Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy.

Here are a couple of questions I haven't been able to suss out:

--How "sticky" are the stock Michelin Pilots (04 M1000)? A guy low sided here (Yammie) the other day on a damp road and the consensus was that the OEM tires were on there for longevity, not for stickiness/grip. Every time I get in a wet/damp road now, I wonder.... I know everyone likes Pirelli Diablos, but how are the Michelins?

--Anyone know where I can get rubber/plastic inserts for the stock mirror holes? I took mine off and added bar-ends. Or, what size bolt would that take?

--Anyone know of some medium grips? Everything out there seems to be super small (like the OEM size) or gigantic (like harley stuff or Gran Tourismo). I'd sure like to find something in between...or massively gel padded. How are those gel grips I see on ebay all the time?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2463163651

--How's the factory suspension setting on the front and rear for most folks? I have no sportbike to reference, but it seems a bit harsh to my, er, butt. It's fine of fast roads, but if it gets bumpy at all, esp. a bump in a turn, it's jarring...not confidence inspiring...I'm 6'2" and 180lb. Anyone tweaked front/rear? Compression or rebound or both?

Thanks,

Newbie Tom

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Tom~

Michael Moore just did his suspension and he wrote a thread on it. Scroll down in this forum to read it. Also, check the Mods section and search the topics for Shocks. Lot of good info. Welcome... You'll love it here :)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Ahoy.

--Anyone know where I can get rubber/plastic inserts for the stock mirror holes?

H

·
0 Posts
I'm 6'0, 170, and the stock settings were pretty close. I did add some pre-load and 2 clicks of compression damping in the shock, but left the fork alone. I assume yours is very similar to mine, and you being heavier, you may also need to add pre-load. Best to get some miles on it first, and keep a log of thew changes and outcome, so you know where you're at.

As for the Pilots, they have excellent dry grip. I run slightly less pressure, helps to get them warm. About 29-30 front and rear. You will sacrifice wear for grip, though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you can find plugs for the mirror holes @ spareshack.com

enjoy the new wheels!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
For the mirror holes... Just pull the threaded peice off and flip it over so the hole is facing down. Nice and clean.

·
Registered
221 Posts
as for the michelin pilots...those are z-rated sport tires that are very capable. i would venture to guess that the vast majority of people who have accidents like the one you describe, are to blame rather than the equipment. i find that almost always "pilot error" is much more common than we like to admit. spend money on a nice dinner rather than new rubber.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The 'flip the clamp' routine only works for coffin style M/C's, Goldlines have the clamps on the top............

D

·
0 Posts
I have the michelin pilots and they feel great, but I am looking at replacing them after only 1500 miles. I got 4000 out of my first set of dunlop 208's, but I guess my riding style may have changed a bit now.

I am still in search of the perfect set of grips, still have mirror holes, and don't know sh-ugar about suspension setup.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Are we talking Pilot Sports or Pilot Roads?

Just put a Pilot Sport on the back of my S4, only 600 miles on it so far. Feels good, but haven't used it hard yet...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
FBF reccommended pilot roads to me, and some one said the pilot sport is stickier, but you aren't gonna get as much wear out of them, I guess it depends all on your riding style as too the best tire for your bike.

H

·
0 Posts
I read yesterday, that Pilot Sport will be replaced by a model called, Pilot Power. The compound is even softer, with with fewer, newly placed rain groves. Supposed to last about as long, with better wet traction, as well.

Do I sound like a tire salesman?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the mirror hole plugs are 10 mm RH and LH thread. ducati
sells some really funky looking plugs. you can get
plain looking aluminum inserts from rizoma for about
$6.00 each.

as for the pilots, blaming the tyre when the road
is wet isn't really fair ... too many factors in play
beyond the inherent performance of the tyre. i have pilot sports on 3 different bikes and can highly recommend them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts