Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all

The title says it all. I've been mildly obsessed with Monsters, and Ducs in general, since I was I laid eyes on one in high school about 13 years ago. I held off and kept trying to convince myself that they are overpriced, too finicky, and cost too much to maintain long term. WELL. Blame it on COVID and a mild case of cabin fever, but last week I tracked down a 2014 Monster 1200 with just under 3000 miles for the right price and just couldn't think of a good reason not to buy it. So here I am. Proud owner of what is legitimately one of the best bikes I've ever wrapped my legs around in terms of performance and style, and I don't regret a thing. I've spent 5 years buying wrecked SV650's and tuning the hell out of em and even going so far as doing Monster seat and tail conversions to try and build what I called "The Poor Mans Monster", and boy do I feel like a fool for for thinking it was possible to even come close lol.

I've been repairing/restoring primarily BMW Airheads for about 8 years, but have worked on and restored a myriad of different bikes, so one of my main purposes of joining the group is to poke around the tech areas and pick brains whenever necessary to try and build my Duc knowledge and know-how.

I think that just about sums it up for me at this point, but if you have any questions just ask!

I really appreciate the opportunity to get to know you guys and learn as much as possible!

-John

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of the most beautiful bikes of all time

But, for my part, looks better in red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey y'all

The title says it all. I've been mildly obsessed with Monsters, and Ducs in general, since I was I laid eyes on one in high school about 13 years ago. I held off and kept trying to convince myself that they are overpriced, too finicky, and cost too much to maintain long term. WELL. Blame it on COVID and a mild case of cabin fever, but last week I tracked down a 2014 Monster 1200 with just under 3000 miles for the right price and just couldn't think of a good reason not to buy it. So here I am. Proud owner of what is legitimately one of the best bikes I've ever wrapped my legs around in terms of performance and style, and I don't regret a thing. I've spent 5 years buying wrecked SV650's and tuning the hell out of em and even going so far as doing Monster seat and tail conversions to try and build what I called "The Poor Mans Monster", and boy do I feel like a fool for for thinking it was possible to even come close lol.

I've been repairing/restoring primarily BMW Airheads for about 8 years, but have worked on and restored a myriad of different bikes, so one of my main purposes of joining the group is to poke around the tech areas and pick brains whenever necessary to try and build my Duc knowledge and know-how.

I think that just about sums it up for me at this point, but if you have any questions just ask!

I really appreciate the opportunity to get to know you guys and learn as much as possible!

-John
HiJohn, welcome.
After working on air-cooled beemers, you’re going to have to learn a whole new bunch of skills (and buy a whole bunch of new tools) when you do your first valve clearance on a testastretta

·
Registered
72 Posts
HiJohn, welcome.
After working on air-cooled beemers, you’re going to have to learn a whole new bunch of skills (and buy a whole bunch of new tools) when you do your first valve clearance on a testastretta

I'm gonna have to fight you on that. All you need is a set of feeler gauges and standard workshop tools like hex keys and sockets. Take careful notes though

·
Registered
22 Posts
... and a shim measuring tool... and a cam pulley holding tool ...and belt tensioning software (assuming you’re doing the belts too). I had all these ready to hand when I was doing my push-rod Buell

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or a crankshaft turning tool and a large selection of opener and closer shims.

You could have added that neither a gallon off oil nor a replacement oil filter would be needed if the oil doesn’t need changing.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts