Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating buying a set of the "Performance Wires/Plugs" I have been seeing. I am curious if anyone has seen any performance gains by adding these. I have an 02' 750. Anyone buy red aftermarker plugs, all I have seen are the yellow ones?

M

·
0 Posts
Yup, just installed NGK racing red wire. I also have a red Monster and find the red wires look pretty good. As for performance can't say yet just put them on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I inquired about those red NGK wires from Ca-Cycleworks - they look good, however, Chris said that he is not sure if my OEM coils allow new wires to be put on (hence, trying to get them off may ruin the coils). Does anyone know if this is an issue with 02' 750's (it obviously is not with a 00' 900 as in moscit's case)?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I got the yellow performance wires from Evoluzione (thought they'd be trick on the red bike).

Couldn't figure out how to get the stock wires out of my coils. Then Eric at BCM told they're soldered in.

The evo instructions said "just pull." Glad I didn't.

Anyone want yellow wires?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
some are soldered in, some are not. i don't think you will see a gain in perfomance unless you change the coils as well. the coils allow you to run a wider gap, giving you a better spark kernal. if you do not change the coils,just go for the NGK's that are equivelant to your stock Champions. your wires will fit them. if you want to go the whole 9 yards, contact Chris Kelly at Ca Cycleworks and he will set you up with the package.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Is there any rhyme or reason as to which bikes have coils with removable (non-soldered) wires? One of my wires just pulled out of the plug boot so I was thinking of replacing them, but I don't see any way to remove the wires from the coils.

moscit earlier in this thread said he replaced his on his '00 900ie, but knowing Ducati that doesn't mean that all '00 900ie's are alike.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
based on some non-scientific research i've done, i would ASSuME that early models (say 1994 and older) were screw in type and newer ones are soldered. given the "price" for learning if they're soldered, i'm not too interested in learning the hard way. ???

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I replaced my wires with the evo kit last spring ('02 M620). Besides the fact the evo instructions were BS, I had no problems...my stock wires screwed out and the new ones screwed in...no problems after about 3500 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts