Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at after market bolt kits and other fasteners, in aluminum and titanium depending on the application, for my '01 S4. Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with a particular brand?

Thanks for all the input on this everybody. Here's a little more detail if you're interested.

I am planning on using Ti for any load bearing items like brakes and engine mounts, and Aluminum for non load bearing like belt covers etc. I've been told that Alu parts tends not to be as well made or accurate as the same piece in Ti. Right now, aside from MotoWheels, I'm looking at Alu from LighTech (From Yoyodyne; http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ ,but check out thier home site at http://www.easytest.info/torneria/puntivendita.asp?Lang=EN&startFrame=italia ), and Tasty-Nuts for both (Shipped out of the UK; http://www.tastynuts.com/site/frameset.htm ) Has anyone used either of these or heard good or bad about them? I just picked up the LighTech quick release tank cap and it has high quality finish. I haven't been able to put it on yet though so I can't comment on fit and was hoping someone might be able to.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Re: After Market Bolt Kits

I bought some of the Lockhart Phillips anodized aluminum ones in red and blue. The red looks pink, don't use em. They also can not be used on any load bearing parts, not strong enough. If you try and torque em down, they break, There is a bunch in the kit though and the sun will fade them also.

G

·

i got an aluminum bolt kit from www.pro-bolt-canada.com
shipping was pretty slow but the bits work well. relatively strong for the case covers, belt covers, etc.. but i wouldn't trust them to hold anything structural.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts

All of the aluminum stuff that I've seen sucks, and anyplace that I'd use them, I'm not gaining that much weight by using stainless.

I have a couple of the Tekbolt KTM kits. Super high quality stuff (It's all very pretty and shiney), and I tend to use them as just basic metric bolt kits. The downside is that most of the kits and steel bolts that they offer ate hex bolts or flange bolts, whereas most of the fasteners on the Monster are socket heads (they still work in many places, but it's more tools that you'll need). They do have a good selection of Ti socket heads though.

I also have several of the Desmoparts kits. Nice stainless stuff, direct replacement for the socket head fasteners on the Ducs, and they polish up OK, too. I bought a SS engine kit and a Monster kit and just organized them all by size in a divider box. I'll probably replace all the fasteners on the engine with stainless this spring, but I'll buy a new kit for that. These seem to be of the same manufacture of the stainless that McMaster-Carr sells, but it just keeps you from having to count/measure bolts and buy in large quantities.

I've bought Ti hardware for specific puposes from Motowheels.

I also buy quite a bit of hardware from McMaster-Carr. The only downside is that they tend to sell bolts/nuts in quantities of 25 or 100. Sometimes I'm willing to buy 25 packs if it's something common, but until I have a Garage Mahal I don't usually need stuff in those quantities.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
223 Posts
has anyone replaced the large button head socket cap screws that hold the stock rearsets in place? they are partially threaded and similar to the one pictured below. the head is quite a bit larger though if i remember correctly.

i'm trying to find them in titanium or stainless and don't seem to be able to find an exact match on any of the sites mentioned above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts