Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I are still considering relocating to NC and I have another question to all of you here on the MROC forum, considering how you have all been really helpful in the past.

I was hoping that some of you out there could give me your feelings on these towns.

The areas we are looking at are:
Ashville
Cary
Chapel Hill
Charlotte
Fayetteville
Greensboro
Hickory

Which areas would you live in and why? Which areas have colleges near by, and good restaurants and bars? Which ones are growing, liberal, modern communities, with good school systems affordable housing and low crime rates?
And of course which ones are near good riding roads?

Any advice or feedback you can give me will be great and thanks in advance

jimi

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
wantingaduc said:
The areas we are looking at are:
Ashville
Cary
Chapel Hill
Charlotte
Fayetteville
Greensboro
Hickory
of the listed places. Cary, Chapel Hill, or Charlotte

They will have the best schools in the state (well charlotte has a few bad ones).
Cary/Chapel Hill are close to major universities ... which means restaurants, nite-life and events.
These cities are booming economically, near RTP (Cary/CH), liberal and safe. Housing can be a bit expensive there because you are paying for the above listed bonuses.

Asheville is an awesome town for motorcycles and any outdoor activity, but i am not so sure about the job market there. UNC-Asheville is there. I have no idea about the schools. Housing can be super expensive because of the mountain homes, but i've also seen normal communities there as well. Very liberal (think mountain hippies).

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I am near Greensboro, and Greensboro too has a decent night life, and activities located around the city. It has a few colleges, but none of the caliber of UNC, NC State, and Duke. There are plenty of decent school systems around, but probably not as great as the ones around the Triangle area, or the Charlotte area due to dollars based off population.

I love Greensboro as we are centrally located… 3 hours from the Beach, 1 hour from the Mnts, and with in 2 hours north of SC and 30 mins south of VA.

C

·
0 Posts
I'm with uro on this one! :p Greensboro is great, and centrally located fer the best of all worlds. It's not even that far from the great schools in the Triangle area. Of course, if yer look'n fer ******* central, move to my neck o' the woods... Kaaaaaang, NC. ;D

·
Registered
180 Posts
I live in Raleigh and love it. When I first moved to NC about a year and a half ago, I lived in Morrisville which is next to Cary. Nice and quiet, plus affordable but kind of boring at times. Raleigh has more culture/nightlife plus many of the neighborhoods are more established (not quick built track homes). The schools in area are highly rated and there are many major universities and smaller colleges. Chapel Hill is quite nice as well, but can feel to much like a college town at times. As for being a safe area, I've never felt like I shouldn't be somewhere. I know how that feels since I'm from Southern California and have gotten lost in East and South Central LA before.
I can't speak for the Greensboro/ Triad or Charlotte areas, but haven't heard anything bad.

284 Posts
I grew up near Greensboro, but still in Guilfoprd County. The downtown scene is getting better, the job market is ok, schools kinda so-so. If you want liberal, you want Asheville and Chapel Hill - but like someone already said, more hippies than jobs in A-ville. Chapel Hill is pretty central to everything - good schools, nice setting, jobs in RTP, just watch out for rich college kids. I currently live in Raleigh, next door to Cary, and have nothing but bad things to say about Cary. Sorry to any Cary-ites on the forum, but you have to REALLY want to tell the world how great you think you are to live in Cary. I would lean more towards CH, even though I go to NCSU...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
UND3RDO6 said:
If you want liberal, you want Asheville and Chapel Hill - but like someone already said, more hippies than jobs in A-ville. Chapel Hill is pretty central to everything - good schools, nice setting, jobs in RTP, just watch out for rich college kids. I currently live in Raleigh, next door to Cary, and have nothing but bad things to say about Cary. Sorry to any Cary-ites on the forum, but you have to REALLY want to tell the world how great you think you are to live in Cary. I would lean more towards CH, even though I go to NCSU...
Yeah, what he said. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey
I live In Cary!
Did I mention I live in Cary?

But I have to agree. The resterrants suck, there is no night life, the Traffic sucks and the homes are overpriced. Chapel Hill Is better on all accounts except the traffic thing.

I am kinda bias because I am moving in June between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro.

I used to live in High Point(Greensboro) and work in Charlotte and Raleigh. Out of those 2 I liked Raleigh better, Charlotte was to conjested and downtown was dead after 5pm. I really wish I would have been able to stayed in Greensboro, Great people cheap homes and centralized between the mountains and beach.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Theres just about any thing you need in Charlotte, but i would reccomend the Concord and Midland areas. Right next to Charlotte w/o the higher taxes and much better school system.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey I live in Chapel Hill and love it. Franklin is fun to go cruise, hit up on friday nights, tons of good restaurant ranging from wendys to high class french ones, great resources all around town, and all around a fairly nice place to live. I went to chapel hill high before, it's not as great as it used to be but it is still a good school, and there's a good selection of charter schools.

Another good thing is that Durham and Raleigh are right down the road pretty much, which you can get anything in those 2 towns if it's not in Chapel Hill. All I can say is, if youre looking to ride, don't even think of going into Alamance county. The roads are nice and twisty there but the pavement sucks and has potholes everywhere. I ride my ped out there to a friends house a few times a week, and it bounces around like crazy because the road quality sucks.

Good luck with your move, hope I was able to help a little.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Trman23 said:
Theres just about any thing you need in Charlotte, but i would reccomend the Concord and Midland areas. Right next to Charlotte w/o the higher taxes and much better school system.
I live i n Concord and would recomend living/working here. Tons of jobs and money! Midland is going to be the next big thing, once Harrisburg is done growing (right now its farmland) I love living in Concord!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts