Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...new to this forum but been drooling over a monster for some time. So have cash and have been looking at whats out there and need some advice. A guy has an 02 monster 900 dark with 9800 miles and termi exhaust,although not carbon :(, aftermarket seat, chopped tail and some carbon fiber goodies. Nice looking bike but he claims it fellover in his garage and the tanks dented. I trust the guy and the damage on the tank and minor scuffs on the speedo assembly hold true to this. He's asking 4200(down from 4900 due to drop). Recent 1800$ service is key for me seeing as though valves/belts/clutch plate/brake pads and other stuff was done. All in all is clean but not immaculate....opinions??? Thanks guys... Figured its better than finding a 6k mile bike with no services done...

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
That could be a good buy. You should check kbb.com for an approximate value. Is seller the original owner? Might be a good idea to confirm the service with receipts and check at the dealer who performed it. 9800 miles is not a recommended service interval for valve adjust, but that could mean that owner was doing service at age and not miles. That may be an indication he was taking good care of it. For example, belts should be replaced at 2 years. Does he have the original parts (seat, exhaust, etc.)?

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
I think the recommended interval for valve check then was every 5K, so that would be about right. 10K in 8 years isn't much mileage, but it should be OK if it hasn't been let to set and rot for long periods.

I think the 02 was when they improved the frame from the 888-based unit to the ST2-based unit, which made it handle better.

Sounds like a decent buy to me.

PhilB

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. He does have the receipts. He called ducati to confirm that they checked the valves because they werent on the receipt and the ducati store said they had. They referred to some indicator light on the display that would light up if they hadnt?????? He has actually only had the bike for two months and is selling it due to lack of interest in the bike(ex-harley rider) so service and maintenance was done by previous owner. That being said...there is about 700$ bucks worth of carbon and the service was done around 9k so assuming(hoping) he maintained it. Thing looks mean and sounds mean so seriously considering it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and yes he has all the stock parts and is throwing in a pitbull stand. I m thinking its a good buy..esp if I come with 4k and he takes it..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts