Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very cool, new thing. Not sure what we're going to chat about on here, but I like the fact that an estrogen component is being recognized here on the DML. [thumbsup]

So, why we get a little cozy? Tell us a bit about yourself and post up picts of your bike (and yourself if you like.) I've been told that this place is to be leg-humper free, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been on the DML for a couple of years now and hang out with the SF Chapter. I've been riding for a few years as well, and have had the same Monster most of that time--a '94 M900. I owned a Suzuki GS500 at the same time and gradually made the Monster my primary form of transportation--the Suzuki's history--hated that thing. I've even sold one of my cars (a '69 Alfa Romeo) and bought a track bike instead--an '89 Yamaha FZR400. Just started doing track days last year and I can't get enough. <checking account winces>

Here's my bike. Not the most recent picture, as I've gotten new rearsets and a lot more wear and tear on the old girl. She just passed 36K a week or so ago. 18K of those are mine. I've even gone to the track on her once or twice and she just keeps plugging along. I'm learning how to wheelie...slowly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Judging by all the tools it looks like you just completed a valve adjustment [laugh]

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, it was just a tail chop. [laugh] I've only attempted one valve adjustment on my bike. The next one's coming up in a few weeks. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hello Fellow Monster Women! Good to meet you and hope you are doing well.

I've been reading the DML for a few months and not long ago I started posting and meeting the San Francisco crowd.

I've ridden 5500 miles to-date (since Fall '04). My first 1000 miles was on a Ninja 250. A year ago, I became a Monster rider :D Since then, I haven't stopped smiling. I admire those who work on their bikes -- as for me, it's better that I leave it alone when not riding - to give you an idea why that is - I checked the tire pressure once (the first and only time) and let all the air out and had to call roadside assistance to put air back in. Can't go dumber than that!

I ride as often as I can these days ;D When I started taking the bike outside the city to the twisties, I realized I didn't know how to corner well. That led me to track school. I've taken the Monster to track school once - we both did well. Since then I've returned to track school a few more times but ride the school's bike, a Kawasaki 636. I'm in the midst of getting a track bike.

Here's a couple of pics - my current Monster life and pre-Monster days. Oh, I always ride with full gear - that one is me riding in a parade, an annual without gear exception [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Okay girls, here's me and my bike...

It's got 15,000 miles on it (all mine except the ride home from the dealer). I've been riding over five years, now. Live in Sacramento where it's way too hot to ride in full gear, but I do it anyway. Haven't yet taken the track day plunge, I do fear for my checking account.

I've also got my Blast, but it is sitting at home with a dead battery, so what does that tell you?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Kudos to you girls who have posted up already! Great to hear from you and your backgrounds. Me? Well, I am in Arizona, and can't even think about riding right now, really looking forward to the Ouray trip and getting out of this hellacious heat.

I bought my Monster back in March 2002, a total impulse, I had never ridden a street bike myself before that. I had been dating a guy who had a 996, and I hated riding "cupcake", it was a miserable experience every single time we got on it as I am 5'9" and the way the passenger seat and pegs are put my knees pretty much up by my ears. To make a long story short, after yet another grueling 200 mile motoGP style ride through some canyons, we ended up at the Ducati dealer where he had to check on something. As I stood there waiting, with every part of me screaming in pain legs, arms, neck, butt, etc. I saw the new '02 620 Monster sitting there. The owner of the store saw me glance at it, walked over, I asked him if he thought I could ride it, he said "yes" and I was signing a purchase order about 30 seconds later. I was willing to do anything not to have to get back on the back of that 996! Biggest and quickest impulse buy I have ever made.

Took three weeks to actually get it, so I took the MSF course in the interim and got my "M" endoresement, so was ready to go when it finally got to me. Found out I really loved riding! The lil' Monster now has about 15,000 miles on it. Last November I bought an '05 749 to add to the garage ;D Sadly I sold that about a week or so ago with about 5000 miles on it.

I don't have any great pictures of me with either of the bikes like you all have posted, but I do have a couple that were taken at the Freddie Spencer School that I attended last March.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I too was a "cupcake" and decided that I didn't like not having any say in just how fast we would go. My hubby gave me my MSF course for my 30th and I got my bike the following spring.

I've been riding just over 2 yrs now and the 620 was my first bike ever, I've just sold her :'( because I have a new to me bike parked in the garage now. I splurged and decided in a matter of a day that I was going to be the winning bidder on an M900, and I was. ;D

With the 620 I learned how to take corners...wrong, but luckily with a couple of track days under my belt learned to corner properly. Unfortunately for my 620 I learned to ride harder than that bike could handle. At the track I was getting my bike and my body so far over that I was scraping parts...bad. At one point my rear tire left the ground as I used my pipe to scrape along instead. Talk about a pucker moment. :-X

I've learned alot in the past 2 yrs of riding and will learn a heck of a lot more with this new bike of mine, I'm sure.

The first pic is me on the 620 at a local track, and the second is of my new ride. ;D

Tanya

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Cool!

Well, here is some background....

I've been riding 3 years, I started on an old Kawasaki EX 500. Got the Monster new in 04, she's my baby. Just turned 15,000 miles on the way back from Laguna Seca. I'm in SoCal which means I can ride pretty much year round. I've started getting into track days which is an awesome experience, if only my bank account could keep up.

Here is a beauty shot of the bike, there have been a few changes since then but the bike is largely stock

my first open track day---check out that lean angle ::) [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome ladies! [clap] I already know more about all you in this little thread in one day than I have in my entire time on the DML. The photos of everyone on/with their bikes are great. It's nice to put the names with the faces. Let keep it up--cept for me, cuz I'm a big chicken in front of the camera. ;D It would be great to use this thread as an introductory place for all the women on the board.

btw, t-byrd, saw photos of you on the new bike in another thread. It looks great! Very unusal Monster....never seen one quite like that. I like it a lot.

Aprilmaybe...no bashing on yourself--you got on the track. How many other women did you count out there? Yeah...give yourself a pat on the back chica.

SheMonster--that's about the cutest pic ever. You look so happy! I can't help smiling when I see it.

OK, I'm done being all mushy and supportive now. Aren't we supposed to exchange recipes and start raggin' on each others' hair? [cheeky]

·
Registered
826 Posts
I started riding in 1983. I learned on a Sunday in an empty parking lot and then bought a Yamaha Seca 750 the next day. Now 23 years and 5 bikes later I ride a 2000 Monster 900sie. I did my first track class at Laguna in 1998. My partner Laura came to Laguna with me this year for the first time. After walking the track, she could not believe that I made it through the class! I remember getting chided for not going FAST on the front straight. My thought is that is easy to go fast in a straight line. It is the corners I want to focus on. Even now, I would not call myself a fast rider. I like to be smooth and focused, trying to get a sense of flow.

I am glad for this space in monster land. To often a thread ends up with pictures of half naked women. At 42 with a head full of grey hair (started at 15) I don't think my picture is what the guys want to see [laugh]

Mary

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Ladies!  My Monster is a week and a day old and I love it!  It's a new world of riding for me.  I got my license a few years ago, when I decided I didn't want to be a passenger behind my husband any more, but didn't really start riding until the middle of last summer (on a Ninja 250).  The beginning of this season I moved up to a Ninja 500, which I had a for a few months, and then a week after the M695 was released, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to demo one and fell in absolute love.  I sold the 500 and now I have this great bike.  It does already need its first service...  ;D

It's great to know you are here!  Nice to meet you all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey fellow fembot monster mashers--I'm new to the board, and happy to find some other girls making space for ourselves..I've got a monster 620 and live up in the canyons in Malibu, just a shout out to say if there's anybody who'd like to ride any ole time(boys or girls), give me a holler and let's go canyon zipping! best,C.!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello gals! It is so nice to meet all of you!

I was perfectly content with driving a car until last fall, when my husband (DMLer Sqweak) somehow convinced me to go to MSF. He had been encouraging me to learn to ride since he bought his Monster last spring. He had some crazy idea that I might actaully enjoy riding. ;) I had never been on a motorcycle before, not even as a passenger. Within the first hour of the course, I was hooked. :) By the end of the first night, I was already frustrated with the people who were not going as fast as I wanted to go. ;) My instructor even commented that it was obvious that I was engaged to a Ducati rider. ;) I passed my class and got my license!

Unfortunately, I don't have any street experience, but I'm hoping to remedy that soon. We actually just got married, I just moved to SoCal (from Missouri), and I took both the Missouri and California bar exams this year, so I really haven't had a lot of time for other activities. :( But now that the studying is out of the way, it's time to get some practice so I can go to the canyons with everyone else. ;)

Over the last year, we've been piecing together my gear. So far, I have an Icon jacket, an Arai helmet, and pink gloves! :D Now that MotoGP has become a Sunday ritual, I've had to add some cute Ducati wear to my closet. ;)

As for the bike, I'm going to take over my hubby's S2R 800 and I'm going to have it painted hot pink. >:D Well, the stripes anyway. And maybe the wheels. ;) What can I say, I'm just trying to make it a little more girlie. ;)

I don't have any pictures of me doing anything bike related. :( But here is a picture of me from my swearing in ceremony for the Missouri Bar. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
yay!  Finally!  Good idea, whoever did this!  Some of my other sportbike boards have "women only" sections, so this was a great idea.

My name's Lucy, everyone either knows me as Cookie or Cookie Monster (get it -- ha ha.  ::)  :-X yeah.)  I have a 620 which I adore, everyone has named it the giggle bike, because riding it is waaay too much fun.  Job wise, I work a dream job at a northern virginia motorcycle dealership in sales, and it's so much fun.  It's been great to have all the women folk coming through the doors lately.  And it's been wild the questions I get and the questions the guys can't answer -- like do tank bags and boobs get in the way, which is my personal favorite so far (with that bike, the answer was yes). 

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all better.  Sorry I don't have any pics yet, but I'm working on it.  Thanks again for the great DML addition!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all,
I just got my used monster 620 a couple months ago... and I've ridden it exactly 3 times. ???
Long story but needless to say, I'm dying to ride more.
I've been reading the board for 3 months and I was so surprised tonight to find this thread. IT'S GREAT! [thumbsup]
I've been trying to pay attention to the women on here and this is a great way to do that.
Sorry, I have no pics to post right now but I will find some soon.
It will be nice to talk to all of you,
Christina
btw, if I may make a suggestion for a new thread, how about a women's gear section? ;D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
wow! this is a spanking idea gals [thumbsup] i was always wandering where we all can get together and chat, its kind of hard to find all the girls through the sea of guys [laugh].....

well I have been riding for about a year now. I hope to try and make it out to a track day….

Where shall I begin, last summer i was really thinking about riding and then next thing I know I was in a kawasaki shop buying a 250 ninja, that’s what people were suggesting be a good starter bike. I rode that for about 8 months and decided that I wanted something with a little more power and more spankingly sexier. So my uncle keep taking me to the ducati shop and we starting to talk the guys and next thing I knew I was riding a monster home..... and its been becoming an obbseions really quick, i have found my crack [laugh] [thumbsup]

I have only had him since april and have a 1000 miles, I need to get more often ;D [laugh]……

But now I’m in the process of molesting him, so far I have
Lowered it and 1”
14T front sprocket
Frame sliders

When I get home I will post some pics [thumbsup]

its nice to meet y'all and i'll always be lurking >:D [laugh]

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Ladies,

Great idea for a girlie forum!

Here's my scoop.... Spent too much time riding as a passenger, and finally decided it would be more fun in the driver's seat. Took the MSF class, and got my M620 last year… now she has approx 4000 miles. I live outside of NYC and have great twisties in my backyard.

I plan to hit the track sometime soon…..

Thanks for the overdue addition to the DML [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Cool!  It’s very nice to “meet” all of you ladies – what a great idea for the DML.  It’s nice to be able to put a name with a face now as I recognize most of your “names” from previous posts.

Anyway, I’m new to motorcycles... Got a late start of it I guess; bought my first bike (a new ’05 M620D) last year at the age 44.  I took the MSF before hand just to make sure I’d like it, then took the plunge and haven’t looked back since.

The 620 now has 22,000 miles on it; tons of rural rides through the country where I live, with some city riding thrown in every now and then just for grins.  Then about 7 months after I had the bike I decided to try a track day…

OMG is there anything better? (on a bike!  Let’s clarify [laugh] ) I can completely sympathize with T-Byrd and dragging bike hard parts; ground-down the rear brake pedal… YIKES...  sparks flying and everything according to one completely freaked-out instructor following me.

So I did the only logical thing and got an SBK (and kept the 620).  We found a nice “pre-owned” 999 for not a lot of scratch and I have SOOO enjoyed that bike!  Track days are a scream with that thing – I can’t wait for the next one (a mere 42 days from now… but who’s counting?!?)

Well that’s my Ducati story and I’m sticking to it!  I also race sports cars (Alfa Romeo GTV-6) on the weekends during the SCCA race season; February through October. 

(Yes, I am a completely hopeless gearhead... )

My husband is a “biker” as well and commutes on his Triumph Sprint.  Our eleven year old son is not interested at all in bikes or cars and would just as soon stay inside and play X-Box all day!  Heck in this heat lately, who can blame him?

Oh well, you ladies ride safe out there and I look forward to meeting you in person one day.

Lisa

P.S.  Here are a few pix (I unfortunately have no idea how to shrink them down to a less gigantic size… Sorry.  The pix of me on the 620 – all serious as Grim Death, lol! – was taken on the day I came home from picking up the bike… brand new.  Since then, the bike has been heavily modded (second photo). Working on getting a few photos of me and the Ducs at a track day…)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
And just one more; me and the Alfa race car at a recent test day...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
boyblondie said:
btw, if I may make a suggestion for a new thread, how about a women's gear section?  ;D
Good idea, I will start a thread where we can discuss what gear we have and why or why not we like it. In addition to that, for general information, a lot of info can be found in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) forum - here's one specifically about women's gear for ya! http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/topic,54886.0.html

1 - 20 of 202 Posts