decided to speak with George Morrision, (our resident lube engineer) to see if he had an opinion. The short version is DuPont has been in some litigation regarding this product and George does not recommend it. His feeling is that the product flings off at speed and is therefore not applicable to motorcycles. Based on that, I'll stick with the Maxxus Chain Wax until something else is proven better.

Stuart

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the info but if you base a chain lube product on the ability to not fling off, then a lot of lubes out there, specifically made for motorcycles, would not do the job, because 90+% of them fling off. I know George is our lube guy but if he is basing this on a 'feeling', I will keep using Dupont until someone shows me something more concrete. I've never seen any of the Dupont lube on my wheels ever unlike other brands (including Alisyn, Maxima chain wax, etc) that I have used.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Think you're reading a bit to much into the language I used as opposed to the content. But as always, everyone makes their own choice/decision, so the choice is obviously yours. With that said, I've observed that George only speaks to a subject when he's done research on the topic and has looked at the data. During our phone conversation, it was clear that the data he reviewed didn't support the Dupont Chain Lube enough for him to replace his current choice. So when it comes for me to cast my vote, I'll stick with the Lubrication Engineer. Choose wisely Grasshopper.

Stuart

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
desmo7 said:
What is George using? ???

Thanks lube Sana [thumbsup]
LOL - cute. George is using Maxxus Chain Wax and is currently developing his own line of chain lube. Did some testing with version one with volunteers from the MTS forum and it got rave reviews. Unfortunately/fortunately George is super busy at his paying job and has to delay the development of version two. Combine that with his fall and the resulting medical issues and you can understand that his chain lube development is on the back burner. I've been pestering him for a sample for several months and been told I'm on the short list when version 2 is ready.

I've been fortunate to get to know George a little - he's not only a bright scientist, but a real gentleman and a motorcycle enthusiast. And I'm pretty confident that he's anything but a b.s. artist. When he speaks about something in technical terms, my advise would be to listen or have a lot of data to support your case.

Stuart

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, just took the little sv out and can testify that the Alisyn does have major slingage ::) to the point that it's all over the edge of the tire..had to get some alcohol and paper towels to clean off the tire...

Have to admit, the chain looks good though...the o-rings are all nice and lubed up...What I will probably do is stick with the Honda red label as that stuff goes on and dries and has no slingage..I will occasionally give the chain a good lubing with the alisyn though as I have to guess this stuff does a good job of lubing/conditioning the chain and o-rings..

I just did the st's chain with it too...Figured it'd be good for over the winter.

Steve
05 st3
00 sv6fity
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been using the Maxima stuff forever without any issues (I learned to lube chain with this stuff back in the early 80s). Don't anticipate changing at this point.

Additionally, my understanding is that lube for chain is carried internal to links on modern o-ring / x-ring chains and is unaffected by external lube. The stuff we put on the outside of chains is to clean the gunk off and lube the chain to sprocket contact (anyone confirm / deny this?).

Ken

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with this...You have to keep the rubber rings lubed/conditioned so they don't crack, also, those rings are airtight so as time goes on, you could, and probably do lose lubricant that's trapped in them. Also, don't want the bloody chain to rust.

I've got about 19k on the sv with the original chain/sprockets..want them to last a lot longer.

My own thoughts are that it's not as important which chain lube you use (as long as it's made for o-ring chains) as it is how often you lube/clean it. But, we always want the best for our babies ;D

Steve
05 st3
00 sv6fity

Ddan said:
I think more importantly it's to lube the O/X rings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts