Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Whenever I tell someone (non-riders) that I have a bike, they HAVE to tell me about the last big bike wreck they have seen or read about. How in the HE!! do they think this helps anything. Can't they keep their mouth shut??? When someone gets a car do you tell them about all the car wrecks you've seen?? :mad: thanks for letting me vent

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
yeah, you are right. It never fails. Maybe next time you are eating with that person tell them about someone that chocked to death while eating. Tell them they better not eat or it may happen to them too!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I get that ALL the time too. Really annoying. I just tell them that i've been in 4 car wrecks and 1 bike wreck and in ALL off the car wrecks I was injured more severly than on my bike. Yeah riding a bike is dangerous..... I get it. I just try to minimize the risk and ride responsibly and intelligently. If its your time to go and a kamakaze cage takes you out then so be it. Also with the very LOW percentage of mechanically inclined people in the world it doesnt surprise me that all these accidents happen. Some people just dont have the right kind of mindset to properly ride a bike in traffic or otherwise. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
that's so true... I usually say something smarta$$ back.. something like: "if there were no cars on the road, there would hardly be any motorcyclists injured.. so you should keep your eyes open"

or: "if drivers got off their cell phones, stopped shaving and didn't put on makeup (hopefully not the same person doing the last two things together...) while holding a scolding hot cup of Starbuck's in the other hand it probably wouldn't have happened..."

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
There's two little wittys I like to give them:

1. CARS ARE STABLE UNTIL THEY START & BIKES ARE STABLE UNTIL THEY STOP.

2. CARS ARE DANGEROUS - PEOPLE DIE IN THEM ALL THE TIME. YOU NEVER DIE ON A BIKE (BUT YOU MAY DIE NEAR IT!) (There is one exception to this - a rider in Sydney, Australia was racing a car and bumped the car and struck his head on a sign which decapitated him. He continued on the bike for a couple of hundred metres before crashing to a stop. - True story)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
LOL.
yeah i get that all the time. What kind of ride wants to hear about another rider crash. I think it's disrespecfull. I tell them the story about a guy who taked to much and choked on his tongue. Usualy they shut up after.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GAAAWWD I Hate that! :mad:

I work with a bunch of anal retentive and overly conservative types with drawstring Azzholes.

These guys are always whining about "I dented this,and that got dented" as it concerns their SUV's and 4 door Pickups.

They also point out often that the few of us that ride are "Donors in waiting".

My standard reply?

"Get a life so you can donate to society!"

My Mom rags on me for riding.
I remind her that she was the one screaming "Get up and get back on the bike" not so long ago at the MX track.

My wife sometimes nags.....
"Do you know sparks were coming off your footpegs?"

I reply,"no I was concentrating on gaining another 100ft on you through that corner."

It's all relative.
Those that do not understand neither deserve to,nor deserve our time in explanation.

Death comes slowly.
It starts with the concern over living robbing true life.
The Timid die a pathetic and safe death amidst wonders of "Why,he was so safe?".

Yes I have the sticker on the back of the Lisc. and the insurance is paid up.
I ain't stupid! Just a realist.

Wear the gear,pick your spots to get squidly,err on the side of being conservative on the bike.
Mortality is the only constant we ride with.

Just don't let the 4 wheeled saps know how safe you are....
they can't handle it.

Keep safe!
S-28

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My next door neighbor is a cop, so I hear it all the time. "bikes are so dangerous","Did you hear about...". Please, spare me.
I think the percentages are stacked in our favor. I see a car wreck every day. I can't remember the last time I saw a bike wreck. I guess you only hear about the bad ones.
How about the car wrecks that claim 4 teenagers in on shot?
Are people gonna stop letting their kids go to the mall together? I think 4 teenagers on bikes a less likely to die at the same time!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, anyone ever hear of a bike killing a bus load of nuns?

·
Registered
109 Posts
i was at the dmv yesterday getting my motorcycle license and the man asked me if i wanted to remain an organ donor. i replied "if all goes correctly, there won't be any organs left to donate". he stared at me funny for a few minutes and then said "was that a joke?"

·
Registered
100 Posts
This kind of attitude displayed by non-riders gets my blood going. I was also the recipient of a smart

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
How many of these people are smokers? Nothing bothers me more then a lecture on risk from a smoker. I'm not the one sticking a class A carcinogen in my mouth, lighting it on fire and inhailing the fumes, not that there is anything wrong with that....

In the end everyone takes risks, I think the bike is pretty low when you compare it to other activities, if for no other reason you have more control over the risk in how, and where you ride. That is my rant....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Every time somebody gives me a story I ask them if the rider was drinking, 9 times out of ten the answer is yes, so then I just look at them and say so your point is? They usually just go away or at least give it some thought.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've rationalized all the comments as just one of the "costs" of ownership. Face it, we all knew they were coming when we bought the bike in the first place. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts