Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tach for my 98 M900.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have heard the digital one's bite. FBF wants my left ,,,, for their tach and I just can't reason to pay that much.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Try Ebay, they come up fairly frequently.

G

·
I just installed an SPA tachometer that I purchased from Marietta Motorsports in Marietta, Ga. With a little work I mounted it in place of the stock speedometer on my 95' M900. It looks completely factory. Nobody notices that it's not the stock speedometer until I point it out. This thing is available with a digital speedometer in the face of the tach that actually works great. I mounted the speed sensor at the rear brake disc where it's almost out of sight. The digital speedometer has several neat features such as odometer, trip meter, it will time and record 1/4 mile runs, and will time runs from one set speed to another. The tach has three sequential, programable shift lights. At $400.00 it's not cheap but I'm really pleased at how it turned out.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I just surfed for SPA.

Wow! Those things look really trick.

One quick question: I notice they're battery powered. How do you replace the battery? If it's actually inside the gauge, that'd be a PITA.

G

·
When they say "battery power" they mean 12 volt. When I removed my speedometer I removed the two lights that are plugged into the back of the speedo and used the leads from one to power the new tach. This works great because this power is switched with the ignition key and it's all located in the original speedo housing so you don't have to run any extra wire anywhere. The instruction manual and wiring diagram are pretty complete and easy to follow. If you decide to try one of these I'll be happy to show how I mounted everything. It's simple and made a neat installation.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well the thing that threw me is that some of the descriptions mentioned a "low battery warning" indicator.

Don't know why you'd need that if the only battery involved in the main ???

It'd be nice to get all the features you listed (elapsed time, 0-60, accel, MPH) AND the temperature function. Seems it's either speedo or temp.

I have a DP aftermarket analog tach already. I'd only replace if if fails (as people here have reported they do). Then I already have a speedometer so I could just get the temp gauge, but I like those other features (though don't really need them, they'd only be to play with). It would be nice, though not important, to have an accurate speedo.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I have the SPA tach on the 620 but use the temp gauge as I dont care what the speedo says on the track. I love it. The programmable shift lights are nice too. My next gizmo will be the in the helmet display for the shift lights.

G

·
As far as the "low battery" indication, I can only guess that this thing wasn't necessarily designed with street use in mind and has provisions for it's own dedicated power source. The "low battery" indication was included probably because it was easy to do.
The wiring harness does has provisions for remote shift lights.
One other thing. The tach is not particularly water proof. If you ride in the rain or you're one of those crazy people who washes his bike every now and then you'll want to give some attention to waterproofing. It's not hard to do.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I had the Ducati Performance tachometer on my 97 M900. I liked it because it was the same brand and style as the speedometer, so they both matched. However I didn't like it because it went flaky within about a year, where the needle would jump all around between about 4500 and 7000 rpms. Fortunately it settled out before redline and at low speeds, both places where I actually used the tachometer, so I just ignored it. A very large percentage of those tachometers seem to have problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts