Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I just joined this forum but I truly have been reading it for a long while. I am 44 years old and ever since I can remember I have been in love with Ducati. My problem is I just got my license last year and I don't know if a 695 would be a bad choice for me for a first bike. I just had gastric bypass surgery 2 months ago first for my health and a close second, so I can get my monster in the spring (327 to 263 in 2 months as of this morning) So by March or April and I should be about 245 pounds 6feet 1 inch tall. I have read that the 695 is a great bike for smaller people and is a great 1st bike so I don't know where I fit in. I am not small in any way but will I be to tall????? I really don't know??? Every one I work with are Harley-Davidson blind and it would be soo fricken great to pull in to work on a monster it would be like hitting the lotto !!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would say that a monster would be a great bike for you. The word beginner bike gets thrown around a lot, and I dont care for it. Any bike can get you into trouble. There is hardly a car on the road that can outperform a motorcycle in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile. If there are those cars, they are very expensive and not usually your daily drivers you see everywhere.

Usually a bike like the monster is a good fit for some newer riders is because it has a very forgiving chassis and handles great. A twitchy 600 or 1000 cc Japanese bike is not good to learn the basics of good riding. Usually those skills are worked out beforehand. Plus lets face it, those bikes ergonomics are better suited for younger riders.

The thing I like about the monster is that the better the rider you are, the more you can get out of it. I would rather ride a bike to its edge and really enjoy it that have the newest high horsepower bike I never could get to its potential. I leave that to the racers and squids.

Congrats on your weight loss and continued success. I am 6 foot. I don't feel too tall for this bike. As I save for modifications, I will look at some ergonomic issues I have. Most of these are inherent with new bikes. Seat...it sucks. I will get a touring seat. Handlebars...little more reach than I would like. easy fix with bar risers. If you feel you legs are cramped, which I dont, then you can by different controls. All these are expensive. I have never been 100% satisfied with the comfort of any bike I have owned. The manufactures have a model size probably 5'10 160lbs in mind when the build a bike. The rest of us must adjust to this at our expense and the aftermarket gain.

Jim

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a 696 owner, I would agree the 695 should have nice handling characteristics. And I would agree it's the rider, more than the bike, that get's one into trouble. But, at 5'9" - 180, I think the Monster would be too small for your 6'1" frame - just a guess. Have you sat on one? What about a GT1000? You might find the ergo's more comfortable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am 6'1", 230lbs. and have the M1100s. The bike fits perfectly after a handlebar riser and touring seat. I am used to riding my honda cbr600 which my wife says is too small for me. I know she's just being nice since I am probably just getting too big for the bike. I personally think you would be well suited to the 1100. It's got the necessary umph to accelerate us big boys so fast that we cant wipe the smiles from our faces. The 796 may not be a bad option, but I have yet to sit on one. As for the feeling of winning the lotto. I ride with several Harley guys and my Duc makes me feel like I've won the lottery every time we ride. I wanted a ducati for 15 years before finally getting mine, and I'm sick that I waited so long. These bikes are the things that dreams are made of. I hope you have as much fun as me when you finally decide to get your Duc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Heh, I'm glad someone asked this question recently. I'm currently in the market for a Ducati and in talking with the salesperson over the phone she stated that a 696 might be a little small for me, I'm about 6' 3". It looks like the 796 has about 1.2" more seat height and she suggested that I take a look at that. The 1100 is out of my price range for what I'm willing to pay right now. What do you guys think? I plan on taking a test ride this weekend hopefully on the 796 and maybe the 696 too but the dealer only has the 696 ABS model left which they told me is about the same price as the 796 so.... I might as well go with the 796 I'm thinking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I learned on a 696. I found it to be the perfect bike for me to learn on. I am 6'2" and 230lbs and dont feel like a rhino riding a bowling ball. The bike is very forgiving and very easy to maneuver. Its just my two cents but I dont think you can go wrong with a Ducati. I think you will be pleased with the choice.

Congrats on the weight loss to

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm about 215 and have long legs so I'jm just worried about my legs feeling a little cramped. I think the dealer must have some sort of incentive to get rid of a 796. I just got a call today from them saying that they would waive the freight and setup fees and drop the price down to 8995 for a 2011 796. I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal and I can't really think of a reason to say no lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You are tall, so you might want to try out a Hypermotard or even a Multistrada. I would think that there may be some really nice Multistradas coming onto the market with the introduction of the new Mustistrada 1200. At. 5' 8" my 696 with the touring seat and bar risers is flat-footable. I've tried the Multistarda and it's great. I'd love to have a Multi, but I've go too much invested in the 696 to trade at this time. Just give them all a try and see which one fits best for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I test drove just the 796 today and it was AMAZING. I loved it. I put about 13 miles on the bike, did some highway time, not really any twisties though. But I got to test out on surface streets, stop and go, slow speed stuff, and got to twist the throttle a bit on the highway. I didn't look down all the time but I know I had it up to at least 80 a couple times :p and I think I only had it in 6th gear once lol. Now I just have to make the decision on whether or not to actually buy it, but with the deal they're giving me it's hard to say no. I couldn't stop grinning after I got back to the dealership, I can't wait to get one of these!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do it. I am a new rider. Grew up riding dirt bikes but never a real motorcycle. Bought the 796 a month ago and haven't looked back since. Have the bike going in for its first service already; it has 700 miles on it in about 3 weeks. The power is great but completely manageable. It's comfortable even though i'm an inch or two taller than six feet. And in the black it looks amazing. The only problem with the purchase is it already has me thinking about my second Ducati. I think the Multi 1200S might be the ticket...

·
Registered
158 Posts
LOL, this would be bike number 2 for me. But I don't think I'd be thinking about buying any other kind of bike for a long time if I got the 796.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I test drove just the 796 today and it was AMAZING. I loved it. I put about 13 miles on the bike, did some highway time, not really any twisties though. But I got to test out on surface streets, stop and go, slow speed stuff, and got to twist the throttle a bit on the highway. I didn't look down all the time but I know I had it up to at least 80 a couple times :p and I think I only had it in 6th gear once lol. Now I just have to make the decision on whether or not to actually buy it, but with the deal they're giving me it's hard to say no. I couldn't stop grinning after I got back to the dealership, I can't wait to get one of these!
Curious, what kind of deal did they give you? :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Curious, what kind of deal did they give you? :)
9,750 sale price on the contract for a non-ABS model. I just had to pay DMV fees on top of that (about 220 or something).

·
Registered
80 Posts
So, Mudwip, did you ever decide on a bike? I am 6'-2" and 205 lbs., just bought a '99 750 Monster and it fits me like a glove. I feel totally at home on the bike, it is responsive and balanced. I hope you are riding a Ducati and that your surgery was a success.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts