Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
What's involved in adding second brake disk on M750? Parts availability? What would I be looking at cost wise? Bike I'm considering is a 98 M750. Bone stock accept for seat(corbin) and windscreen. Original tires! 8000 miles. Asking $4700. Figure it will need tires for sure. Definitely an exhaust! Have not gone to look at this bike in person. If one could get this bike for say, $4200 would it be a good deal?

Mark
Central Texas

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
the dilemma here is why spend good money to upgrade to the pedestrian OEM style brembo parts? i normally suggest to people to only buy brembo rotors if they can buy used. and there should be plenty of calipers around used, though "anyone" can sell new brembo parts (me, martin, fred, etc).

if it were MY money, i'd buy the brake tech rotors (plural) and used caliper and master cylinder. the calipers are the same on the monsters as any SS or superbike from the same period. they either have the 40mm mount (and one single pin to hold in the brake pads) or they have the 65mm mount and the two pins which hold in the pads. the newer two pin calipers started to be used in 1998, though ducati is somewhat inconsistent, so the 1998 model year is a "crossover" year for brake calipers.

for the master cylinder, you can buy used remote reservoirs off of 900ss, m900, m900s, or superbike. be careful buying from ST family as some of these get the same crappy "coffin" master clyinder.

also, master cylidners are available new from the same players mentioned above. there's nissin, brembo, and spiegler. i typically suggest the nissin when buying new as it is inexpensive and effective.

:) chris

M

·
0 Posts
Or you might consider buying a M900 with dual discs so you don't have to spend any money on the upgrade...
The earlier 900 Monsters have large valves and are going for about the same price as what you are currently looking at. I've got a low mileage 94 M900 that I just sold for $5000 (I think it's sold). It has a bunch of trick parts on it (exhaust,billet,CF,seat,stainless lines).

M

·
0 Posts
More labor intensive than anything else.

I would caution on used hydraulics...if you can, go new or be prepared to rebuild....you never know if the previous owner may have unwittingly used Silicone DOT 5 brake fluid or something else funky that will screw up the seals in the caliper or master.

Used rotors in decent shape are on eBay are pretty frequently. Just search "Ducati Brembo"

You'll probably need to upgrade the master to a larger displacement to work the addition fluid volume of a second caliper so here's an estimate:

-used rotor- 50-100 bucks......new rotor 150(pizza)-200(snowflake) bucks

-new Master- 120-150 bucks

-new caliper- 170 buck and up

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just finished my dual disk conversion about a month ago. I used Yoyodyne for the parts. new caliper was 190.00 new master cyl. was 89.00(coffin style), disk was used for 70.00, lines cost 50.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts