Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done this?? what do I need to get (does anyone make kits?) ? How much is this going to cost me?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Simple!

1 rotor
New master cyl for a dual brake setup
New brake line.

As a guess Id put the cost at about $300 tops for used parts.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Simple to do. Necessary, not at all. Steel braided brake lines, a Ferodo Axis rotor and the right pads will get you more stopping power than you can use and doesn't add any rotating or unsprung mass. 8)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Very easy mod for a M750. Have look on ebay for the bits and it won't cost much at all.

One suggestion, get the OE Ducati Rotor Mounting Bolts, and the 2 Brake Caliper Bolts from any Duc Dealer.
Hardware store cheap-o's can break, and that can be bad, very bad. [thumbsup]

Here are some bits to get you started:

Rotors: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUCA...tegoryZ35603QQihZ013QQitemZ230063504485QQrdZ1

S/S Brakeline: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...290059356598QQihZ019QQitemZ290059356598QQrdZ1

or: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000...200058095791QQihZ010QQitemZ200058095791QQrdZ1

I didn't see a Caliper, but you will need one from an early Ducati with w/ 40mm spacing for the mounting holes(later bikes are like 65mm) [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
jswledhed said:
Simple to do. Necessary, not at all. Steel braided brake lines, a Ferodo Axis rotor and the right pads will get you more stopping power than you can use and doesn't add any rotating or unsprung mass. 8)
+1

A better single iron rotor and pads will make a huge difference in braking, and won't hurt your turn in or acceleration.
A double rotor is only necessary if you are over heating that single rotor... and even then.. A full floating iron rotor will take more heat before fading.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help! Why did Ducati switch to a two rotor set up for 2001??

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I didn't see a Caliper, but you will need one from an early Ducati with w/ 40mm spacing for the mounting holes(later bikes are like 65mm)
A 2000 M750 should have 65mm calipers not 40mm.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
mr. monduc said:
A 2000 M750 should have 65mm calipers not 40mm.
If that's the case, even better. There are more 65mm calipers out there than the 40mm. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Wouldn't you need a new front wheel too?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
howley said:
Wouldn't you need a new front wheel too?
The wheels are already drilled for the other rotor.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
This is a mod that I have been considering for a long time. Lately I decided not doing it. I am used to the brakes of my bike, that is the main reason. I know where and when to apply how much pressure to the brakes. When I ride other Monsters with dual rotors and apply the same pressure as with my own bike, the brakes bite so hard and quick that I almost lock the front each time. It appears you have to be much more sensitive with applied brake pressure with dual rotors. Plus I don't want to add on extra weight to the bike. It's not a difficult mod though, you may give it a try. If you do, please share your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I'm another advocate of the single sided brake setup, with an iron rotor, high-comp pads and a stainless line. If you want to get really crazy get a new master cylinder. You'll get way more power than you need, and you'll save rotating mass.

Mostly in my book it's about how the single sided disc looks. It's just a whole lot cleaner than two discs. So if you can stop better than you need, save rotating mass, and look cooler doing it, what's the obvious decision?

I'll leave that up to you. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts