Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the stock spring rate of the adjustable Showas (SR1K)? I just ordered a set and was thinking of doing at least a respring (and maybe a revalve) before I put them on my S2R, but before I do, I was wondering what the stock set up was. If anyone knows and can pass that info along, it would be much appreciated. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks. They seem to have a linking problem on their site and I can't reach the spring rate section. Think I'm just gonna have them reworked anyway.

Anyone track their S2R 1k and just love the front end in stock form?

I need to decide whether I just want to bolt the Showas up or have them rebuilt beforehand. Don't want to pay twice for the fork swap.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Don't throw any money at a problem until you know it exists. Put the adjustable Showas on and set the sag to the proper range. If you can't get both the static sag (weigth of bike w/o rider) and the loaded sag (rider with gear in riding position) within the desired ranges using the preload adjusters, then look to repsring. Don't ignore the static sag just to dial in loaded sag. I have used too much preload to get a good loaded sag only to discover that the static sag was almost nil and the suspension would top out too quickly when the bike got light over bumps or hill crests - not good.

There are two schools of thought on fork springs - some folks love progressive rate springs (most OEM springs) and some only run straight rate. There are pros and cons to each. Personally, after playing with about 3-4 spring combos, I have been happiest with a set of straight rate Ohlins springs in the adjustable Showas I have run on the Monster and on the SS track bike. I like the Ohlins better than RT because they are almost identical in dimensions to the OEM springs in length and diameter. (i'm funnny about little details, sometimes)

Unless you are running at or near Expert level race pace, Showa internals are good to go once you have the right springs/sag and maybe play with fork oil weight a little. One of the other staff members I ride with for STT picked up a Monster last season with no mods to anything and stock non-adjustable Showas, and on a very tight course (Talledega GP) was cutting laps faster on it than on his 99X SBK. But, he is close to the "average" weight that Ducatis are spring for from the factory. The only reason I've had to fool with my suspension at all isn't because I've found its limits through my skill, but because I'm a little heavy at 210-220 without gear and needed to get back into the proper sag range.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of doing a straight rate spring and I was also assuming that a revalve would help, but not married to it. It helped alot on the the Showas on my old 99CBRF4 I'm average to light weight (165lbs without gear on), so maybe the stock springs are okay for now.

And I totally agree getting the sag right is the key, both static and dynamic. Always a fun time setting the sag.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The stock S4 springs are about .85 kg/mm, straight rate.
I'm about 170 geared up, and I like the springs.

IMO, if your M1k fork has progressive springs, replace with straight rate.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speeddog said:
The stock S4 springs are about .85 kg/mm, straight rate.
I'm about 170 geared up, and I like the springs.

IMO, if your M1k fork has progressive springs, replace with straight rate.
I agree. My understanding is that most of the new bikes out there have straight rate springs now and I'm assuming these Showas do as well. I'm gonna try em out and see how they feel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts