Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
Welcome CC! You should be able to fill up your tank until you see the gas. Usually when I get a warning it's somewhere in the 2.5-2.8 gal range.

And I don't mind riding with newbies, just PM me and I'm sure we can work something out.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
It's been a while since I checked in here! CityChick, do post up on the MOB and introduce yourself. We always have newer riders joining up and a core of more experienced folks to help you out with everything from your average burrito-run street ride to racing with the local clubs. There are a fair number of women in our group, too. In fact, the "Ladies Ride" that I seem to wind up organizing in the Fall usually gets one of the highest number of riders of all of our group rides! [thumbsup]

And to the rest of you, welcome to the board. We hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey gals, so happy I found this site a couple of months back, especially the woman's section. [thumbsup] I'm a middle-age Domestic Goddess who is also an artist and organic gardener.

My story started 20 years ago when I took a motorcycle class back in Chicago. I was tired of being a passenger on my hubby's bike and wanted to feel more part of the riding experience. Well due to many factors, I didn't pass the driving part and I gave up. Fast forward to last summer when we visited a local Harley dealership and I came to find out about their motorcycle class. Besides it being friendly to women in general, the bikes were NOT the dirt variety that made it impossible to touch the ground, and they gave us LOTS of time on the bikes to really learn. I signed up for a fall class and bam I past both the driving and written to get my license.

I listened to all the advice about getting a small beat-up one to practice on, verses getting the bike you like/want and thus will ride. I made my choice and that weekend I got the Sportster I had been eyeing for the past month. After major anxiety of not wanting to drop and ruin my brand new shiny bike (a week's worth of it) I kicked my stubbornness in gear and I haven't looked back. Since that time hubby had the itch to get a sports bike (to add to his collection) and off we went window shopping. After much reading, lots of parking my butt on every model out there, all the stars lined up and I stumbled upon a beautiful Monster. ;D

I look forward to chatting with this group of Monster Ladies, learning more and sharing experiences. I'm in the DFW area of Texas now, but hope to move back to where we had lived, the Texas Hill Country, when life permits. I would add that if there is something you want to try in life, then do it so you don't ever have regrets.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Nice bike, D-Mon....I'm starting to wonder if I own the shoddiest ride amongst us women! Even the newest riders have really nice bikes. [laugh]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the welcome ladies. I don't have any pics of my Duc yet and not sure when I will. The poor thing is in the shop to have the throttle fixed. Last Sunday we went to our local high school/practice area (me on my Sportster and hubby on my Duc) since I didn't want gawking neighbors watching my first run on it. Did a couple of slow laps to get the feel and it started dying for no reason. After a few more times of it dying we decided to get it home ASAP. Did some research here and found out it was a problem for some '07s. Anyway this is what it looks like stock.

It looks so much better in person as the pics just don't show off the pearl paint. So far for mods the bike has been lowered 3/4 inches. I want to get those CRG levers for my small hands (not sure if I should go black or gold), some day a gold chain and I would love to have a green pinstripe added next to the red strip and a gold Italian horn painted on the tank.

Here is me and my anniversary Sportster. The only mod to this one is new pegs and shifter.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Mostrobelle said:
Nice bike, D-Mon....I'm starting to wonder if I own the shoddiest ride amongst us women! Even the newest riders have really nice bikes. [laugh]
I guarantee mines worse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Ladies! My name is Victoria and I am an advertising executive that resides in chicago. I was born and raised in Indianapolis and after attending IU, I moved to Chicago, where I have been ever since. I love the city and can't see myself ever leaving. Vibrant night life, tons of shopping, great restaurants and bars, and fantastic riding in Wisconsin, which is a short trip away.

I currently ride an R6, but looking to dedicate that to track only and want to buy a Monster for all other riding. Originally, I was interested in an S4r/s, but after everyone's comments, a 2v bike would be more what I am looking for. So once the weather thaws out, it will be time to start the shopping for a new bike!

Just found this board today (the women section!) and look forward to talking with all of you.

Victoria

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Welcome Victoria! You are a braver woman than I....R6 scares me. Rode my fiance's on the track a little bit and I'll stick to my 400 for now! A big [thumbsup] to the 2V Monsters. Easy to work on and fairly bullet proof. I've tracked mine, too, although I decided that I needed something a little less wheelie-prone and less expensive to fix in that venue--hence the 400. I'm a big weenie on the track. [cheeky]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Welcome Victoria!! Post pics of the new bike when you get it!! I love my S2R, never roade a S4R, so can't tell you the difference. lots of threads on it on the general monster forum. Happy shopping!!

Looks like we're getting a great group of women here! Hopefully this summer we'll get a chance to meet up! Can't wait til it's warm, so until then my memories will have to do! (...and they say it's the first to go...what's that? what's to go ? dinner? did you order dinner to go? [cheeky])

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Everybody,

I am 42, a wife and mom and live in Mid Missouri. I started riding on a dirt bike when I was 12 and have had a KZ1000 race bike, a 1200 sportster and numerous ATV's. Went to Kansas City this weekend for the World of Wheels show and wound up at a Ducati dealership, just to look around a bit. When we got there, my husband spotted a great, new, 2007 black and red 695 that had already been lowered. It fit me like it was made for all of my 5'3" size. Needless to say, it's in my garage right now!!!! It's about 7 degrees outside and I have yet to ride it and it's killing me. We are traveling to Birmingham in April for the Superbike races again and my new Duc and my husbands '08 Busa will be in tow behind the RV.

I have to tell about the purchasing of the Duc though. A gal had came into the bike shop about a week before me and had shown serious interest in the bike but it was too tall for her. The shop lowered the bike then called her on the same morning that I bought it. She was a MYSTERY SHOPPER and had no intention of even purchasing it. What is even more funny is that not only do i mystery shop, the service manager of the dealership's wife and daughter do too!!!!!

I'm glad she didn't really want it!!!

I think I'll have to raise the handlebars a bit since I'm getting a little old to lean into it so much and I'll have to add a tail bag so that my 10 year old son can use it as a back rest.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all! I have a confession. I'm a Monster addict. I started riding last spring after a riding class, years of longing (and a bit of fear). My husband wasted no time getting me on my own bike---the popular first time bike- Ninja 250-- I think he didn't want me getting any ideas about trying out his BMW when he wasn't around...
after about 3 months of riding all over the midwest, I was anxious for speeds over 65 - either I need to gain a few pounds or the Ninja didn't like the highway. Well I earned my stripes and upgraded to my dream girl- Monster 696. Alas, she sits in my garage awaiting spring and dry pavement. we've only been around town a few times since I brought her home in October. I watch the road and wait for above 40...Meanwhile I'm looking for upgrades.... I love the way it looks and sounds exactly as it is but I know new pipes are a popular addition. I'm also well aware -after the Ninja- that a windsheild will make the long trips more comfortable. Is it possible to find a windshield that doesn't ruin the naked beauty of this bike? I'm torn between form and function. Is it just me? any suggestions? feel free to make fun of my girlie-girl-ness if you must but if I wanted touring comfort I would have bought a BMW Gs650.

thanks for your support [cheeky]

·
Banned
1,362 Posts
Welcome MAM and LB! Congrats on the new bikes!!! [thumbsup]

MAM, that's great you lucked out with the purchase. I also have a 2007 black/red 695 (not lowered), and I have a Cortech tail bag on it.

LB, I've heard great things about the 250 as a starter bike, I started on a Suzuki GS500.
You are one of the very first to post here with a 696, what color combo did you get?
You may want to visit the Accessories and Mods section for more suggestions on the windshield and pipes.

Both of you, don't forget to post some pictures when you get a chance. ;D

·
Registered
3 Posts
MsI ... I'm not sure if I had just made a typo or really was hoping I owned the new 696 but I actually have a 2007 695. If I had the 696 it would be the white I saw at the motorcycle show last weekend. oooh its pretty.... however my gal is the beautiful black on red. I will check out the link for mods....
thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whats up girlies! Newer chic rider in So Cal. I ride a red/black 2007 M695 and lllove it :-*. I started out riding a HD Sportster but didn't enjoy the ride as much as I thought I would. Never even rode a sportsbike until my BF talked me into taking the Keith Code Superbike Cornering class .... omg I was so nervous! I really thought the class would be way too advanced for me! The others riders were much faster than me but as far as the class goes, it's great for all level riders. What a blast! It was expensive but well worth it! It has helped boost my confidence up a few notches!! A few weeks after the class, I bought the Monster and recently sold the Sportie (she just wasn't getting any action). I do love the HD's but as far as being in control, I much more prefer the monster [thumbsup]. Always good to see fellow female riders out there! Drop me a line if you're in the Southbay area!

Teri

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Welcome...Chickenstrips, MAM, and LB.

My fiance and I will be going to Keith Code's Superbike school for half of our honeymoon (The other half will be to the Indy MotoGP); we are both really excited about it. I'm also a bit nervous about going, I have only been riding a year (4000mi). Others here tell me, as long as I can keep a bike upright I shouldn't have any problems.

Why are most of the women riders in So. Cal.? :-\ Seems like there are only a few of us spread out across the northeast.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
hellllloooooooo ladies!
my name is erin, i'm in Hamden CT and ride a 2006 620 dark, named greyson....... who i adore:). my boyfriend is on this board as well, theducman, who's just recently picked up the new 848, carmella. we pretty much ride every chance we get, and i'm in the process of getting him to go farther from home:).

i'm hoping this summer we'll hit my old home of the Catskills and tear up some mountains. grrrr. and if any gals want to do a 'girls ride out', let me know, and i'll ditch the boy, lolol. nice to meet all of you!

erin

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
femme620 said:
hellllloooooooo ladies!
my name is erin, i'm in Hamden CT and ride a 2006 620 dark, named greyson....... who i adore:). my boyfriend is on this board as well, theducman, who's just recently picked up the new 848, carmella. we pretty much ride every chance we get, and i'm in the process of getting him to go farther from home:).

i'm hoping this summer we'll hit my old home of the Catskills and tear up some mountains. grrrr. and if any gals want to do a 'girls ride out', let me know, and i'll ditch the boy, lolol. nice to meet all of you!

erin
hi erin :)
another CT girl!!!!
woooohoooo!!!!

i'm up in the litchfield hills, great riding up here.
i'd like to do a ride out to the catskills this summer,
keep in touch!

melissa

161 - 180 of 202 Posts