Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a simple task, but before I do so I wanted to ask specficically how it should be done and how muxh slack is recommended. I have installed a 44 tooth rear sprocket and new chain but am unsure of the tension recommendations. There are notches on each side of the swingarm (not sure where they are now) that I know i can use as a guideline.

R.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I know this is a simple task, but before I do so I wanted to ask specficically how it should be done and how muxh slack is recommended. I have installed a 44 tooth rear sprocket and new chain but am unsure of the tension recommendations.
From the '00 owners manual (the only one I've got a pdf of to hand) - the new rear sprocket won't change the slack amount:
With the motorcycle on the side stand, push the chain up
pressing with a finger at the point where it intersects
with swing arm centerline. The lower portion of the chain
should have a slack as follows:
20-25 mm/0.79-0.99 in. (600/750);
25-30 mm/0.99-1.18 in. (900).
To adjust chain tension, slacken the nut (1, fig. 33.2) of
the wheel spindle. Then tighten similarly the screw (2)
clockwise on both sides of the swing arm to increase or
reduce chain tension. If you are slackening the chain, you
will have to push the wheel forward.

(the "nut 1" is the axel nut, and "screw 2" are the bolt heads on the ends of the swing arm arms)

There are notches on each side of the swingarm (not sure where they are now) that I know i can use as a guideline.
Yeah, but don't trust them, they often lie...

Google for "wheel alignment stringline" for a bunch of pages that'll tell you how to make sure its right before you start trusting the swingarm marks.

big

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
A tape measure works perfectly well to get both sides even, and it's better than the string method, at least for me. I don't trust the marks on the adjuster, at least on Ducati swingarms.

The best way to make sure the tire is straight is to use a good straight edge, like a carpenter's level or a flourescent light tube, hold it against the back tire and measure distance to the front tire on each side. In fact, you can get by just eyeballing it sometimes with that method.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
A tape measure works perfectly well to get both sides even, and it's better than the string method, at least for me.
Yeah - stringline, straightedge, and measuring axle to swingarm distances all work, choose whichever suits you best, but dont rely on the swingarm markings ;-)

(to tell the truth though, I only check the alignment when the wheel has actually been removed, usually I just keep in mind my discovery that "my left hand swingarm markings are about a quarter mark back from the right hand ones" and use that to sanity check the "count the same number of flats on each adjuster bolt" method of keeping everything straight when I'm just tightening the chain)

big

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The high tension mark...Is this the area where the kink is?
Where do you leave it once you find it? On te sporcket, in the center on the upper side of the chain?

R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts