Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a "salvage title" 2007 Monster 695. The previous owner went through the re-title process and did the minor repair work of fixing/painting the tank, installing dirt bike handle bars, and replacing mirror & levers. It had apparently "fallen over" while in the garage.

So, I picked it up knowing all this and figured it was no big deal ($3700). It reportedly only had 2400 miles on the clock. What I didn't know was anything about the infamous "Red Key" business as I only received one black key with the bike.

What did I do? Well, I leveraged great deal of info from this forum and took it one step at a time. Thanks for all the good info people - you rock!

The mods:
Installed custom seat with Italian flag (Corbin $440)
Opened the air box via cutting away most of the lid and added high-flow filter (K&N $65)
Installed LeoVince SBK EVO II exhaust (removed db killers) (LeoVince USA $649)
Re-flashed ECU to DP air/fuel mix & new key set (1 Red 2 Black) (Houston Superbikes $450)
Tail chop - (Competition Werkes $120)

Total invested: $5424

I actually like the fact the the tank paint job removed Ducati decals from the sides, as I think it has a better look now with minimal advertising.

Special thanks go out to Bobby at Houston Superbikes (previously Desmo Porsche) http://www.desmoporsche.com/ for talking me through the whole "Red Key" story and re-flashing the ECU to DP specs.

This bike rocks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks and sounds great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. It really wasn't all that much work - and these minor mods sure do pay off.

The seat makes a nice difference too. My passengers like that bit of scallop so they don't feel as though they are gonna slide off the back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats!! That's a nice looking bike.

I picked up an s4r without a red key and trying to mod it...harvesting all parts/mods i could in this forum and on ebay. On the red key stuff...can u suggest what needs to happen there ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as the "Red" key goes. On the 2007 M695 I have, the gauge cluster & ECU are paired via the key code. Normally you'd have received a 3 key set (1 Red, 2 Black), The Red is designated as the "Master" key of the set only because its code can't be cleared and its color. Otherwise it works like the other two. If you ever want to replace your gauge cluster with another Ducati gauge cluster or get a different Ducati ECU then I think you'd need the key set to reprogram the new component.

Bobby, at Houston Superbikes, re-flashed my ECU to DP specs and created a new 3 key set for me. I had to send him a black key, my ECU, and gauge cluster. About 10 days later I got back my gauge cluster, ECU, and three new keys (1 Red, 2 Black). I did have to get rid of my other black key because he paired my gauge cluster & ECU to the new key set. It was simple plug-n-play. She fired right up.

Also, some people have the immobilizer disabled when they have the ECU reflashed, presumably because they didn't receive the immobilizer override code, which is different from the key set's code. I chose not to have the immobilizer disabled and don't expect any issues. If I do, Bobby says he'll help me out. Some also have the immobilizer disabled because that want to use non-Ducati components.

I only received one black key when I bought my bike but it wasn't too difficult to locate a locksmith who'd duplicate a coded key for me after I supplied him with the correct blank programmable Ducati key. I'm sure you can find more info on this in the forums.

http://sosdiagnostics.com/services/ducati/
http://www.desmoporsche.com/

At this point, I think that theres been enough issues with lost red keys that Ducati has moved away from the practice.

I hope this info helps, but if you have any more questions - I'd give Bobby a call. He'll help you out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts