Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket air filters on their Monster? I'm trying to decide if I should get some K&N filters or stick with stock and get rid of the lid. What are the pros and cons, other than price obviously? I have an '03 M800 Dark, will the engine run too lean if I took off the lid?

Thanks!
-Jordan

O

·
0 Posts
yes your engine will run to lean.
if you run an open air box you should get a k&n, or another gauze type washable filter, if the stock paper filter gets wet it will be ruined.
i'm happy with my k&n, and open air box. it's carbed so i re-jetted.
with the open airbox the intake noise is kinda loud, wear ear plugs.
you will need to do something about fuel mixture. you should read other postings on the board about powercommander III.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Your stock filter will flow more air than a K&N, but the K&N is washable & reusable. I personally prefer individual pods with foam filters (like Uni). You will have to rejet for ANY change.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I have K&N on an open airbox and some unknown make of after market cans. Supposedly the carbs are rejetted. The plugs read rich around town, but perfect after highway miles. I had a trusted neighbor ride around the block a few times so I could hear the bike. At neighborhood speeds the airbox pulses are as loud as the exhaust - you can hear it coming as well as going. The exhaust and airbox tone is so similar it's amazing. Deep and resonant, loudish but not sharp or annoying. When I'm on it, the airbox is the dominant note I hear. I haven't yet but am going to start using earplugs on the next ride if I remember them. It's a sweet sound, but I want to be able to hear it for a lot more years.

Mark J

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rode around today for a couple hours with the airbox lid off. I taped down all the edges of the air filter with duct tape and hit the twisties. I have to say the bike definitely fealt different. I would have to get the bike tuned, but being that it's a fuel injected bikes there is no jetting to do. What would be the equivalent on my bike?

I liked the sound a lot, but I'm worried it's just a bit TOO loud. How do K&N or Uni pod filters compare to a stock open airbox in volume? I'm thinking about going that route rather than just a frame around the stock filter.

Thanks again,
-Jordan

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
The K&N Pods are definately loud.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I have a K&N filter(thanks again Strati) and an open air box and I love the way they perform and sound! I also have the PCIII and it makes a huge difference! I just changed the mapping too so it doesn't pop at all on deceleration.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I get the Techlusion Fuel Injection kit, just how hard is it to install and configure? I can do basic wrenching, but when it comes to tuning and engine I'm somewhat out of my league...

-Jordan

P.S. Don't forget I have an '03 M800.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Jordon:
If I were you I'd take your 800 to a place that has a dyno & fine tune it there. Sure, you can install it on your own. That part is cake. However, it's not the easiest thing to tweak on your own. @ least that is what I've been told & it makes sense to me. So, I had mine done by someone who deals with them everyday & my 750 runs great.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like the sound with an open airbox to begin with. It really makes the Monster sound like, well, a monster. I also like the low-end power gains I've gotten without the lid on the box so far. I definitely need to get the air/fuel mixture tweaked, as it's running too lean, but I like what I'm feeling so far. At the moment I'm leaning toward picking up one of the TPO Beast pod intake systems.

-Jordan

R

·
0 Posts
Jordan, I would hope that you are going to get the FIM ECU and put it on a dyno then.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For now I'm just going to have my mechanic adjust the air/fuel mixture on the bike. For something as simple as that I shouldn't need any after-market parts. When I get a new exhaust in a few months I'll probably think about the fuel injection modifications.

-Jordan

M

·
0 Posts
The '03 bikes have (somewhat) programmable ECUs. Your dealer should be able to adjust the mixture to accomodate the open airbox (and pipes). I think a PCIII or TFI and a dyno run would be better, but that should do ok.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After doing some reading here and on few other sites, I still don't understand why anything more than a simple adjustment would be necessary, we're just talking about the air/fuel mixture. That's something a mechanic, at times, would need to adjust during a standard tune-up. Even with a computer in their mucking things up, this would't be much different.

Maybe I'm missing something... ?

-Jordan

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Jordan:

From what I understand there is really no real tweaking that can be done throughout the rpm range. Yes, a good Ducati mechanic can une a Mathesis machine to "sniff" the exhaust & richen the fuel a touch @ idle. But, that is all. He can't adjust the mixture through the rpm range. So, you'll still be running lean if you don't use a TFI Box, Power Commander, or a FIM Chip. I guess it just comes down to how much coin you want to drop to make sure your bike won't run lean.

The TFI Box can adjust the mixture @ three differnet points. It does idle, cruising, & full throttle. With it your have everything covered. Out of pocket around $250.

The Power Commander does the entire RPM range and can be more fine tuned that the TFI. Out of pocket around $450 I think.
The FIM Chip is replaces the factory chip. It is very good I hear. I don't know enough about it to tell you exactly what it does. However, out of pocket is $700 + installation. So, I sure as heaven hope it works well.

I hope that helps you out a little bit. I don't know everything about this stuff. That is what I learned when I was debating what to do for my bike a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the responses, it's definitely given me a few things to think about. I have to say though, and I'm not trying to be stubborn here, but it still doesn't make sense to me that you would need an aftermarket box to adjust the air/fuel mixture. According to TPO's website and a Ducati mechanic here in S.F., it should be a basic adjustment. From my limited knowledge of engines that makes sense to me. We'll see what happens in the end, but logically I just don't understand why I would need extra equipment...

Thanks!
-Jordan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts