1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
How often do you have to recharge the air? I would imagine it would only be a good idea for drag applications.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
pennyrobber said:
How often do you have to recharge the air? I would imagine it would only be a good idea for drag applications.
i dunno... how hard to you think it'd be to mount a small air compresser to the bike? maybe put on a higher-output alternator, and run it off the bike's power?

;D [****-eating grin]

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just scared the **** out of my kids with that vid.

Yea, I cranked it. ;D

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Someone explain to me what is going on there. What is an Air Shifter and why does his bike sound like it's dropping small firecrackers as he accelerates?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
An air shifter is used in Drag racing, the clutch lever is used only to launch the bike, after that the Driver presses a small button on the left hand grip (you can see this in the vid) the driver can hold the throttle wide open, when the button is pushed the spark is retarted and the bike shifts into the next gear by air. It is used on high output engines for positive upshifts so you do not grenade the engine.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pennyrobber said:
He has two air cylinders, one inside each of the fake exhaust slip-on's (see attached), which he says last for 2 to 3 days of racing. I was just thinking of putting a small cylinder under the tail section.

zarn02 said:
i dunno... how hard to you think it'd be to mount a small air compresser to the bike? maybe put on a higher-output alternator, and run it off the bike's power?

;D [****-eating grin]
That's an ideal I haven't thought of. I'll look into it.

Chupa said:
How does it retard the ignition on a ducati??
I'm not 100% sure at this point, but from the wire diagram I downloaded it looks like it connects into the coils.

I just want to compete in the local NHRA races and see if I can place in the top 10 in the modified street bikes class. Considering the competition is mostly ZX-14's and Hayabusa's I don't want to aim to high. :p

Other then maybe the MPS air shifter set up, I'm going to replace the rear shock with an adjustable tie rod (the hard tail set up will help eliminate the front end left), and adjusting my Watergate to 10-11psi.

Any other suggestions...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
TurboMonster said:
and adjusting my Watergate to 10-11psi.

Any other suggestions...
Dont you mean wastegate?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HyperM3 said:
Dont you mean wastegate?
Ya, Wastegate... :-\ Typing to fast again...

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HyperM3 said:
Dont you mean wastegate?
Ya, Wastegate. :-\
Just typing to fast again, I'm not going to mess with "Water Injection"...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
TurboMonster said:
Ya, Wastegate... :-\ Typing to fast again...
Didnt know if you had some scandal going on.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Turbo, look up www.amaprostar.com they have multiple classes to run in, the NHRA is Pro Stock bikes only. Which was won this season by the V-ROD, also they were the first Pro Stock bike to run in the 6's. (189.???)

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
kopfjager said:
No, with that system you still shift the lever with your foot, an airshifter is just a push of the button.(see video)
I got that difference. :p But the purpose of both is to allow clutchless, full throttle upshifts, right? If so, what's the benefit to using a button instead of a foot lever? Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not positive, but my guess would be in a Pro Stock Drag Racing motor if you were to miss the shift you would lose the race and possibly grenade the motor, since those motors are pushing the limits.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.