Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a aftermarket triple clamp for a 02 S4. I really like the looks of the cycle cat but not sure if it will fit.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The CycleCat folks are real friendly, give 'em a shout?

G

·
They don't make one for the 02 on bikes.
But they are working on it... We are compiling a waiting list to move that process along.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I talked to Cycle Cat about mounting their clipons below the triple and they said that it could possibly interfere w/ the "ears" that stick out on the outsides of the top clamp. If you are never going to go back to the stock setup you could machine them off but that seemed a little much of a mod considering I don't have a CNC mill.

I mounted the DP clipons for pre 2001 monsters under the top clamp and they seem to be working just fine. THe only limitations I ran into was cramming everything onto the stock length bars. The solution was to make new bars, an easy $5.00 fix. Strati used the same system and didn't run into issues with mounting everything on the DP bars.

Also, look on Strati's sight in the other S4's section. There are a few S4's with CC clipons made to work. Just use your imagination.

G

·
i begged pleaded and cried like a little girl to get c'cat to produce a top yoke for the s4. seemed it was too specialized a market. well turns out all '02+ monsters could use the same unit if mounting for the guage cluster is taken into account. still no dice. take into consideration that going to clip-ons with a "regular" monster leaves the bar mounts protruding from the stock yoke like a couple of odd growths, and i honestly think there IS a market.

i'm not dissing c'cat. they definately make great stuff for reasonable prices (given the tip top quality). just saying they may've missed an opportunity here.

so what are the options? you can machine your top yoke for not too much $$$ like i did:
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/s4/pics/phaseII/tach.jpg

or if you wanna buy something pretty snazzy, check out:
http://www.styleandperformance.it/indexGB.html
and select "fork plates". anybody know where i can buy this stuff?!

G

·
if you click on Strati's link and click on newest 2nd page there are two S4 yoke kits shown.....S&P shouldn't be too hard to find...
I think the 1st one that says for 'alf' bars typo for half? means for clip ons?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Ooohhh...me likey those beefy triples. [email protected] you.. ;D
Wish I was good enough to feel the difference...

They mean 'half bars", the S4 and ST4 have the forged aluminum bars, bolt on top of the triples. C'Cat replaces 'em with an adapter that bolts on and then accepts 50mm clip-ons or the C'Cat risers.

G

·
if you click on Strati's link and click on newest 2nd page there are two S4 yoke kits shown.....S&P shouldn't be too hard to find...
I think the 1st one that says for 'alf' bars typo for half? means for clip ons?
http://www.psquaredstudio.com/Ducati/basiS4MagSemi.jpg
the yokes you pic'd above accept the stock bar riser thingies. notice they still have the "ears".

personally, i'd skip the offering for the s4, and go for the the set they market for the 2v'd monsters. that is if it's designed for the '02+ bikes.

We get stuff from S&P once a month.
hey martin, any chance in getting a pricelist? i tried emailing the folks at S&P directly a while back but no reply. not that i haven't given you guys enough $$ for this [email protected] bike, but i haven't gotten it a christmas gift yet ;D

G

·
I'm there with Strati, Martin......pricelist and pic's please.....they seem to even have yokes for 620 style bikes no pic's though....and other assorted goodies in the catalog...also a nice looking hoop for older monsters like mine.

G

·
I was told the steer tube is a different size for the 02 on bikes-there for the top yoke must be different. Is that true?

I'll have some prices nexy week when everyone gets back from holiday. I never thought of ordering these triples for the monsters. If anyone is interested, I can get the beefy lower triples made for the guys that have converted to SBK forks too.

G

·
I was told the steer tube is a different size for the 02 on bikes-there for the top yoke must be different. Is that true?
looking at the spare parts sheets from ducati.com...
2001: s4
2002: 620, 750, 900, s4
2003: 620, 800, 1000

all use the same bottom yoke. this indicates that all models' steering stems and forks are in the same orientation. this indicates they all COULD use the same top yoke since fork leg dimmensions are the same (50/54mm) across models and they all use the same steering stem ringnut.

only obstacle i could forsee is if the mounting position for the instrument cluster is identical. the instruments get tied into the the top yoke on the 2v monsters while on the s4, the "U" bracket that holds the headlight gets tied into tabs that protrude from the stock bar-riser thingies via a couple spacers. i think these spacers account for the loops that normally would be there on a 2v's top yoke so i think it could work just fine. wish when i trial fitted an '02 m750's yoke on my s4, that i went through the motions of mounting everthing in place including the gauges rather than just checking fitment over the forks/steering stem. argh!!!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

looking at the spare parts sheets from ducati.com...
2001: s4
2002: 620, 750, 900, s4
2003: 620, 800, 1000

all use the same bottom yoke. this indicates that all models' steering stems and forks are in the same orientation. this indicates they all COULD use the same top yoke since fork leg dimmensions are the same (50/54mm) across models and they all use the same steering stem ringnut.

------------SNIP-----------------
So, that means all 'ST' framed Monsters can swap fork legs with impunity?

What size are the 'Superbike' forks? 52/52mm?

G

·
So, that means all 'ST' framed Monsters can swap fork legs with impunity?
to my knowledge, monster fork dimmentions have always been 50/54mm. what would prevent you from swapping year to year is brake caliper mount spacing (40mm for early models, 65mm for late models) and/or axle diameter (17mm for early models, 25mm for late models). i think the caliper mount spacing changed somewhere in 1999 and i think the axle got bigger in '01. feel free to correct me if this isn't right.

but to answer your question, yep... all "st framed" bikes can swap forks.

What size are the 'Superbike' forks? 52/52mm?
53/53mm.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
I was aware of the caliper mount differences, as well as it switching in mid '99.

Axle diameter maybe was an ST-framed thing too?

53/53 explains the shims for the lowers, and the cracks in the bored-out uppers.

0.5mm shims. Ack.......

G

·
Hey Martin cool on getting prices, very interested in the S&P stuff in their catalog. Especially yokes and billet hoop. Definitely want to know more about the bottom yoke clamp for the Showa SBK's also. $? Who is making them? Feel free to pm me if ya like. T.I.A.

Nick whatcya thinkin bout? Forks and triple?

G

·
0.5mm shims. Ack.......
hey I resemble that remark

oh I believe I have the large front axle on my '00 Fi monster....but the small rear axle,, maybe fi bikes got the 25mm front and small rear until the st frames, changed the rear....??

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Mostly trying to understand what fits what.....

Those triples do look nice, but I think the insides of my forks need attention first...

No slag intended, but 0.5mm shims sound like a royal PITA.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts