Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cops up at Mt Glorious this moring doing "license checks" gave me a warning for not having a rear reflector on the bike.

Now I know that there was originally one that hung off the bottom of the number plate board but that got lost along the way somewhere. Given that the tailight lens has a reflector in it I would have thought that sufficient for a rear reflector. not so according to the prick in blue.

Does anyone know what the ADR ruling is on this?

Cheers
Palooka

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I'd also be interested to know and also whether anybody has an alternative to the standard part.

Part way throug my first decent trip out on the bike it was pointed out to me that the reflector had been bent 180 deg. and was now facing forward. Knowing I hadn't backed into anything I thought the rear must have thrown something up which bent the reflector. However as I was with a bunch of Ducati people at the time they suggested it may have been the tyre itself which didn't make much sense to me.

Since then I have noticed a number of parked Monsters with the same bent reflector - unattractive and surely no more legal. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I went through the same thing with another bike so when I got the Monster the first thing I did was make a numberplate bracket that incorporates the original reflector. If it looks standard and has all the right components then your less likely to run into problems. I mounted the number plate under the reflector on my bracket so it looks (I think) standard but neat.
It's really easy to do. Mines' made from 3mm aluminium that I cut with a hacksaw and filed the edges then bent the top in the vice with a rubber mallet.
If anyone's intrested I can scan the template I made and e-mail it to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you find out what the ADR ruling is on this before you went to the trouble of making your (pretty cool) bracket?

I want to know what the law requires me to do, not what some copper thinks I should do.

Cheers
Palooka

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I was told by a mechanic doing a roadworthy on another bike (prolly not very reliable source either) that the vechicle needs to have a rearward facing reflector.

The car has them inbuilt into the tail light assembly but my bike only has a light defuser.

My mate and I were talking to the camera guy at the police blockade on the hill this morning and was told that the cops are running around in unmarked cars with cameras targeting bikes illegally passing cars.
I've been behind one of these vehicles and it was travelling under the speed limit and was very frustrating.
Just another thing to look out for on the roads cause obviously there isn't already enough!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This is interesting, As when I got my new bike a year ago there was no rear reflector fitted.

Anyone else found this???

Rob

·
Registered
972 Posts
Why dont you have a look on your respective road authority website ie; RTA in NSW and see if that might reveal anything.

Mmick

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
DUCMONROB said:
This is interesting, As when I got my new bike a year ago there was no rear reflector fitted.

Rob
When I picked my bike up from the dealer after having the Termi's fitted, they had removed the baffles and not supplied the bolts to fit them. The bike was tested and found to be about twice the legal noise limit. I had assumed that they would give you the bike in legal guise and let the owner go from there or at least warn the owner that they had modified the bike so it is no longer legal.

Point is, dealers can muck with the bike and if you don't check, your responsible if you get pulled over.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
DUCMONROB said:

Rob
After looking at Rowdy's solution I went out to the garage to see what was possible. The Boss' bike (an '02) also has no reflector - as bought. It had not even been prepared/setup to take one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Palooka we now have to unfortunately fail RWC with no rear reflector the one in your light is not sufficent if the bike came out with a seperate one on the australian market. So sorry. the boys in blue dont have real big knowledge on this but if a Dep. of transport vehicle pull u up $135 and one point the know everything about defect and can pick the smallest thing a mile away. I no fan of this by any means. but i think there view is keeping the death tolls down . Wonder if its working. if u have any further RWC questions contact me asap and i can also give you access to certain RWC litritue and guidlines.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I picked up this reflector in the trailer bits section of a boating supply shop (Whitworths in Mona Vale, specifically) - I'm pretty sure any boat or auto spares place will have it or something similar in the trailer section. It sticks on with double sided tape which is still working fine after two years now, and at ~$4 for a packet of two I don't really care if the tape fails...

big

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
tattooed-punk-kid said:
...if a Dep. of transport vehicle pull u up $135 and one point the know everything about defect and can pick the smallest thing a mile away...

this is $318 an 3 demerit points difference spotted by a cop on the bike...........ouch :'(

Attachments

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
tattooed-punk-kid said:
Palooka we now have to unfortunately fail RWC with no rear reflector the one in your light is not sufficent if the bike came out with a seperate one on the australian market. So sorry. the boys in blue dont have real big knowledge on this but if a Dep. of transport vehicle pull u up $135 and one point the know everything about defect and can pick the smallest thing a mile away. I no fan of this by any means. but i think there view is keeping the death tolls down . Wonder if its working. if u have any further RWC questions contact me asap and i can also give you access to certain RWC litritue and guidlines.

sorry tim, but that sounds like crap to me. my S4R has no rear reflector, never has. you would only fail a RWC if there was one fitted and you remove it.
I have been pulled over on glorious and noise tested, breath tested, license checked and had my bike looked over, aside from the cheeky bastard asking if i could touch the ground i left with no tickets. as my bike has well used arrows that are LOUD!! and usually some well scrubbed tyres, i have been lucky, but, watching my P's and Q's certainly helps. further, coppers usually don't have the required intelligence to tie their shoes, let alone understand the laws they are empowered to discharge, this is part of the reason i view them with complete contempt. (but i still have to play the game! [cheeky])
the other reason i hate the bastards is because they persist in their games and bullshit entrapment, i, along with a lot of others have been nailed with the slow car - unbroken lines - drive under the speed limit - arsehole with a video camera crap!!! 3 points and $180 thanks very much.

paul.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine came with one hanging off the rego plate holder.
It actually was angled so it faced the road, not rearward. ???
Looked like crap so it went off quick.

In the end who knows in this BS world of revenue raising for the sake of it.
Hence why I rarely ride Glorious, except very early or weekdays.
Better roads elsewhere.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
do not believe that riding glorious on weekdays precludes you from their games and blanket inspections!!!!!
i have seen them on weekdays in unmarked cars and set up in their usual spot asking the same ??? they ask on the weekends!
take it easy up there guys and girls [thumbsup]

paul.

D

·
0 Posts
I bought this little reflector on US ebay a while ago and during an inspection by :police: I got let off. He thought it was cool [thumbsup] But he did have a personailty :-X Never had any troubles with the Monster but am having troubles with the fender eliminator on the Zed 1000. Only ride Glorious before 7am on the weekends >:D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmmm.............and it's a wonder the US DML locked the cop thread. Wanker remarks about lack of intelligence is ****ing insulting - Grow up.

Oh, i'm sorry...Did i insult your outstandingly high IQ??

·
Registered
285 Posts
White Lion said:
Hmmm.............and it's a wonder the US DML locked the cop thread. Wanker remarks about lack of intelligence is f**k**g insulting - Grow up.

OOOppppppssss someones in trouble :-\ ;) not good, they don't think before they type whitelion [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
White Lion said:
Hmmm.............and it's a wonder the US DML locked the cop thread. Wanker remarks about lack of intelligence is f**k**g insulting - Grow up.

If the ignorant/arrogant individuals (Not all are, but the majority) who are "in the job" TMU, TOG units cant handle the critis, critic, aaah bugger :mad: The flack in regards to the way they do their "politically oriented" , "being seen to be doing something about the road toll" job, they should get out of the business??? :police:

A reflector or the lack of being of a life threatening consequence????

puhleeeeze :eek: ::)

And talk to any long term motorcyclist about the value of a loud exhaust in traffic!!! [thumbsup]

If there was more policing of the dickheads in cars not using their signals, not giving way, failing to keep left, tailgating etc, etc the road WOULD be a far safer place to be. But then that needs more police doing stuff that probably WONT raise shitloads of money for theirs and the Government coffers. Wont happen while bean counters run things, profit for financial outlay will support camera usage every time. And chickenshit petty "Road Safety Initiatives" such as the Mount Glorious thing and their equivalents throughout Oz.:mad:

Puff, Pant. I'll climb down off my soapbox now. There, I feel much better after that vent!! [thumbsup] [clap]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts