Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
dose bastages at cyclecat are insidious in their effort to remove money out of my pocket.... i'm thinking that pressure plate along with a nichols basket would be really nice on the 900ss.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I spoke to Alfred a little while back and he mentioned that he was thinking about coming out with rearsets that aren't as adjustable as what he is offering now. This would reduce the cost, which is the biggest (and only) gripe with his stuff. Perhaps this is the Cheetah line? ???

·
Registered
426 Posts
You guys are mostly correct. The Cheetah line will be less expensive. It is geared to racers so things like stock brake light switch wont be designed in. Adjustments will be either very limited or absent altogether. They will be offered in lots of colors and will generally be lighter then the Cycle Cat stuff. We will be coming out with rearsets for bikes we don't make Cycle Cat rearsets for first particularly the Japanese 600cc. The pressure plate is pretty cool it is taller so it protects your hub and springs in the event of a crash. I designed to be as light as possible with some added protection value plus I wanted a more functional high tech look then the flat plate you get from some other people. As to the cost issue there is really nothing we can do about it. You design a part you make it there is a certain cost involved you determine at what volume you need to sell and then determine a profit you add to the cost if you don't sell enough you go out of business which could still happen.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I just had a converstaion with Alfred, the owner of CycleCat, yesterday and mentioned the Cheetah rearsets. Now I'm not sure if I should be saying anything, though he didn't ask me not to. Basically the Cheetah's are going to be a less or non-adjustable, race-ready version of their current rearsets, at a much lower pricepoint. I already told Alfred that if he could keep the price under $400, and ideally (or is that a fantasy?) under $300, he would probably have a big seller on his hands. We'll see when they come out, but I think I'm going to be picking up a set...

-Jordan

·
Registered
584 Posts
Agreed. If I could find a set of rearsets ~$300, I wouldn't think twice. Personally, I don't need all the adjustability and $300 seems a reasonable price (and I good reason not to try making them myself).

There is definitely a hole in the market for a reasonably priced rearset. I have a lot of respect for the CC guys and their quality; I just can't pay that much for something like rearsets.
Dion

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Agreed. If I could find a set of rearsets ~$300, I wouldn't think twice.
we got S&P rearsets from redracingparts.com for $280.
exhange rate was better then...damn you Euro!
$337 currently.
(not to take away from the new Cheetas...im as excited to see them as the rest of you guys)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Not connected with Alex or CycleCat, but wanted to put in my $.02........

I was the engineer for a high-end machine shop for 4 years, so I've got some real world experience. The price for CC stuff may seem high, but really, you are getting what you pay for:

Flawless surface finish. The parts don't automatically come off the machine looking that nice. It's good tooling and fixturing, good programming, and good design.

Excellent anodizing. That's not automatic either. I can't speak for the anodizers in CycleCat territory, but we got lots of good work done. We got a bit of shoddy work done. We suffered from lost parts that were mission critical and schedule drivers. We got precision parts back that had been dropped on the concrete, then anodized.

Good fit and function. It was my responsibility to make that happen at my job, and I have tremendous respect for Alex and Alfred and all of the folks at CC for being able to make that a reality with their stuff.

I've been buying motorcycle aftermarket accessories for almost 30 years, and the vast majority didn't even come close to the level of CC parts.

Part of the price covers the equipment and manpower necessary to make the nice parts. Check what the monthly payments are on $50k to $100k machining centers, spread over 5 years. Oh yeah, make that 3 or 4 machines.....The guys that can make the good parts, treat the equipment right and be good on the job don't grow on trees, either.

Then there's workman's comp insurance, health insurance, liability insurance, rent or mortgage, etc, etc.

And the part "...if you don't sell enough you go out of business which could still happen...." I could tell you quite a bit about the cold, hard reality of that statement for the shop I worked for. :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
Again, I agree. I intended no disrespect toward CC. I wish there were more companies that offered the level of commitment and service that Alfred and co. offer.

And, having done a little machine and fab work (though not professionally), I understand how much effort, time and expense is involved.

My point was never that CC parts aren't worth the money. You can tell they are just by looking at them. My point was I, personally, can't justify spending $700 on rearsets. That's all.
Dion

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Dion. We all recognize the quality of the merchandise... it's just hard to pay that much for rearsets.

Cycle Cat is sensitive to the cost issue, though... they are looking into ways to reduce the costs. They'll never be $300, but somewhere in the middle would be nice....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Az and magnus,

I didn't mean to jump you guys, just felt like I had some relevant info that some folks might not be aware of.

·
Registered
584 Posts
No, bro, no offense taken at all. Just wanted to be clear I intended no disrespect toward Cycle Cat, those guys are awesome. Frankly, I wish it wasn't a big deal for me to spend that much for rearsets ... I'd already have a pair if it were! :p
dion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts