Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is starting college and I am going to have to sell my S4R. I have tried to figure out how to keep him from eating for 4 years so I can keep the bike, but the longest I can keep him off food is 30 days.

See the classified section if interested.

If you feel really bad for me send cash so I can keep my Monster.

I will consider an older M900 in partial trade.

R

·
0 Posts
yeah heck yeah.....have him get a job....do you know how many miles I had to walk to school in the snow..... ;)

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I second (or is that third) have him get a job. I paid my entire way while working throughout school, left with $600 in student loans to pay off. It can be done...

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Make a deal with your kid that if you sell your bike for his tuition, when he gets out of school and lands a job he buys you a new Duc to replace the one that fed him for the last 4 years.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My other hobby is collecting watches...

Make a deal with your kid that if you sell your bike for his tuition, when he gets out of school and lands a job he buys you a new Duc to replace the one that fed him for the last 4 years.
I told my daughter when she graduates and gets a good job, she owes me a Patek Philippe. ;)

The reason I'm still waiting to pick up my bike is I had to finish paying off her semester's tuition last week so she can register early for next semester. That was half a Monster. ;(

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already told him he had to buy me a new bike. He is going to work also, but the school is so expensive.... Unfortunately we do not qualify for the free ride thing. Tough to be middle class.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My son is starting college and I am going to have to sell my S4R. I have tried to figure out how to keep him from eating for 4 years so I can keep the bike, but the longest I can keep him off food is 30 days.

See the classified section if interested.

If you feel really bad for me send cash so I can keep my Monster.

I will consider an older M900 in partial trade.
link in the classified section doesnt resolve.

·
Registered
849 Posts
How does this work, you son doesn't qualify for loans because you're midle class? My wife and I paid our own ways through college by means of loans, grants, scholarships, 30 hours of work a week each and a Top Ramen diet. And we did it in three years.

But whatever you have to do, man. It's your son and he's worth it.

-R.

V

·
0 Posts
have you thought of selling the son and keeping the bike? ;D

i mean it IS an S4R

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Coming from someone still going through school and having to pay my own way... you try harder because you don't want to waste your own money. My parents had told me originally that (back when I finished h.s.) that they'd pay for 50% of school but as soon as I got lower then a C in a class I had to pay 100%.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try this
http://home.rose.net/~bpatacca/lastest.htm

My wife and I both did the pay for our own college and work thing. I was working full time to pay for it. It was difficult for us and we both decided not to do that for our kids. As long as I can afford it we are paying for the school and housing, he pays for the extras. If I do without a bike for a few years its okay, there will be something new and exciting by Ducati then also. Son number 2 is going to MMI, so I am going to get a built in technician.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My hats off to you for making that sacrifice to better your son's future. [smiley=waytogo.gif] Good luck and just think of the sweet bike you'll be getting down the road .

R

·
0 Posts
If he fails anything while in school, kick his ass. You are doing the right thing.

M

·
0 Posts
Make sure he majors in something that pays....no Botany Majors.

I have a daughter that went into Deaf Education, she is 29 and teaches the poor in Philly....I still subsidize her altruistic notions...Masters from BU.......

if he wants to be a Botany or Art Appreciation Major...introduce him to Soup Kitchens near his campus, MREs and surplus Vietnam-era K and C rations...and keep riding...I don't see the price of Ducati's going down over the next 4 or 5 years and cost of replacement will exceed value of sale exponentially

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Ramen Diet I remember some of those days. Mac and cheese at 19 cents a box.....now that's even better. Those noodles kinda of "swell" in the stomach.
My son just joined the Navy and i'm pretty sure he'll get a little more to eat than just noodles and an education to boot.
Don't sell the S4R. Who knows when your son will graduate. When he finally gets his PHD you'll be in big boy diapers. :p

S

·
0 Posts
Being in college myself I can attest to the difficulties in paying for it.
Now more than ever, thanks to some thoughtful tax cuts, my tuition has gone up by 40%. All state schools in Texas had cuts in funding... However it is not impossible to pay for college yourself, it just gives you a handicap when competing for the top grades, and consequently the top internships etc...

I have not relied on my parents ever since I got in college, and we are also midle class, and we don't qualify for the subsidized loans.
There is such a thing as private loans, check out Bank One. I got a 15K loan through them, and it works just like an unsibsidezed loan, all I pay it the monthly interest (better than not affording school). Unsubsidized federal loans are a good option (interest is about 2.8%) tell your son to go talk to the financial aid office.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck. Education is the only thing that can save America from its self destructive ignorance.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I already told my son that he is responsible for 1/3 of his education...I'll pay 1/3 and my ex will pay 1/3--the more they are responsible for the more likely they will finish on time.

gnew

W

·
0 Posts
BPT--- tough call but a good one! The less money that you owe when you get out of college the better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts