Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been eyeing two bikes actually:

1) 2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000 w/ 15k miles.
Seller is asking for 4600.
Clean title.
Comes with all original parts/keys
Penske rear shock
Steal braided lines

I feel like the price is slightly high, but I'm completely new and still learning about these bikes. If anyone of your vets have any wisdom to drop, please do so here. I would greatly appreciate it. Just not really sure how to gauge these bikes and their value yet.

2) 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 1000 w/ 15k miles
Seller asking $4800
Motodynamic Integrated Tail
tidy tail
open clutch cover
dyed cam belt covers
Rizoma Mirrors
Stock exhaust with cans removed. <-- this is weird imo, but I'm not sure what it sounds like.
il changed every 3k miles, 12k service done (its been three years since last change of belts which he will include)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Without seeing either bike, my vote would be for the 07, due to the Penske rear shock. If the 06 does not have the red key then all the other stuff is moot in my book.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Something about a person running no pipes out of the cat is enough for a no sale.

Makes you wonder what else. No fork oil to make it lighter and go faster?

tt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input! Ya, I was leaning toward the 07. Is the price solid thou? $4600 a good deal? bad deal? or just neutral (not bad nor good, just what it's worth)

I have my checklist ready to inspect the bike from the info I got from these forums. I just need people's experience to know if I should wait for something better or this is a good enough deal to go through with it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I know pics can be a little deceptive, but the 2007 looks cleaner to me.

I also noticed that he's replaced the clutch slave unit (might be an Oberon?) which makes a nice addition.

Just my $.02......but then again, what do I know? :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
07 is missing the front chain guard.

Pickie huh?

Ducati's should be red. ;)

Notice in one picture the stripe is in the center of the tank but in others it's to the right? (red one) Is it just the picture?

tt

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I think it's just the angle of the photo.

We all know what needs to happen here................... show up with 40 Franklin's in your hand and four more in your pocket and make a deal on the red one.

I don't know what the market will bear in your area, but it's not an investment, it's a toy. You WILL loose money on it so decide if your OK with that and stop stressing.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I think it's just the angle of the photo.

We all know what needs to happen here................... show up with 40 Franklin's in your hand and four more in your pocket and make a deal on the red one.

I don't know what the market will bear in your area, but it's not an investment, it's a toy. You WILL loose money on it so decide if your OK with that and stop stressing.
Great point.

Plenty for sale so you have the option of looking around. Yeah, never get anything close to your investment.

I'm giving mine to my Great Nephew. He's five months old now. ;) 15 years to go. :D

tt

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Loose? Damn.....I was raised better than that!

Buy it if it's in the shape it appears and enjoy it. If you spend a bunch of time and fuel running around looking at other options to save a few hundred dollars is it really worth it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's true, I'm not trying to haggle over a couple hundred. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting ripped off or if I should wait for a better deal.

I really appreciate the info guys, especially about the front chain guard missing and that the clutch slave unit might be an upgrade. I will bring this up when I meet to check out the bike.

I like the 4k in hand, and 400 in pocket method lol. 4k and I wouldn't even think twice.

Is the mileage an issue? 15k sounds pretty good, as far as how old the bike is. I know there is a 12k maintenance I need to see if he had done and last time he had valves adjusted. Most searches for the s2r are around 15-19k so i figure it's average.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I don't think it's been mentioned, maybe I missed it, but inspect the fuel tank for swelling.

tt

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
What a joke Ride Now in Vegas is..

They will sell the bike for $3155.00 however-

$400 in doc fees. I'm in Arizona, just a piece of paper saying I'll register and pay tax.

Other associated BS fees. $1965.00 total in fees.

OTD $5120.00.

Idiots! Told him not paying fees otherwise I would be on my way.

tt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol. I saw the 7k post. Never checked back for the 3k.

Thanks for the heads up on tank swelling. I read a post here where someone posted pics of what a swollen tank looks like so I'm ready to inspect.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Tank swelling is a visual thing. Around the key guard, rubber bumpers that sit on frame. Run your hands along the tank and feel the contour. Look at the fuel cap, around the seat. Common sense thing.

It took me several minutes just to talk to a human. Switchboard bimbos. Then, the sales manager answers and on a speaker phone. Arrogant little azz hole.

I will not pay $1965 in just bullshid fees. He actually lost a sale versus working with me. $480 drive off fee? I pay YOU to ride away? Kiss my azz clown face.

tt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw, I'm sticking to the s2r (05-07) only. I have something specific in mind and need those specific years. Don't see too many now, prob cause it's riding season. Hoping i'll see a nice one in the So. Cal area soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts