Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooled down a little so I decided to go try out ACH this morning.

Fueled up at the Shell station and took off. It was good until maybe the first 10-15 minutes going up. Beyond that it got bumpy and the road construction vehicles had left gallons of tar splattered all over the place. Funny, I don't recall the bumpiness when I last came here. Went past Newcomb's hoping the conditions would improve, but no, gravel and rocks started to show up and the street surface began to pick up that brown tint of sand. About 10 miles past Newcomb's I saw streaks of water crossing the street and snow. At that point I decided to turn back and head down.

I've never gone all the way to the end of ACH. So the question is which section offers the best riding on ACH?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Is this typical? Do they spew road gorp on ACH just to make it entertaining? :eek: Will I need to consult Crestgal for a road weathermap prior to making the trek north?

Seriously, do conditions change that much on the crest?

Thanks in advance,
Rideon

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
This is interesting! I know they are doing some kind of road repair work during the week, but so far it hasn't had any affect on evening and weekend riding! Water and Snow? It hasn't snowed or rained on the Crest in weeks. I just rode Monday night and the road was perfectly dry and definitely no snow. Conditions don't change that drastically. When you go north of Newcombs, the road is great fun, but you have to watch for rocks and stuff because they have not opened it up to Wrightwood yet and don't clean it as well. Also, if there is any snow left on the ground it will be past Newcomb's because that is the north facing slope of the Hill and with the temps being high this week, that would cause some water run off.

There is a bumpy section (chatter bumps) between the Palmdale turn off and Mt. Wilson that our Monsters don't care for very much, but it's not too bad. I ride at a slow pace thru this area. It's been like that for years. Nick said it's a piece of cake after revalving his front forks with the Race Tech Gold valves and quite inexpensive too. Mine are being done next week!! (Along with my new mack daddy Ohlins Rear shock!).

Mas: was it tar or the asphalt they are using to mend the road? They haven't been tar stripping up there at all but they are repairing the road between Switzers and Mt. Wilson with new asphalt. Since you went up during the time they are working, it was most likely just done and would be a bit sticky and slippery. I'll check with the boys that ride up there everyday and see if Caltrans is doing something funky.

You always need to watch for rocks on any mountain road in SoCal....

Scott: no worries about your ride up ACH, you should always take it easy your first couple of times and get to know the road, plus you will be riding with veterans. Also, we ride up the front to Newcombs and then we can come back down and around the back way which is also a great ride over some high speed roads!

TOM, NICK, KEVIN, RYAN AND DAVID!! Need you to reassure Scott that ACH is a blast to ride since you guys have ridden it more than a couple of times!!

Also Scott, I will take a run up the Hill the evening before you come up to ensure that the road is ok! I ride the Hill at least 2 to 3 times during the week, that is if my tires are ok! Rode this weekend and Monday evening on a rather bald, heat soaked front tire and the boys grounded me (not to mention the mini slapper/wobble while leaned over in a nice left hander)! :mad: Have some 208 GPA take offs being mounted Thursday evening, learning how they handle on Friday and dawn run up the hill on Sat!!

So no worries, will run a check anytime needed! You never have to twist my arm to ride the Crest!

Linda

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Linda what ya gonna do with your stock shock when ya do the swap?

P

·
0 Posts
My man John keeping an eye out for things. We need to do a San Diego run of ACH. Can we trailer bikes up then ride? What does the local contingent think?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
ACH is a must do. To meet with the dawn patrol, I left at 3:30 in the AM :eek:, and that would have put me about 1/2 hour early for the dawn patrol had I not gotten lost :-/. The monster got trucked up there. I am thinking the optimal way to do it would be to stay over night, but I am not adverse to becoming sleep deprived again to experience this (according to Tom and Linda) gormet tarmac.

Regards,
Rideon

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Rideon,
And don't forget to bring your Porsche Speedster, as well !
You'll have a ball !

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
ACH is a world class road, IMHO. Try AFH for something different, all the way out to Palmdale.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Conditions on the Crest are subject to all the natural stuff like rockslides and water, like virtually all of the good roads around SoCal, so IMHO it's no more a 'gamble' than any other road.

I've found it is a bit bumpy in the 'middle', and found it lots more fun after R/T GoldValves in my forks. The bumps are about the same as I've seen 'em since I started riding there.

CrestGal knows the latest stuff about ACH, so she's certainly the first person I'd ask about the road.

As I recall, as you get past Newcomb's, the road does indeed get a bit of that color.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I was on ACH a few weeks ago, HOURS after the dawn patroll. It was the 2nd time I've been on it and I forgot how awesome it is. The roads in Malibu are so much tighter than ACH. I feel MUCH more comfortable on ACH, now granted I was doing the speed limit but still!!

S

·
0 Posts
I find the best part of ACH is not really ACH but Upper Big Tujunga Road from just past Hidden Springs off of Angeles Forest Highway to where it meets ACH. This road has no cops, very little traffic compared to ACH, and has mainly sweepers where you can really fly. Can easily hit triple digits. It is about 10 miles or so from where it leaves AFH to where it meets ACH. Way to get there: go up ACH until Clear Creek Ranger Station. Take AFH turn off (left) and take AFH to just past Hidden Springs Cafe (8 miles or so). Just past Hidden Springs, make a right on Upper Big T (watch out, usually sand on this turn) and then take off for 10 quick miles. Meets up with ACH, turn left to continue on to Newcombs, turn right to head back down hill. They don't plow much past Newcombs, so the road is not in good condition at this time. In the summer it is fine, at traffic cleans off most of the debris.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I find the best part of ACH is not really ACH but Upper Big Tujunga Road
I agree. I was up there today and road part of it from what I think is AFH to ACH thru Hidden Springs. Road was clean for the most part and empty (which you might expect on a Wednesday)

Also really liked parts of AFH. Also in good shape.

Having come all the way from Lake Arrowhead on the 138, I can say there are parts of that road and the N4 (not sure the name, it goes from the 138 in the East thru Wrightwood, Big Pines and on, my map is kind of old) which are also awesome.

It just doesn't suck to ride a motorcycle in Southern California.

·
Registered
849 Posts
TOM, NICK, KEVIN, RYAN AND DAVID!! Need you to reassure Scott that ACH is a blast to ride since you guys have ridden it more than a couple of times!!
The Viking to the rescue!!

Scott, be reassured that ACH can be a blast to ride. Especially with Crestgal as your scout. I'd do it all the time if I didn't have Malibu right in front of my doorstep.

-R.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
My man John keeping an eye out for things. We need to do a San Diego run of ACH. Can we trailer bikes up then ride? What does the local contingent think?
Us thinks yea. Have you been to the Rock Store? I have done the Angeles Crest and Rock Store run a few times. There are some great routes there as well. Makes a long day though.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Linda what ya gonna do with your stock shock when ya do the swap?
Well it's a borrowed one from a ST4 and not mine to keep, just borrowed it from Quentin! Will try to find out if he has the original shock if you want it?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I'd trailer the bikes so you can do a full ride of the Crest and not get burned out! You could easily do 150+ miles! When you guys come up we could do a Saturday or Sunday ride with BBQ at my house after! LA/SD contingents get together! ;D ;D ;D I'm conveniently located close to the bottom of ACH & Lower Big T.

Woooooo Hooooo sounds like ton's o' fun!

·
Registered
463 Posts
By the way, I saw a Senna Monster coming up the hill when I was almost exiting ACH. I don't think it was Bruce though.
Nope, wasn't me. I only exited that way, I came from Lake Arrowhead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts