Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a dummy.

Wet day yesterday in downtown Seattle, coming up to a stop, I got a bit too heavy on the front brake. Just as I crossed a bit of oil. Front tire washed out, and the bike slid top first underneath a pickup. Amazing, though... riding along, then BAM, I'm sliding along the ground, watching my bike and wondering what happened.

I got off easy (completely fine, was back on my feet immediately), but the bike didn't do as well. I bent my laptop, too (actually rather amusing).

The tank slid on the ground for a bit, and the handlebars bent into a U, putting dents in both sides of the tank. The clutch cover was crushed, in the process snapping of one of the clutch return springs. Need new mirrors and front blinkers.

Sigh.

Well, I guess I can justify buying clipons now. And I needed a new clutch anyway.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay and that you're able to maintain a sense of humor. What the hell, this will give you justification to go mod crazy!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am surpised you have been able to ride with the weather so bad here in the NW lately. Good to hear your ok.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Sorry to hear that... glad you're OK though..

Just earlier today I helped out a girl put her Yammy R6 on a truckbed.. she had damaged the front wheel hitting a curb under braking on the wet road...

you 'bent' your laptop? must be a PowerBook.. or some aluminium/titanium job...huh?

G

·
Just because you got a $hit Sandwich for Lunch, doesn't mean dinner will suck. Enjoy the mods, glad your OK. I love when insurance money pays for mods.

G

·
Sorry to hear about your spill.. I was in Seattle yesterday too... the combo of wet roads, leftover sand from last week's snow, and surface oil certainly make those surface streets trecherous.

Hope you enjoy the mods!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the laptop is a Powerbook. I just bent it back. The case is buckled a bit, but not badly.
I've got new clipons now - ended up getting the Ducati Sport. The others they had were a bit too low for my taste.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Winter in Seattle is tricky. I tryed to head out for a quick spin today, but my whole subdivision had been turned into a gravel pit! Very slippery..

One of the mods I'm doing this winter is to add some frame sliders so that if (probably when ;)) she goes down I can hopefully minimize the damage.

Good luck on the mods and keep us posted!

-dj

·
Registered
472 Posts
Glad to hear you're alright,

2 kinds of motorcycle riders.

There are those that have fallen and those that will fall.

Welcome to the other side. ;)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
By the way, send Norm some mail. He can fix the dents in your tank.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Good to hear you are ok!!! Sorry about the bike, but thats just the excuse to add new mods!! :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bummer man. Glad you are okay. Sounds like your outlook is good. You even have a sense of humor about your dented notebook. If not your dented tank. :-[
Monsters ain't too cool on wet roads, dem sport tires just don't like water. And oil too? Fergetaboutit!
~Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts